2015 Fiesta ST Rumours?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by hyatt, Apr 6, 2014.

1. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

According to the US regulation, they would be required on all passenger vehicles by 2018.

Sent from my iPad Air using sephamore.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

With the backup camera comes the backup sensors in the bumper cover. To me they are ugly. And since the backup camera is more of an afterthought they just stuck it where the plate lights are. It's not super obvious, but doesn't really integrate well with the exterior.

[​IMG]

4. quiznos

quiznos Member

Bastards! Also yes, ugly look.
    I mean is it that hard to keep kids from jumping in the way of moving cars? Or hiding underneath them?
    No amount of technology will replace dumbass. Or bad parenting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

5. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

I have the feeling some people rely solely on these technologies in order to drive...

quiznos likes this.
  6. DirtyBlueshirt

Rely? No. Greatly appreciate? Yes.

Sent from my iPad Air using sephamore.

7. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

I didn't say all, I said some. And I'd bet there's people out there that rely on on these technologies in order to drive. Reverse camera only, no mirrors, no head turns to actually check. The Fusion has that lane keeper thing where if you hit a lane line it will turn you back into the lane. I could see people sitting there texting while driving down the highway using the lane keeper to keep them relatively in their lane.

quiznos likes this.
  8. DirtyBlueshirt

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I thought you were generalizing.

9. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

Tech seems to evolve to accommodate the lowest common denominator. People who needz to be wired in at all times, will suck the fun out of the on ramp perfect apex.

reddog99 and quiznos like this.
  10. wash

wash Active Member

The first generation of cars with mandatory reverse cameras will have the cameras well integrated in to the design and probably only add 4-5 ounces of weight.

Since we ARE going to have an infotainment system with a big screen in the dash, I would rather have all the gimics.

I'm not so much in love with a backup camera but I don't like the fact that some Titanium's have a feature that my ST lacks.

11. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

If it saves one kids life it's worth it. Also it's not only kids, sometimes there are hidden objects like bikes, toys... also there are blind spots on this car (when you're backing up) that you can't see even if you use your mirrors and shoulder check properly.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  12. quiznos

quiznos Member

You could make non municipal vehicles illegal. That would save countless lives.
    Also, how often are you backing up your car without getting into it first? Just look behind the car before you get in...

13. quiznos

quiznos Member

I've seen, on multiple occasions, people back into cars, and buildings. Actually right through the glass of my office (an old dealership).
    People tend to still turn and look over their sholder, or they see just how close it will let them get to something.

14. quiznos

quiznos Member

People are trusted to use good judgement when it comes to drink driving, but backing up... Yeah, lets fix that first.

15. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Sometimes things change after you've looked behind your car. Kids and animals have a tendency to dart out at the last second. Much like Daytime Running Lights this is an unobtrusive technology that has been proven to reduce accidents and injuries. I certainly can't see why anyone would be against that. Humans make mistakes and it only takes one mistake for something bad to happen.

16. DirtyBlueshirt

It also makes parallel parking so much easier. Which means quicker and less obstructive to traffic on busy streets. Everybody wins.

Neely2005 and SpaceFish like this.
  17. SpaceFish

SpaceFish Member

That's the main reason I love backup cameras, although being able to see where I couldn't from inside the car is nice as well just in case one of the neighbor kids is out playing and sneak behind my car where I cannot see while I am getting ready to go.

Neely2005 likes this.
  18. quiznos

quiznos Member

I understand why you would want them as an option. But making them a requirement I wholeheartedly disagree with.

@dirtyblue this is easily combated with high profile tires. Pull up on the curb and back down. Problem solved.

Also have you seen the topgear episode where they try to use the auto park system?.. hilarious

19. quiznos

quiznos Member

And if they dart across, from one of the two sides of your vehicle, you'll see it in your side views ;-)

Unless they pop out of a hole in the ground. Then, yeah they're done. But mole people freak me out. So I'd hit em anyway.

20. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Not necessarily. You might not be looking at your mirrors at that exact second. A lot of kids are killed or injured and back up cameras have been proven to reduce injuries and deaths. As a father of 2 I'm glad that they'll soon be mandatory.

Are you also against other technologies that make cars safer? Technologies such as Power Steering, Power Brakes, ABS, EBS, Traction Control, Daytime Running Lights...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  21. quiznos

quiznos Member

I like them because I can drive faster and brake later. If I had a roll cage a five point harness a Hans device and helmet I'd really drive like a maniac. Danger encouragement devices. My favorite owned car is a vw thing, it's got none of that. Never crashed into anything with it. Though it's been hit by people with their fancy car features. Including back up detector.

Have back up cameras been proven to reduce accidents? I started looking for stats. All I can find is how many back up deaths "occur each year" with no hard numbers per year, exception 2007. As of 2012 according to Edmunds about half of car models have them now already. If the #s have gone down significantly I'll stand corrected. 70% of deaths are from parents and close relatives. 60% are "large vehicles." How many were on cell phones while backing up? Under the influence? Prior accidents/tickets? Did the kid "dart" into a driveway? If a child does this where were the parents?

reddog99 likes this.