A little help?--A new, annoying sound

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by jimclark, May 31, 2014.

1. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Update re: visit to dealer service and the shop foreman there this AM: Though the sound was far from its most prominent this AM (the gods apparently like to have a chuckle whenever I take a vehicle in for something like this), he was able to hear it, and he described it back to me just as I'd heard it, too. He is taking the information and will be contacting various and sundry folks over the next day or so and then getting back to me with a plan. He also seems to think it's likely associated with boost/induction/etc., but didn't pooh-pooh the story about the gearbox rebuild another forum member (that's you, 1FH!) is about to get due to transmission failure being associated with this. He doesn't seem to think it's particularly serious, but he's taking it for prompt action/investigation, and he's ruling nothing out at the moment, and for that I'm also very pleased and happy.

Ford, at all levels, is impressing me at the moment with its customer service. Best I've ever had.

iLiptiKal, SpaceFish and Smokin like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. puddleboy

puddleboy New Member

Definitely keep us updated jim, mine is making EXACTLY the same sound as your video!

4. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Will do. I'm hoping for more information soon.

5. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Puddle, is there anything else strange/not normal with the sound in your case ? The wife just did a 400+ mile trip in my ST with no issues. I'd have to put the mileage with the same noise in the video at 4,500 miles since I've been hearing it. Other than the noise, there is nothing abnormal with my ST.....the clutch/transmission are business as usual. Just over 26,000 miles now.
    1FH and his ordeal have me wondering if he had something bonus versus just the noise, but he had the same sound which apparently became much worse and then failure. 1FH, how is your ST behaving with the new hardware installed ?

6. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Jim, what was your miles driven with the sound before taking it in ? Also thanks for that recording, I'm going to show it to my local dealer pending your outcome.

7. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

The odometer was at about 2500-2600 miles, I think, when it started. I bought the car in January, but until June didn't put many miles on it, as my commute is very short, and I took very few longer trips. I put another 50 or so miles on before the first visit, which was very brief, as the tech could not hear it. I then took the car to Utah (for the STOA) just over a month ago and piled up about 3000 miles there and back and then a modest amount since.

And you're welcome re: the recording. I thought it might be helpful to us all to know we're talking about the same sound (or not).

8. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Anyone else wondering what happened to 1FH? Is he in some dark bar drowning his sorrows? Crying himself to sleep, curled in a fetal position on the floor? Behind bars after going berserk in the parking lot? Catatonic in the locked ward at the VA?

9. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

I'm at around 3,000km and my car has pretty much made this noise since I picked it up. Mine doesn't sound quite as loud as yours though.

10. puddleboy

puddleboy New Member

Nothing else unusual, no.

11. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

LOL I just haven't had any updates. Day 11 of the car at the dealership. Got a VM today that they were hoping to get it done "in the next couple of days."

Also, I have a VW Golf rental that the dealer supplied. I'm really enjoying it... *gasp*

12. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

:eek: :jawdrop: :wideyed: :wacky: :wtf: :meh: :shifty:

Firesail likes this.
  13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Don't drink the kool-aide. Don't know about the Golf but the GTI engine loses oil pressure under heavy cornering (<10 psi) and sooner or later you'll spin a bearing. Ask me how I know ($7800 later).

jimclark likes this.
  14. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

FWIW, no updates here, either, although I'm hoping to hear from the shop foreman at the dealer any time. [He listened to the sound on Monday, and is emailing/calling, etc., others to get more info and try to nail this thing down.] One thumbs up again today for Ford: the Regional Customer Service Manager called me again today to let me know she's working on it also, and she has been in contact with the shop foreman as well. She will call me again on Friday to check with me and update the status of the investigation. Very strong work by Ford. I'm definitely not going the VW route. [I almost cannot comprehend a Ford dealer giving a VW as a loaner while a car is being worked on. To quote "Princess Bride": Inconceivable!]

15. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Based on the thread, when you notice the "sound" getting louder it's time to visit your local Ford dealer in a hurry. Mine is just as noticeable as the video's and sounds identical. I plan on getting video/sound of it like Jim did....a bigger database can't hurt right ? Until I read some more follow up which hopefully sheds some light, my beloved ST is hitting the Smoky Mountains for some twisty road fun again. I'll be bringing it back to FL as well so probably 27,000+ on the odometer if the lucky streak continues.

jimclark likes this.
  16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I, too, am resuming normal activities. (Service advisor suggested same, btw.)

17. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

The dealer didn't rent it to me; they're just paying for it.

18. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Ah. NOW I understand!

19. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Okay, gang, I just had an idea that may or may not prove useful, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm willing to set up a modest spreadsheet including the pertinent characteristics of our cars, mods, driving habits, etc.--including only those whose cars make the mystery noise. I figure if this thing persists in keeping us all in the dark, such a thing might become useful.

Here's the data I'd like to put in the SS:

1) purchase date YYMMDD
    2) miles at time sound first noted
    3) current miles
    4) approx weekly miles (with proportions city & hwy--e.g., 100, 70/30 city/hwy)
    5) typical fuel used: e.g., 91 octane, 87 octane 10% ethanol mix, etc.
    6) modifications: all except tires/wheels and cosmetics (tints, etc.); think drive train.
    7) driving habits (e.g., "I drive like Capt. Slow", "Often quick but seldom aggressive", "My foot is usually kicking the accelerator pedal thru the floor", etc.)
    8) autocross? (Y/N)
    9) accidents/incidents

And if you've got other suggestions, let me know.

If you'd like to participate, send me a PM with the info. I will not store/keep any identifying information in the SS.

Since PMs have a 420-character limit, let's use the numbering I've added above to indicate data type.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  20. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Jim, tried messaging you, it gives a 420 character limit error every time.....so here it is.
    purchased 10/31/13
    first noticed at 20,000 miles
    current mileage 26,570
    premium fuel only 91-93 octane
    all stock..never any mods
    700+ miles a week 60/40 highway city
    5+ speed limit max, even on the twisty stuff
    No autocross
    No accidents, one single instance of overheating due to following traffic too closely while ascending a steep mountainous road...overheat lasting 30 seconds of light which went off with defrost on high/heat.

21. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Ah, I didn't realize there was a character limit for PMs. I guess we'll just have to try to work around it. I've got the info in Excel now. Edited request post to give numbering for data type; might help. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014