2014 Solo Nationals

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Couldahadav8, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Mightymango and TRev, I appreciate your experiment this weekend. I looked at the PAX results, and I noticed that relative to top PAX time (top PAX/your PAX), TRev was at .959 with the Fost and .955 with the Fist. Mightymango was at .936 with the Fost and .945 with the Fist.

The data can be looked at and construed multiple ways. When we compare the cars versus the average run, here are the "results":

I used Excel to calculate the average run for each day (compared to all of the other drivers) and then the standard deviation. Based on the average and standard deviation, we can calculate a T-score, which is a psychometric measurement of distance from the "middle." Higher scores equal faster times relative to the average.

Saturday Fost: Overall avg: 41.489 SD: 1.980 T-scores: Trev: 63.795 Ryan: 58.807
    Sunday FIST: Overall avg: 44.688 SD: 2.279 T-scores: Trev: 62.773 Ryan: 60.632
    Of course, there are many pitfalls in statistics not the least of which have to do with the assumption of a normal distribution (I didn't have time to look at this statistically) that mean these findings might be spurious. Read with caution and make no true, confident inferences based on the data.

The comparison to control approach used by Trev has its merits.

Compared to Andy Weigel. The Weigel index (higher is better): FOST: Trev: 1.019 Ryan: .994
    FIST: Trev: 1.000 Ryan: .989

The Weigel index supports Trevor's impressions.

I am not sure what to make of all these data. They do not give a clear answer as to which is better. It could just all be noise, but it was an entertaining diversion over lunch.

Please save comments about all of the pitfalls of using statistics like these. There is a clear disclaimer that this sort of data mining could and probably will result in spurious findings and conclusions. If you have the time, look at the data yourself. There are so many sources of error and noise in the data that I am not sure they can really answer our question here. As always, remember that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Who is moving to a FoST....I am already half trying to get out of my FiST and into a BRZ or something, but if everyone is jumping into GS in a FoST that will seal the deal for me. Regretting selling the mini really.
  4. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

If you want a really nice BRZ/FRS that's already done for STX pm me. I know of one..

And who? A little birdie told me a couple of trophy winners in HS and STX are seriously looking. And don't regret selling the Mini, after it gets out of warranty, they really go to shit (at least the ones that are close to me)
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  5. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I think it's way too early to make plans for next year, we still don't know how the classes will shake out and we also don't know how fast the car will be with development. My experience is that the car is not the fastest car in our PAX class but that it's in the hunt at every event. Currently despite winning just one event I'm leading the season standings with one event to go :). Given how tough our PAX class is that says a lot about the car.

That said since my Solstice hasn't sold in tempted to buy some Hankooks for it and see how well it could do in AS, perhaps saving the FiST for wet events. Unfortunately I can't just run out and buy a new car again so I have to work with what I have.
  6. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I am thinking of sitting on this thing at least through the winter. Unless they re-class it I won't be in the hunt for anything at most events...but doesn't make sense to get something new now when I can just use this all winter and then re-evaluate next spring when class changes - if any - are made. I could probably be leading in my class through participation if I didn't miss the last two events. But, winning without winning seems empty.

I just can't see shocks making up that much of a difference for the car.
  7. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I would love to get into a FRS/BRZ right now, but decided that doing so right now doesn't make sense...I should just drive this all winter and see what happens in the spring.
  8. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

It's a bright orange one, you've seen a lot this year. Co drives are available for interested parties. and I know that certain someone is looking for a FoST/FiSt.
  9. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

We can always try swapping my rear shocks on yours at a future NNJR event.
  10. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

And they fit diameter and length wise?
  11. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I'd like to hear more details about you guy's experiences and especially what trev thought of the FiST.
  12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I agree. Send your letters to the SCCA SEB asking for a move to HS. I'm all for that. BTW the classing decisions will be made at the next board meeting around 10/10/14.
  13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Then you weren't going against the 2008 minis with the Cooper S suspension.......
  14. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Yea...the mini is a class killer
  15. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

According to the Fasttrack news....all class changes will be posted NEXT month...so look for the November Fasttrack. That being said I to have been looking but I am not getting rid of the FiST. It is way too fun locally to just dump and I actually like it as my daily. One of the two cars (FiST or FoST) is going to move...if the FoST stays in GS then I would be inclined to pick one up and keep the FiST for HS. All depends on how a couple other cars/classes get sorted.
    Smokin likes this.
  16. Mightymango

It is but the FiST is still new....things can change and we do have more power. With Reno in HS it would be tough anyway...but I think it would be more competitive in HS then GS (Unless the FoST moves up) but then we just have to wait until all the Celicas blow up.
    jasyatz likes this.
  17. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I think the FiST - Mini competition would be good. I was faster in my mini, but that was pretty well set up. The lack of alignment adjustability is the same issue older VWs suffered from. But with shocks, a bar, tires etc the Fist could possible challenge a mini. The power is meaningless since boost in 1st and 2nd is limited and with no diff you just spin the power away. So they could be close.

As a daily it is a great car...lost of fun on the road.
    Smokin, jasyatz and Mightymango like this.
  18. Mightymango

I don't want to speak for Trevor but he did say he liked the FiST. (Trevor also has 7 years more experience then I do...this is just my 2nd full season) That being said...I liked the FoST....but I think some of it has to do with what Trevor has done to it. The FiST likes to be thrown into corners more and it easier to apply power then the FoST. The FoST has good power and rotates well, I could actually feel the e-diff working when going through a slalom.

(As a note with the cooler temps and watching the pressures we were running in the FoST I actually went 40/37 for pressures and the FiST felt really good there...maybe could have gone higher in the front)

As the results show I was actually faster in the FoST then I was in my own car and more time with it I'm sure I could have done better still. The car does feel larger on course but I was able to adjust for the width even though I had a couple dirty runs (one I was maybe an inch too close). The power can be modulated well and I was able to accelerate in places that I didn't think I would be able to. I still think I drove it too soft as Trevor was way more aggressive (wheel spin) then I was. No it was not because it was not my car, I have co-drove plenty so I know I can drive it like it is mine.

I know I am not the fastest guy out there but I think I can hold my own in my region which has a lot of fast guys so my opinion may or not matter. (22nd pax overall in the Fist out of 120plus drivers) I really think that with a little more suspension "tuning" and hopefully a tsb that allows cam bolts maybe the FiST could be more competitive in HS but on NATIONAL level courses the FiST is just too outclassed for GS.

In the end I am still glad I have the FiST but hope I have a chance to run it at nats in HS not GS.
  19. Mightymango

True the power is lower in 1st and 2nd.. if we had more in the lower gears it would probably just spin them even more. I was just meaning more power at lower revs. I think another year of "testing" on the car could make them very close....but that is just hopeful guessing.
  20. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

right now the biggest issue for me is that I don't have as much fun autocrossing...mainly because I feel like I am fighting with the car. The mini would do what ever I wanted it to do. FiST not so much....that is my main reason for considering moving to another car.
  21. Mightymango

In that regard...I would say the Focus does "more" but still has no camber adjustment like the FiST which surprised me.