A little help?--A new, annoying sound

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by jimclark, May 31, 2014.

1. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Well I got my car back on Thursday after work. I wanted to drive it a bit before posting anything so here is my 48 hour report...

First off, I read over the paperwork that I got when I picked up my keys. I will note that I had a "catastrophic failure" of my transaxle. Metal chunks were found in the fluid that was initially drained. A complete new gearbox and 3 quarts of fluid were all that was changed on my car. After a few trips around town, I can say that the whining sound is now gone. Sadly, I still feel like I hear something, but it might just be the normal 'tractor tranny' noises that most of my Fords have had (with no issues) and I'm being paranoid. I'm betting this is the case. I just want to figure out if there's a problem before I need to take a road trip again, which is the 2nd weekend in August.

I will update this thread if anything changes for the worse. As of now, I just need to regain my confidence in the car. Just a new thing for me seeing as how new the car is and the fact that I hadn't modded it. I've broken plenty of things with mods, but never just leaving it alone - haha.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Thanks for the update 1FH. So all of us that have the dreaded sound should be checking our tranny fluid ? When you say your whine noise was noticeably higher than Jim's on the video he took, did it get a magnitude higher just before the grinding and failure versus always being higher ?

4. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

I don't think you should be checking your tranny fluid at all, but the dealer should be for $60+ a pop.

5. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

As I understand it, the car's ECU has a "learning" program in it that adjusts to match driving habits, patterns, etc. So, a question for you, 1FH: do you know if they reset this program? According to the service advisors at my dealership, it's possible to reset it such that it has to go through a learning process again. Doing so could, I think, cause changes in engine/intake/exhaust sounds.

6. ISO100

ISO100 Member

My car had identical symptoms. It is getting a brand new transmission this week covered by the factory warranty.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

iLiptiKal and jimclark like this.
  7. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Whoa. Based on only the sound? Or were there other things going on?

8. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

jim, I took my ST out today and after watching your video and listening to mine, it's obvious my ST isn't making the dreaded sound as loud as yours is....it's noticeably at a lower level although it's almost identical and at the same rpm range. After ISO 100's post it's sounding like we're heading that way with the issue.

9. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Certainly not encouraging, is it? Ugh. I look forward to more information on the matter. Sounds like 1FH may not have gotten as much clear, direct feedback from the service department that replaced his gearbox, etc. as one might wish. Now, if ISO100 has the same sound and is also getting a transmission replacement, I would hope there's a concerted effort being put together to really nail this down and address it effectively for everyone having it.

The FiST is a fantastic car, and I'm still in love with mine. I have faith that there's someone--individual or group--at Ford that will beat this into submission for us.

10. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Same deal here Jim, I absolutely enjoy my FiST and hope this issue is addressed.

11. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Update: News from the local service advisor and another Ford tech advisor (via the Regional Customer Service Manager) suggests that the common thought is still that it's a sound associated with intake/induction. In conversations with the RCSM and the local SA, I let them know of the two reports here of transmission issues that seem in some eyes related to the sound. Obviously, without good data, it's gonna be hard to pin this down. Thus far, we've not got much accumulated data. (Not much response to my request for info to put in/keep in a spreadsheet so far--only one complete response.)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  12. ISO100

ISO100 Member

Yes, based only on the sound and what conditions the sound occurs.

I got my car back today and it now has a brand new transmission. The new one is silent unlike the old one.

13. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

ISO100--could you please reply to my PM? Some additional info could be very helpful to both my dealer's service department and the customer service personnel with whom I'm working.

Also, could you please describe the conditions in which you experienced the sound?

14. ISO100

ISO100 Member

Replied to the PM.

Conditions when sound was experienced:
    In gear and under light load (tip-in) caused a wheel-speed dependent whine that increased in pitch as the car gained speed. Harder to hear initially in gears 1 and 2 but over time it was audible there as well. It was loudest in 4-6 and the volume decreased greatly when decelerating in-gear. Harder acceleration in gear it was harder to hear due to exhaust and symposer noise.

Conditions that made it loudest were highway driving between 50-70 MPH at light load (keeping up with traffic). I actually could hear the whine over my radio.

15. ISO100

ISO100 Member

Finally was able to listen to the posted video. My noise was NOTHING like that. I agree with the dealer that what I heard on the YouTube video is in fact intake noise.

At any rate, here are my answers to questions:
    1) purchase date YYMMDD: 140419
    2) miles at time sound first noted: ~1000
    3) current miles: 2460
    4) approx weekly miles (with proportions city & hwy--e.g., 100, 70/30 city/hwy): 100, 70/30
    5) typical fuel used: e.g., 91 octane, 87 octane 10% ethanol mix, etc.: 93 only
    6) modifications: all except tires/wheels and cosmetics (tints, etc.); think drive train.: None
    7) driving habits (e.g., "I drive like Capt. Slow", "Often quick but seldom aggressive", "My foot is usually kicking the accelerator pedal thru the floor", etc.):
    Mostly easy driving with some short bouts of spirited acceleration and cornering
    8) autocross? (Y/N): N
    9) accidents/incidents: N

16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

ISO100--thank you very much for the response--it's very helpful to know that your sound was very different. Also, thanks for the data; though your car is/was in a different "bad sound" category, I appreciate the input.

17. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Just over 27,100 miles now, just put 650 miles on it today, yesterday was twisty road run....tail of the dragon/us129, moonshiner 28, rattler 209...etc. about 200 miles total. Sound is unchanged, from this point other than a 1000 mile check in with the noise, it's business as usual. I love this rollerskate ST.

jimclark likes this.
  18. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Sounds a lot like mine.

19. ISO100

ISO100 Member

ToTD! I'm so freaking jealous.

20. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ok rather than start another Noise thread I thought I would ask here .. Has anyone heard a clicking or ticking sound while moving forward at slow speed. I have had the car on Stands and rotate the tires so they move in the forward direction (moving the car forward direction) and i hear a light ticking or clicking sound rotate to make the car reverse and NO sound what so ever.. Someone suggested gear lash noise which it could be since I have had the trans apart to install the LSD maybe my measurements fr the shim where a smidge off.. anyone have any thoughts or simular sounds ??
    other than the noise the car runs like a whipped puppy and the Diff pulls the car into the corners as it should no weird noise then ..
    Just curious..

21. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

No clicks or ticks from mine, RodMoe. (Thank God!) Question: when the car is on stands and you rotate the tires, is it not in neutral? If it is, and you're hearing the sound only when you rotate the tires forward, is it only when rotating the front wheels? Both of them? Or all four? Just trying to pin down the site of the click/tick.