2015 SCCA National Tour events

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Cligedy, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

You keep that attitude to yourself. I'm bringing a raincoat, a poncho, an umbrella, maybe a tent, maybe swim floaties. The more we prepare, the less likely it will rain.

Slowclimb likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Des

Des Active Member

This seems as good a thread as any to congratulate Dixie Tour podium finishers Johnathan Lawson and Brian Kuehl, who held off an excellent Mini driver, Keith Robertson, to give the FiST its first National HS victories. terrific work!

Impala SS AutocroSSer likes this.
  4. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Thanks Des. Day one course did not really favor the Fiesta ST over the Mini and Keith drove very well. As soon I walked day two's course I had a feeling Keith would not be the fastest car on day two. It was a fun weekend with those who made the drive. A few of us will do some tire testing soon. I was on the 205/45/16 RS3s, but would like to know how the Rival-Ss, ZIISSs, and the RE-071s feel. The Bridgestone's took home quite a few trophies, but they were well driven.

5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Congratulations to Jonathan, it was a great drive, and it was great to meet you as well. Pretty disappointed in how I drove, but I had a great time and I am excited about the potential for the FiST in HS.

The star specs still don't like heat, but they don't fall off a cliff like before. They still feel good, but lose time when hot.

6. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Thanks Clark. It was nice meeting you. Thanks for the input about the Stars specs. With minimal camber adjustment, I like a tire that loves heat (RS3s, Kumho XS) and have a bulky shoulder Rivals. As for not driving well, we have all had our good and bad events. You have just been out of it for a while.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  7. Congrats on the win!

Having driven my car on a few tire combos now...including 205/45R16 RS3v2 all around...let's just say don't sell yourself short on driving skill. Personally I think you were handicapping yourself with those tires ;) , and it's going to be eye-opening when you get the car on better rubber. So winning DESPITE that...well, wow!

As a "test the compound out" experiment, I picked up a set of cheap 15x7s and 205/50R15 RE71Rs for daily use. Figured if I liked the compound, I'd get them in something HS legal. If not, the tires still likely wouldn't suck as street tires. Then did some testing a week ago at the CAM Invitational weekend at Crows Landing (SCCA needed lots of volunteer workers who got cheap track time in return)

The car was noticably faster on the RE71Rs (even in that "wrong" size) vs my current setup (225 Z2*S up front, 205 RS3V2s in back). And the Z2*S/RS3 setup worker better than the square RS3 setup.

FWIW, Bridgestone has the 205/50R16 and 20545R17 RE71Rs in stock AND a $70 rebate on a set of 4 at TireRack right now. Ordered a set of 205/50R16s RE71Rs this morning, and if you need extra wheels I think they still have some of the white 16x7 Sparcos on closeout for $99/wheel ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  8. Mister_Mino

Mister_Mino Member

Congrats on the win! And Second! 7 out of 10 were Fiestas? I'd call that a strong turn out!

Typical with all the tire debates. I hope someone finds out the fastest setup soon I can finally order mine. Hurry up already!

9. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Thanks....I will likely buy the 205/45/16 071Rs. I want a few Civic Si drivers to run. And more Minis!

10. Des

Des Active Member

I probably will try the 215/45/17 Bridgestones for Crow's.

11. Mister_Mino

Mister_Mino Member

Interesting to me anyways that you say the 205/45s and not the 205/50s. I've read many wanting a taller tire for more 2nd gear...

12. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

I maybe wouldn't mind a slight change in gearing from a 215/45/16 but the 205/50/16 might annoy me. I don't like much sidewall flex.

13. Worth a note : top tire is 225/45R16 Z2SS on 16x7 wheel, bottom is 205/50R15 RE71R on 15x7 wheel. Measured section width, with both on same width wheel, was only 0.1" wider for the Dunlop. Not shown is the 205/45R16 RS3v2, which ran almost 0.75" NARROWER than the RE71R despite being on the same width wheel.

In other words, the RE71R appears to "run wide" a bit :)

[​IMG]

Mister_Mino likes this.
  14. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Not sure if it is me, or an optical illusion..but the top tire seems to have a more rounded profile than the bottom one does....

15. Mister_Mino

Mister_Mino Member

Looks like the top is the RE-71R too.

16. Profile on the RE71R is a little more rounded. Good catch and correction on the tire order, Tires are bottom = Z2SS and top = RE71R...tread patterns are similar but not same (i.e. look more closely ;) ).

Don't have a picture of the 205/50R16 RE71R yet next to the 225/45R16 Z2SS, but did take a picture (that is still uploading) of the 4 205/50R16 RE71Rs stacked next to the 4 205/50R15 RE71Rs this morning when I dropped all 8 off for balancing (I co-own a tire mounting machine, but alas no tire balancing machine...yet). All 8 tires mounted on 7" wide rims, all 8 tires inflated to 40 PSI. It is close, but the 16" tires are just BARELY wider than the 15" tires...a few tenths of an inch total (for the stack of 4).

So I'd basically consider 205/50R16 RE71R width a wash compared to 225/45R16 Z2SS width.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  17. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

The bottom tread is the z2...check this shot and match it to the tires up top. the Z2 has a tread that connects to the center groove the Bridgestone does not...not that it matters too much...they are pretty much twins.

[​IMG]

18. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I'm going to become a tire collector at this point. Already have 4 sets plus a set of the original ZII and I'm almost inclined to get some of the stones now as well.

19. [​IMG]

Left = stack of 4 205/50R15 RE71R on 7.0" wheel, 40 PSI in all
    Right = stack of 4 205/50R16 RE71R on 7.0" wheel, 40 PSI in all

The 16" tires are a TINY bit wider.

Note the 15s will end up as daily driver tires, but did take about a dozen runs on them out at Crows Landing (grippy but abrasive concrete) a couple weeks ago plus about 400 street miles.

20. Des

Des Active Member

Ed, congrats on roping together a class at El Toro and making a nice run at Navid on Sunday morning! Looks like you were on the bubble for the Super Challenge.

And Navid, if you're on here, congratulations on the class win! Now we'll all be gunning for you at Crow's.

Feel free to share speed / tire secrets :)

21. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Congratulations Navid and Ed...times look pretty good compared to other classes. Ed, what was your "Multi" brand tire set up, and what determined your configuration? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.