2014 Solo Nationals

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Couldahadav8, Sep 3, 2014.

1. RavynX

RavynX Member

Hey CrookedRacer, was good to meet you out there. There were only 2 FiSTs and a buttload of FoSTs out there with varying setups and so-so weather conditions on Friday so it was hard to get a good assessments but it looks like the FiST was about 2 seconds behind the FoST on each course. I ran my S2000 in STR on Tues/Wed if anyone wants to see a clear view of the course...

Day 1 - East

Day 2 - West
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Travis T

Travis T New Member

Nice, I used to have a Laguna Blue 06 S2000 as well. Great cars!
  4. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

It was good to meet you too! I will try to come up with a good write up on my experience at Nationals and post it here soon. I was happy it was a large field, with diverse makes and models. I also met in person at least three or four contributors to this forum, which was really cool.
    Smokin and Mightymango like this.
  5. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Repost from my GRM build page:

I just got back from Nationals on Sunday night, and I learned a lot on this trip. It was my nats debut, and it's hard to sum up the whole thing in a short(ish) post.

One thing I'm appreciative of is all the other Washington DC Region folks who were there to help with plenty of camaraderie, advice, taunts, and tomfoolery.

Also it was fun to meet in person many of the Fiestast.net peeps that have been discussing autocrossing in the Fiesta ST all season long.

This being my first trip to Nationals, I tried to make the most of it. On the way out, my girlfriend Kendra and I participated in the Nationals Snap Crap Challenge, a scavenger hunt for predetermined things to snap pictures of. That really shortened the 20 hour drive.

We brought bikes to get around the paddock, and a go-kart to fart around with. Unfortunately it was so hot the first couple days, we just wanted to get into the a/c after my runs. So I did a few "victory laps" around the paddock, but other than that, it didn't get much use. Still, I think it could have been a fun toy had everyone been around to play with it.

As far as car setup, I was sick of driving the Direzzas because I could never find a pressure that was high enough to prevent sidewall collapse, yet low enough to prevent massive wheelspin. That is, at what should have been the sweet spot where I got neither, I got both. I got a set of Falken Azneis 615k 215/45-16 tires on Motegi MR125 rims from Radial Tire, who also shaved them for me to take out the squirm.

I ran the Koni's at half firm all around, and that felt pretty good. The tires performed well, too. They didn't suffer from the heat or get greasy like earlier versions of the Falkens were fabled to have done.

So I felt good after day 1, West course. Three Clean runs, pushing it a little too hard on run 3. So I found the limits of my driving ability, the car, or both. Cool.

Day 2, not as much. The East course was faster, which got me on the rev limiter all the time. I coned the first run, and got a clean run on my second run, although it felt slow. I really felt like I could knock off a half a second at least for my third run. But I hit that same cone and pissed the rest of the run away. The poor raw time was solely the result of giving up in disgust.

One thing I learned is that 20th out of 27 at Nationals isn't a terribly bad thing. There are factors. There are worse things. I was a little down on myself for not getting the run I wanted on the East course. But I saw a Facebook post today... This was a guy there who finished 14th out of 16 in his class and was happy just to have run with such a great group of drivers. That, I feel, is the attitude to have. And upon reflection, I'm really grateful for the experience I had as part of the very first-ever, epic, G-Street Nationals class.

In between runs on the practice course on Wednesday:

Classing up the Marriott complex in Indianapolis on the way home:

G-Street was a pretty big class this year.

