205/45-17 On stock rims?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by ST-in-Mich, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Hi all,

Im looking to get some new tires with winter ending soon here, and im having a much better time finding tires that i like in a 205/45-17 size vs the 40 of the stocks. Will this causing any issues? I'm new when it comes to tires and sizes so im really unsure.

I appreciate the help,

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Also, will the size difference be very noticeable? Only 2 of my tires have any real wear on them so I was only going to replace 2 of the tires.
  4. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

If you are only buying two tires, I would get two of the same size to match the OEM tires... Are the tires in question completely warn? Would a simple tire rotation make more sense?
  5. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Last year, I ran BFG Rivals in 215/45/17 on the stock wheels with little issue. They would rub on taking a tight u-turn or when hitting a large pothole (or sewer drain) at a somewhat high speed.
    For reference those were 24.7" in diameter.
  6. horrorbiz

horrorbiz Member

That size will definitely work and the difference will be pretty minimal. You'll notice more of a difference based on tire selection. If it were me id swap all 4 tires if you're changing size.
  7. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Yes, my front tires are completely shot, like 2/10s tread left on them, meanwhile my back tires are barely worn at all. The person I was talking too basically said he would only rotate them if I absolutely insisted but could have some bad traction issues.
  8. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

215's are wider then the 205s too, correct?
  9. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Hmm, I just dont want to completely get rid of 2 still very good condition tires.
  10. horrorbiz

horrorbiz Member

You could always sell the 2 good ones. If not, I'd stick with the same tire size.
  11. horrorbiz

horrorbiz Member

Yes the 215 relates to the width.
  12. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

See my thread, I went with the Michelins in the stock size and tossed the RE-050A's even though there was maybe 4/32nds left. If your rears truly have nearly full depth you could buy two RE-050A's and be ok.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  13. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Are you planning to lower your car?
  14. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

No i am not
    stuntdoogie likes this.