A little help?--A new, annoying sound

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by jimclark, May 31, 2014.

1. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Holy shit I'm getting that too. I just thought it was the K&N filter and intake.

And the bad news is every time I've run at Topeka something has broken.......damn damn damn.....

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

It really stinks having problems with brand new cars, but at least FORD is sponsoring this forum and populating it with people who care (brittany) about taking care of the buyers (us). How many other car companies are doing anything similar? We, the buyers of these cars are generally the opinion shapers about car and car companies in our respective spheres, and should let others know the good things that are being done for us.

NFI, just a happy owner/driver.

iLiptiKal and Smokin like this.
  4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Oh yeah, I love mine too and am just happy it was discovered before something big happened.

This is our 8th Ford in 15 years and I tell people about them every chance I get...

5. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

July 28?!?! That's nearly three weeks out. What sort of "further diagnostics" are we talking about, that you have to wait three weeks for?

6. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I agree, I'm generally happy with Ford, and I tell people all the time how much I love my car. I even mentioned it to Brittany in a PM. They are trying hard to take care of it, it seems--though a nearly three week wait for further diagnostics seems a bit much, I must say. It certainly warrants an explanation as to why it'll be that long.

7. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Do you think it's such a long wait because they are going to check your ecu for a tune? From what I hear they can't to it at the dealer and have to ship it to ford for diagnostic testing. Just a theory, but would explain the wait. Maybe Ford doesn't want to pay for warranty work if they don't have to. But with a lot of people on here talking about their tunes etc I'm sure Brittany knows who has one anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

Yup, three weeks! My service advisor says they are REALLY busy and that is the soonest they can get me in. Says they would have the car for about a week. I'm not sure how he knows that they will have the car just a week though. And no explanation of further diagnostics, heck the same guy told me Tuesday that the ride along would require a computer hooked up to the transmission... that it wasn't so simple. I told him maybe for an automatic. When the tech and I went for a ride there wasn't a tool one present and the tech was able to tell me right away something wasn't normal. They are probably planning on taking the transmission down to inspect then I will have to wait a month on parts....scratching my head for sure.

9. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

Never tuned my car so not worried about that. I dont think its that anyways as I was sent away with the car. Basically I think because there isn't a TSB, my car isn't priority. That was the first thing the SA said to me after the tech talked to him after the ride along, "well, there isn't a TSB for it, we'll have to call the ford hotline." Then all he says is my case has peaked ford's interest bring it back the 28th.

10. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Re: your thought about the K&N filter--since I have one as well, I went out and swapped back into place the OEM filter. (Why I kept it, I dunno, but it's handy in this case!) As far as I could tell, it made no difference in the sound--it's still present.

Smokin likes this.
  11. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

There are at least three of us, then, that have this issue and don't have an ECU tune. The only mod I've done is the drop-in K&N air filter, which I've just shown isn't the problem, by re-installing the OEM filter and finding it made no difference.

12. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Definitely sounds like they don't have a good, clear answer in hand. I'm hoping the tear-down and repair of 1FH's machine will start us all down the path of enlightenment.

CrazyCarl likes this.
  13. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

My car has been making that same sound for several thousand miles, last service I took it in to my local Ford dealership and was told it was normal. Other than the noise, I have no issues. All stock with just under 25,000 miles. :(

I commute from the Smoky Mountains to FL quite often, so the car deals with quite a bit of mountain road / elevation / curves and sustained driving at highway speed mixed with back road stop and go's for 9-12 hour periods. I guess at least in my case that sound isn't an immediate harbinger of doom, a bit of good news for you guys that are just now getting the noise.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yep, hopefully it's just a noise. but the guy who said his tranny blew concerns me. I have no tune but I want to autocross this weekend but I'm cancelling until I know more. Mine seems to make the noise in the hot afternoon on my drive home. 11 miles of stop-and-go. I went to a friends house and it has slight noise with idle and starting up but none driving home in the cooler air.

15. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Jim, post your video on the autocross page so others car hear and see too...

16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Will do.

17. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Temps didn't affect mine. It made the sound consistently around town and then on a longer (90 min) drive is when it had issues.

I just hung up with my Ford SA and he informed me that the new gearbox arrived today and they were hoping to have me back in my ST by Tuesday at the latest. *EDIT* - I also asked if he could tell me what exactly happened and he said there were not notes as of yet. I will push for some more answers when I go pick up the car.

Smokin and jimclark like this.
  18. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Thanks for the update. I'll be very interested to see if the sound recurs with the new gearbox. I'm glad to hear that it won't be long before you're up and running again. Best wishes for the whole shebang!

19. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Thanks, Jim. I plan on taking a nice road home from the dealer. I didn't have to get into high RPMs or beat on anything to hear the sound so I'll probably know early on.

Also, this is a lesson for all you guys who plan to mod the car. If you can't afford a new gearbox or engine, keep it stock. Haha very glad I did and I'm probably going to keep it that way for a long time now.

jimclark likes this.
  20. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Update--I just got off the phone with a very pleasant woman, regional customer service manager for Ford, who is doing a great job of taking this problem on and trying to make sure that we reach a good resolution. I couldn't ask for better customer service than what she's providing.

Smokin likes this.
  21. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

My noise is unaffected by the weather also.....from the low 50's up to upper 90's in low to high humidity as well. I am curious to hear the condition of your gearbox and any issues found with it.