5th gear grind

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by AndrewChrist, Jul 9, 2014.

1. AndrewChrist

AndrewChrist New Member

I've had my FiST for a few moths and it has developed a pretty severe grind into 5th. It doesn't matter if the car is moving or stopped. The only time it doesn't grind is when shifting from 4th to 5th at 3-4k. The dealer said it's not the first time they have seen it. I'm getting a new tranny under warranty. Has anyone else experienced this?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Can you rule out shifter cable tension first? While I my shifter cables disconnected, they "shortened" a hair. When reconnected, I could not shift into first or second -- fifth was very hard to engage. I'd imagine this would cause some grinding under load.

I adjusted the "neutral play" on the cable nearest the battery a touch, and it's back to great shifting everywhere. Oh yeah, I have the Mountune short shifter.
  4. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

Dude that sucks. Glad to hear you're getting it fixed though. I haven't had any trouble like that except for the occasion that I shift and the transmission is like "nope" grinds a tad and spits the shifter back into neutral.
  5. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this is actually the transmission. Reading through related past threads, I couldn't help but wonder about clueless dealerships. I saw interesting comments from Focus and Mustang owners about this. Anyhow, it actually could be a real tranny problem, but I don't recall seeing much of this around here. Does this suggest a synchro problem? Hope this doesn't become a trend!

That cable check is fast and easy. I'd be curious if that affects your condition at all.

It got me thinking -- I wonder how my local Ford dealer would react if I drove my dedicated track car in and complained about something. Apart from a gutted interior, solo seat, and open exhaust, it is almost stock. :)
  6. AndrewChrist

AndrewChrist New Member

I'm thinking its a syncro just from ow it shifts. They had the car for a week at ford before they even test drove it and once they drove it they basically went straight in and ordered a new tranny. I have no idea how I would destroy a 5th gear syncro in 4000 miles. I'm assuming its just a manufacturing defect and hopefully it doesn't become a common problem. My alignment was off from factory too.
  7. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

I'm just shy of 26,000 miles on mine and so far none of the issues being discussed on the forums. Did the grinding start out minor and become worse over time ?
  8. FordService

FordService Official Ford Representative

I'm happy to hear your local dealer is taking care of you, AndrewChrist. Let me know how the repair goes; I'll be on the lookout for your update!

9. Drifter

Drifter Member

On spirited drives, I find mine struggles to go into 5th gear on occasion.