3rd Gear Issues?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by kvetcha, Sep 23, 2013.

1. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

Anyone else feel a weird sort of mechanical resistance when going into 3rd? My 4th, 5th and 6th gear shifts feel completely smooth, but second and, even more so, third gear feel like they're grinding slightly even with the clutch depressed. I thought maybe it was just my technique, but the higher gears are like silk.

Once in gear the car is fine, but I'm a little weirded out by the inconsistency.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Stevelach

Stevelach Active Member

Mine is smooth in every gear but I'll take a closer look today and report back here.
  4. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

I'm still thinking about the gears. With doing mostly city driving, I'm constantly shifting. The shifter is a little notchy in my opinion and I wish first was closer second and fifth closer to fourth. I'm seriously considered acquiring a short-throw shifter after wringing this thing out a little more. I dislike the fifth to fourth downshift given the reach. But what bothers me the most is the clutch pedal as I seem to constantly contact it left of center on most shifts. I wish it was positioned a half-inch or so more to the left. I'll report back on the 2-3 gear change for you this P.M. if I do some more driving.

edit: and I almost forgot, the shift knob is in trouble. I'm used to a ball-type knob (ala Cobb) so I'm waiting to see what Mountune and others have to offer.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  5. Stevelach

Stevelach Active Member

I took very close notice while shifting today, and mine is silky smooth in every gear. Wonder if your dealer has another ST you could compare too?
  6. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

no issues with the ST I am driving, but I find the gear selection feels very vague. I know this is because every car I have owned for the past 15 years has a short-throw shifter installed. I haven't driven a stock manual in so long, I don't know what they are like to compare the ST to. So many journalists would freak out if they shifted any of my cars since they would say the feel is too notchy, it is too hard to shift, the throws are too short, the knob is too low, blah, blah, blah. I read reviews about my dad's Shelby that said the same thing about his shifter and I found it to be fantastic.

As for any odd feelings going into the gears, none that I have noticed. Might be an adjustment issue on the car.
  7. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

I have adjusted my gear selection for city/suburban stop-n-go/stop sign driving by staying in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears longer. The first week I upshifted quicker and found myself downshifting too frequently. I understand the vagueness of the gear selection at times as 5th to 4th or 6th isn't as precise as I'd like, even with the 3rd/4th spring-loaded bias. I also lowered my seating position, moved it forward a notch, and dropped the steering wheel almost all the way down to make shifting more comfortable. I guess you really have to experiment more with the ST to get things to your own liking. I do wish I had the greater adjustability of electric seats.