2J-Racing Downpipe (Full Race / Catted) 250wtq, $249

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by joe@2j-racing, Mar 27, 2014.

1. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

So how much trouble is to change just the downpipe?
    I would just need to swap out the DP if/when needed.
    As the catted DP is not CARB approved and therefore not legal in my state, why bother.
    On the other hand, I like the no CEL issues and less noise.
    However the extra HP would be so nice.

I am so undecided.

Dave

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

If you have a lift I have heard it is maybe 30 miniutes. I did not have a list so I used the Ford manual and took mine out the top very easy getting the heat shield off and upper O2 probe out but you have to take the battery out and move the shifter cable bracket out of the way. nothing extreme just took a extra 15 minutes .. Putting the stock one back in for testing would be easy too as I am sure you could leave that pesky heat shield off for that little bit ..

4. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Can it be taken out from under the car using a jack and stands?

Dave

5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yes I used stands to get under and remove the 6 bolts that needed removing and the two that needed to be put back on as one bracket was not reused..
    From what I have been told working from the underside just takes a little patience getting the heat shield off as there is a ton of space under there. I just wanted to try Fords way to see the difference . Both ways work..

6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Does the heat shield go back on with the new DP?

Dave

7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

NO Heat shield is factory only in this case

8. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the information RodMoe.
    Now just waited for Joe to call.

Dave

9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

You are most welcome Glad to help :)

10. WestcoastST

WestcoastST Active Member

Any way to install the catted DP without removing the heat shield. I think that would draw too much attention once the car needs to get smogged, especially if there is no CARB sticker for the catted dp.

11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

As you can see the heat shield is fitted to the stock cat. not saying that you couldn't make it work but ....

12. WestcoastST

Looks like more trouble than its worth to mod, or make a new one. Probably just have to chance it down the road.

RodMoe likes this.
  13. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

What are you going to do with those parts?
    I want to do just that, fit the shield to the RDP.

Dave

14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

They are sitting in my tin shed keeping the rest of my silly take off parts comapny till they are needed again or moved around enough times I get rid of them..

15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Well let me know when you get tired of moving them.

Dave

RodMoe likes this.
  16. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I am putting a cat in so going to roll some metal and make a shield.

17. WestcoastST

Quick heat shield

If you get on the thermotec web site, you can make a good quality, conforming heat shield from three components.
    Micro louver heat shield
    Kevlar heat barrier
    Heavy duty spray adhesive

Take a couple of layers of ace bandage and wrap around the 2JR dp to build a stand off. Then cut out some micro louver heat shield and spray adhesive on one side. Then attach the kevlar heat barrier. Then shape this composite over the dp. You will need to have a stand off of about 1/8 inch, but this composite can then be attached to brackets and to the firewall or the dp. You need to maintain an air gap. Aluminum will also work,you just have to attach the heat shield to the hot side

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk

18. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

Great info, thanks:)

I am installing a really big high flow cat so will have alot of heat near all the lines there so want to ensure they do not get to hot. I hope the cat is not to big, 5" diameter case, core nearly that big, 100 cell count, I wanted it to be as free flowing as it can, just hope it gets hot enough to do its job!

A heat shield should help it a bit besides protect things around it.

19. frismanis

frismanis Member

YAY! Got my shipping notification and tracking number! I am excite!:D

20. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

My catted downpipe and catback are supposed to arrive today. Joe, any thoughts on heat shielding? Will I need to come up with anything? I haven't been under the car yet to see what that area looks like, but there is lots of discussion about the heat shield in another thread.

21. frismanis

frismanis Member

FedEx just showed up..

[​IMG]

Firesail, bryramos, mrtn and 2 others like this.