$12 for an oil plug gasket?!?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by jimclark, May 31, 2014.

1. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

According to the Ford Parts site, a replacement "engine oil pan drain plug gasket", part # 6734, qty 1 per pkg, costs $12.13.

I can buy a large pizza for less than an oil plug gasket? Really? The plug itself, part # 6730, only runs $11.50. Wha-huh?

And of course I'm borderline obsessive about using the right parts . . . .
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

The "right part", in this case, is anything that functions to stop leaking oil.
    The "gasket" is actually just an O-ring, and It's re-usable for the life of the vehicle unless you damage it. That same plug and O-ring combination is used on many other Ford vehicles. My 2004 Ranger uses the exact same plug in it's 4.0L engine.

You could also just get rid of the plug and install a valve to replace it. I've had one in my Ranger for many years, and have now put one in my ST.
    jimclark likes this.
  4. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Oh, I hear ya, reddog. Just marveling at the ridiculous nature of the Ford Parts site.

Question for ya regarding the Fumoto part--I understand the drain plug/valve needs an adapter to fit in the tight space, but have received information indicating Fumoto doesn't make said adapter, that one instead has to get the adapter from another maker. What's your experience?
  5. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Yes, the Fiesta requires an extension adapter due to the recessed location of the drain plug in the pan, but Fumoto doesn't actually sell stuff. I ordered the valve & extension from http://www.qwikvalve.com/. Beware of other places selling knock-offs.
    jimclark likes this.
  6. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Thanks for the recommendation for a reputable outfit selling the Fumoto parts. Placed my order with 'em. Looking forward to never having to wrestle with a drain plug again!
  7. What is the plug bolt diameter? I figure if the gasket goes belly up I'll just start using crush washers. I'm guessing by the photos it is about 14mm. That would be nice as I have a whole bag of crush washers in that size.
  8. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

The bolt is 14 x 1.5. But you're unlikely to have gasket problems because the factory plug uses an O-ring. It should last nearly forever.
    Methane Herder likes this.
  9. My bike uses 14mm also, so if the FiST's gasket ever does give out I have a little parts Interchangeability going for me. Thanks!
  10. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Installed the Fumoto valve a bit over a month ago, with adapter, (both ordered through qwikvalve.com), no problems, and all is well. Thanks again for the tip re: the supplier.
  11. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

I just bought a Dimple magnetic plug to use. The magnet is crazy strong. I'm interested in seeing what it will pick up.