Starting on the East course...
    Smokin, Mightymango, k757 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  7. Des

Des Active Member

John (CrookedRacer) and Greg (Smokin), it was a pleasure to meet you both and see two well driven FiSTs in action.
    Two good friends finished 1-2, and I know just how hard they worked to grab every single thousandth of a second. It was a terrific battle.
    Smokin likes this.
  8. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yeah? You find the "tire to have." Falkens are a step above Dunlops and no other tire fits. And I think I got grip!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    CrookedRacer likes this.
  9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

BTW, those Minis? Have $2800 "port installed" Cooper S suspensions...including increased spring rates, struts and bars....
    Mightymango likes this.
  10. Mightymango

So port installed is ok.....that is a nice little loop hole. All I want is some flipping alignment adjustment.
    Smokin likes this.
  11. Mightymango

The new star specs are considerably better in my opinion, I ran them at a solopro school and had 3 people drive on them at the event the following day. The grip was better and the turn in was substantially better. Also the "flapping" that the original ZII could do under hard braking was not evident to me or the co-drivers in my car. Can't say they are any better then the Falkens though.
  12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I used a really big pry bar to the top nut when tightening down the top three and got to the factory setting of -1.3 L and -1.4 R. :)
  13. Mightymango

Which is a far cry from the Celica and their magic crash bolts.
  14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

And the Genesis, and the Neon,
  15. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

As long as it's on the Window Sticker as a line item it's legal...Basically in HS you can get the lightest no option base Mini, with the stiffest Sport Suspension available from the manufacture. This option used to be call SS+ ( now just referred to as Sport) The spring rates have never been officially published, but The Team Teal car is very fast and very composed through every transition on its Sport package with the JCW optioned springs and Double rears and single fronts... and a rear sway bar. It's basically a "street/stock" legal STF trunk kit.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Smokin likes this.
  16. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

Keep writing your letters to the SEB...The SCCA is a member club. And in recent years they ( the rules makers) have responded very well to overwhelming member comment on issues just like this.

Sad thing is the aftermarket has a part # already out for this exact application.
    http://www.oscaroparts.com/see-product-5970244-7436-p gets you additional -1.0 to -1.5 plus factory allowance. (-2.5 max total if you can already get to -1.0 with tightening tolerances)
  17. Mightymango

That link didn't get me to the exact part, do you have the correct link so I can use it as reference.
  18. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

It's AC Delco equivalent of SPC bolt kit 81250. I used to be a Delco reseller so I had access to them.. The Ingals, Delco and some others are all stamped SPC on the top of them..
  19. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

And IMHO the MINI isn’t even the fastest HS car. I beat the MINIs often in 2005 in my Audi 90 and that was in a basically stock car with Koni yellows and a muffler. Sure the MINIs have gotten faster but the Audi pushed pretty bad and I would love to have been able to install a stiffer rear bar like you can now.

IMHO even so I think the FiST is not an HS car. The question IMHO is can shocks plus experience make it a GS car?
  20. Mightymango

Based on my experience in the FoST this weekend, no shocks plus experience would not make it a top GS car. That was with Trevor driving my car (no shocks but experience) he finished lower then he did in the FoST. Sure...locally GS would work but nationally unless the FoST gets moved, the celicas all explode, the Genesis disappear and no one else drives a Volvo it will never be a top GS car.

With tuning/time and driver experience it could be more competitive in HS and maybe have another car in HS that is actually "worth" having.

Driving the FoST this weekend showed me that if that car had a real front diff....WOW....but as it is, it gives people a reason to actually want to drive in GS.

All this is in IMHO but that is what it felt like after driving both cars on what was basically a mirrored course from Saturday/Sunday.
    Smokin likes this.
  21. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

See, but I think it is. It matches up quite favorably with the last gen Focus SVT in terms of power and weight ratios. And HS needs a bit of new blood in it. Next year is the perfect chance to find out how good this car can be. The New Mini are already in GS so there are really now other "new" cars ready to challenge the older r50-r56 Minis in HS.

It also depends on how GS and DS shape up with the 2015 Street realignment. If the fast GS cars go to DS and the fast HS cars come up to GS. I think it's a Mini FiST battle that is quite good. If everything stays the same, No the FiST will never run at the top of GS. Especially with the talent that's coming into GS FoSTs next year on the East coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mightymango and Smokin like this.