A little help?--A new, annoying sound

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by jimclark, May 31, 2014.

1. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Thanks for the info, 1FH, and thanks for the tip, Steve. The explanation sounds plausible. It'd be great to know it's demonstrable on other vehicles. Though why some have it and some don't raises the question of whether it's actually "normal", it would seem.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

I should have gone today but was lazy so I'm going back to the dealer on Thursday as I'm off work. The tech that took out my car clearly was deaf or didn't want to give it any time. It also didn't help that my pops took that car out for me as I was working. He heard the sound, but they didn't let him ride along. I'll be a little more forceful with it. I've had multiple friends (all are into cars as I am and own GTIs, Focuses, etc) and asked what the whine was. The 'performance tube' noise is separate and definitely distinguishable and different. Sorta frustrating that I need to go back (the dealer is ~30 mins away) but I'm not leaving until I have an answer or I get a ride in the ST that's on the lot and hear the exact same sound. From what others have chimed in here, it seems to be limited to a few cars and not the majority.

jimclark likes this.
  4. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I'm in similar spot. Will be gone on vacation over July 4, but on return am planning on another visit to dealer service, hoping to time things such that only a deaf person wouldn't hear it, etc. And the "normal operating characteristic" thing, if offered, is gonna need to come with an explanation as to why only a few of us have this "normal" characteristic.

5. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Jim - take your car as soon as you can. I went on a short 'road trip' for the holiday (approximately 85 miles away) and about 65 miles in the whining got extremely loud and turned into a grinding. I then could be in gear, press on the throttle and the engine would rev to redline freely. Needless to say, I was agitated, but at least Ford Roadside covered the tow back to a dealer closer to home. Then a quick complaint/call to the dealer I bought it from turned into them dispatching a tow to bring the car nearly all the way back home to them. While I'm glad this is finally getting taken care of, it's hardly the scenario I wanted. Wasted a good 3 hours of my 'vacation' breaking down and waiting for a tow. Oh well.

Moral of the story to all reading this - if you hear the whining and symptoms described in this thread, please go to a Ford service dept ASAP and make sure you ride along and that they hear the sound. Mine was passed up on the first attempt and it definitely was a problem.

6. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

1FH--Wow. Just wow. I just got back from vacation--didn't take the car--and was wondering about the next step here. I'm going to call today to set up an appointment ASAP. Please let us know what they find and what they do to fix it.

7. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Will do. I was told by the service manager that I would be updated before lunchtime tomorrow.

8. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

Any updates? I took my car to the dealer Tuesday and did a ride along with the transmission tech. As soon as the sound became audible the tech said it was a output gear/shaft problem. I was then told by the service manager that the tech had to get in touch with ford hotline and that the car was operational so I should take it with me. They are going to call me when they decide what to do.

Smokin likes this.
  9. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

An output gear/shaft problem, but it's operational, eh? Warm fuzzies abound around that one. I am/was hoping to do a couple autocross events this weekend, Saturday and Sunday. But whether that's a reasonable thing to do seems in question, esp. given all the info above. Assuming that 1FH, you, and I all have the same problem, as it appears we at least think we do, and given that we're waiting on word back from 1FH after a serious problem seemingly arising out of it, and now a tech saying it's a "gear/shaft problem", I'm just loving this.

For the first time in a long time, I'm loving my car, and now this. <sigh> :(

Smokin likes this.
  10. FordService

FordService Official Ford Representative

Have you set up that appointment, jimclark? Please let me know what the service manager advises, 1FocusedHokie.

I'd like to escalate these concerns to your regional customer service managers. Along with an update, please send me a private messages with your full name, VIN, updated mileage, dealership information, and best daytime contact number so I can get stared.

Hey CrazyCarl- have you been working with me on fiestast.org? I've been working on a case for a CrazyCarl over there and want to make sure you're being taken care of here, if necessary. Please let me know!

Brittany

11. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

Yes Brittany, same person.

12. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

No updates. I left a voicemail with my service advisor to call me back this afternoon. If anything relevant comes up, I'll update here.

13. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Because of a family issue, I wasn't able to schedule until today--wasn't sure when I'd be available--and I'm now slotted for 0745 Monday. The young woman with whom I spoke said she put in the notes that someone would need to drive with me re: the sound. FordService (Brittany?)--will send you a PM as soon as done here.

14. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

In the FWIW category, I tried to record the sound this AM. (Please understand, it was done with an iPhone, so don't expect greatness.) I now describe it as sounding like blowing across a partially-filled wine bottle. Some good spots to listen are at about 24, 38, 55 and 59 seconds.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  15. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Jim - that's definitely the same sound although mine was much more prevalent.

I just got word from the SA that they ordered a new gearbox for my car. He didn't say what the issue was but I will ask the next conversation we have.

16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Thanks, 1FH, for the confirmation re: the sound. The recording doesn't do a good job of representing it. The sound was much more easily heard than it seems there, but I thought it came through enough for reference.

A new gearbox, eh? Well, I guess that confirms that it's really down in the transmission/drivetrain. And given that there are several of us wrestling with this, looks like maybe even a TSB could come out of it, which would be helpful to others, as I'm sure those experiencing this are or can be frustrated with trying to get it cared for.

Thanks for the update, and please do let us know what the specific issue/problem proves to be. Oh, and I hope the gearbox is in soon, and you're back to normal operations quickly thereafter!

17. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Jim - I'd guess that if caught early enough a complete new gearbox would be required. I had the misfortune of being turned away from servicing when I first became aware of the issue and after another 250 miles of driving, something 'sploded (ha) as evidenced by the grinding noises emitting from the trans when parked and in neutral.

18. FordService

FordService Official Ford Representative

Great! Thanks, CrazyCarl. Just want to make sure you're getting all the help you deserve. :) Keep me in the loop!

Thanks for your promptness with the private messages, you two. I've escalated you both and just sent along your case numbers. Please let me know of any advancements, or if you have any other questions or concerns along the way. I'll do all I can to help!

Brittany

jimclark likes this.
  19. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I got turned away as well--in fairness, the sound was barely audible at the particular time, and the tech couldn't make it out. In addition, I couldn't/didn't detect any sign of performance decrease. But I've put quite a bit more than 250 more miles on it since--though my total miles are a little under 6000 even now. How many miles do you have on yours?

20. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Around 8600-8700.

21. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

I got impatient and called the service advisor. He tells me that my car has peaked ford's interest and scheduled me for 7/28 for further diagnostics. That sucks, having to go through this with a new car happens sometimes but the long wait to get anything done about it is what gets to me.