2JR 3" Catback Exhaust & Catted Downpipe

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by joe@2j-racing, Jan 29, 2014.

1. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I don't know what else to suggest.
    My wife has even been in my car and hasn't noticed the change.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

2JR Catback 14' FiST in cabin windows up:
    Best to listen with headpohones
    Recorded with nexus7

Drive by <br />
    Recorded with Nexus 7 tablet<br/>

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    envyist and bryramos like this.
  4. ghostwhite

ghostwhite Active Member

That's 100% pipe hitting something it's not supposed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

IT does sound a lil buzzy like metal on metal ..
  6. stuntdoogie

Rod & Dave, the axleback connection to the midpipe is adjustable correct? Looks like a swivel connection on mine. Also the midpipe hangs pretty low, its not flushed up against the chassis. How's yours?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  7. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Mine is the same.

However after hanging the complete system and all the connections are in place but loose.
    The resonator section should have all the hangers in place and then the flange to the downpipe tightened.
    The muffler section should positioned where you want it.
    Some of us found the two OE hangers at the muffler to be too soft.
    After both ends are in position, you can place your floor jack (or use blocks) to hold up the "S" section.
    At this point make sure that the system in NOT touching anything.
    You then can tighten the clamps at both ends of the "S" section.

The "S" section is not absolutely flush but it is most important that it is NOT touching anything.

I hope this helps.

8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Pretty much echo what Dave said I had to play with the rear clamp to get the midsection off the cross member and replaced a few hanger just to be safe as well as ziptie the ones I did not replace.. Try to get the exhaust as near the car body or floor pan as you can as it will settle lower anyways :)
    hope this makes sense and helps :)
  9. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I've been waiting for more feedback here before posting my experience. Mine is also very loud to the point of vibrating my brain with the resonance during part-throttle operation between 2500 and about 4k RPM. It actually gets substantially quieter at full throttle. I started with the cat-back and then added the catted down pipe a couple weeks later with no change. I guarantee it's not anywhere near the chassis. I tweaked all the hangers and have at least 1/2" clearance everywhere. I hate to have to replace it with something else but it's just about unbearable. Maybe Joe got different resonators or the muffler construction changed? I have no idea.
  10. stuntdoogie

And I was thinking I was the only one. It gives me headaches it gets so loud in that rpm range especially when decelerating omg. Either the resonator isnt doing its job or the muffler is extremely loud. the drone is umbearable. Also had it checked by a second person who adjusted my coils yesterday and said nothing is touching and I have no leaks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  11. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Stunty do you have a short-ram or any other than stock air intake? Dave? Rod? I have the Injen intake. About the only other thing I can think of is some systemic resonance being set up with the intake and exhaust combined. The real confusing part for me is how it is loudest with part throttle and gets quieter (like an order of 10 quieter) at full throttle. I want to clarify too that this is sound INSIDE the car. I have no idea what it sounds like outside the car because it's completely drowned out by the resonance inside. In fact, it gets so intense that the frequency actually distorts and I can't even judge the RPM by it.
  12. stuntdoogie

I have the stock intake with cobb filter, also stock RMM.
    And Im experiencing everything you just said. The drone from the rear muffler inside the cabin is deafening between 2500 & 4k.

13. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Hmm well that kills the intake as a possibility. Has to be something with the resonator or muffler then :-/
  14. stuntdoogie

If the resonators purpose is to reduce muffler drone its not doing a good job.
    Also my midpipe hangs really low instead of being flush to the chassis.
    Spangenb are the connection ends of your midpipe and axleback rounded like mine?

15. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Yeah I am pretty sure the resonator's job is to address specific frequencies and work with the muffler to remove any drone ... in which case I think the resonator is likely the problem. Joe said he sourced those from Magnaflow, so the next question is: do we all have the same Magnaflow part number? Is it possible to weld it in backwards and would that change the sound characteristics? I will take a look at mine for a flow direction arrow.

The middle "S" pipe on mine connects to the resonator pipe with a slip joint, and then a ball joint at the rear by the axle ... a rounded bulge "ball" on one pipe and a flared "socket" on the other pipe. Now that being said, I do have a little streak of carbon on the bottom of that ball joint indicating that it's not entirely air/water tight. When the car is cold and a lot of condensation is created if there are any leaks in the system you will see water dripping from the joints and a telltale carbon trail where the water runs and then dries after things heat up. I find it hard to believe that it would leak enough to create the deafening sound I am experiencing, but I suppose it just might be in exactly the right (wrong) place to set up some nasty resonance with the airspace in the back of the cabin.
  16. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Oh, and to answer your other question: my mid pipe did hang low initially, but I had the car up in the air about 4 different times to move things around. I finally got it where I have a ton of clearance over the center brace, enough clearance for the "hump" over the axle, muffler tips where I want them, and the "S" bend is only hanging about 1/2" lower than I would like. That did all require bending hangers, etc., to get it to fit the way I wanted. Now I am happy with how it fits, just not how it sounds!
  17. stuntdoogie

Funny thing, after cold start and driving the drone is lesser and I can hear the burble from the muffler when decelerating on the downshift but that only lasts a few minutes till it gets hot then the drone drowns it out.

18. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Mine is consistent ... cold or hot. Did your coil adjuster guy look at the system when the car was hot? If yours changes with heat then it could very well be hitting somewhere when the system expands. I know my right-side muffler tip (well, the diagonal part of the muffler exit tube anyway) would hit a body seam/tab just above it, but only when the system got hot due to all the pipes getting longer and moving the muffler more to the rear of the car. I ended up loosening the slip joint and moving the "S" bend pipe as far forward as I could while still keeping clearance with the tunnel it runs through. That moved the muffler forward maybe 1/2" so when everything expands I still have clearance.
  19. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I just listened to your video clips and really I don't think the interior one sounds like the exhaust hitting anything. When mine was hitting things (there were several things until I got it all adjusted) it made a distinctive metal on metal ringing/clattering sound. I don't hear any of that. I just hear the distorted resonant sound like I am getting now. I mean it's powerful enough to overdrive and distort the mic on your tablet :-/
  20. stuntdoogie

He was under the car while i was revving it and he says no leak. Also moved the exhaust vigorously and its not touching anything. My tips are not centered either. They are more to the right and sit low in the bumper cutout.
    Ugh...this is frustrating me.... My car sounds ghetto civic like...

21. kamakazee

kamakazee Active Member

I have a feeling the resonance issue you're experiencing has more to do with the muffler. My FSWerks cat back has no resonator and the drone is minimal if not nonexistent. Raffi at FSWerks told me that they had their muffler custom built for them so kudos to the builder. I had a 2012 Fiesta and all I did was replaced the muffler with a Bassani unit. Guess what? It sounded like shit! The resonance in the car was so bad that it gave me headaches on my 21 mile commutes. My suggestion is maybe look into another muffler or cat back system.
    Last edited: May 28, 2014