A little help?--A new, annoying sound

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by jimclark, May 31, 2014.

1. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

Thanks for reviewing the sound again! To me it sounds like a pretty healthy noise. Usually at lower speeds and at the lower rev range (2000-3000rpm). Sounds kinda like a straw sucking the bottom of a drink... Most likely intake?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ISO100

ISO100 Member

Under slight boost conditions where I can't hear the symposer yet and when the windows are down I can hear a whistling noise. I attribute it to something in the intake tract.

I wonder if it's due to that charge pipe resonator/donut thing...
  4. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

Yeah, it's not a mechanical whine. Closer to a whistling sound and it occurs during pre-boost or low boost conditions
  5. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

Also, I think this has been brought up elsewhere... But does everyone have the gear "clunk" when shifting at lower speeds (ie. a 1-2 or a 2-3 shift)? I think I read somewhere that it could be the dual mass flywheel.
  6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

ON stands only in neutral yes and only front wheels only forward yes Both wheels.
  7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

yes solid clunk in the 1-2 gear change
  8. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

When you said "gear lash" earlier, I'm not sure I know what you meant. It sure seems likely your sound is diff/transmission related, but what's this gear lash? And one other question about the click--does it happen with regularity/exactitude? That is, does the click come exactly once every so many wheel rotations--e.g., once every 2 and 1/4 rotations, or once every 0.6 rotations? If so, is the regularity the same in both wheels? I'm trying to picture something rotating within the housing that would spring/release/catch/whatever as it rotates. Not having had my own tranny apart and inspected its insides, I'm having to try to develop a mental picture of the details of the innards.
  9. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Oh, and yeah, I think most everyone has a clunk with shift at least occasionally from 1-2, sometimes 2-3. Some might have all three noises we're talking about: "Click, whine, clunk, click, whine, click, clunk, click, whine, click, click, . . . ."
  10. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Quiet is one thing the FiST transmission is not....I get all kinds of those in the lower gear range, I would become concerned if it stopped making the noises actually.
  11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

It's is almost like a slow shuffle on a deck of cards or a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle never gets louder just increases frequency as the vehicle speed increases cluttch in or out makes no difference Maybe it always made this noise I just never ran the car with the windows down as It gets cold up here in winter.. lol
  13. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I knew in my heart as soon as I plugged in the COBB AP my warranty was beyond hope LOL
  15. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I'm at 24K at 9 months so my warranty wasn't a big concern. Luckily, most of the miles have been reimbursed from work so I'm not bummed about it.
  16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Rod--luv the pics! Obviously, your click is distal to the clutch in the drive train sequence. That said, I don't think I can add much that's gonna be very helpful. I very much expect you've thought of all I could ever come up with and then some. If I get a revelation from God, though, I'll let ya know!
    RodMoe likes this.
  17. jariten

jariten Member

I have both the ~2k slight whine and the gear chunks. I actually hear the chunks less now that I shift around them in day to day driving and with a RMM. The whine is more noticeable in my work garage. I'm not fretting either.
  18. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

My car goes back to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'll update when I hear something from my SA.
  19. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I was supposed to hear from the service department on Thu/Fri re: a plan, but didn't receive a call. It seems to be hard to get service personnel to become/stay interested in solving this problem.
  20. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Do any of you guys have a slightly hollow sounding noise when releasing the clutch? It almost sounds like clutch chatter, but I'm not sure. I'll put money on me being paranoid at another sound, but can you blame me?
  21. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Played around with the car some more on Stands and it only makes the noise going forward out of gear and Both wheels freewheeling if I put it in gear or have someone or something hold the other wheel it makes NO noise at all maybe it is a feature of the Quaife LSD freewheeling cuz if it was backlash or something else it should make the noise all the time. I did notice these CV joints sure do Rattle a lot too . SO if I keep it in gear and only go backward it is quiet as a church mouse if I coast or roll up to the line I sound like I have a stone in my brakes with slotted rotors .. OH well run it till something shows up I guess or I repalce the clutch down the road.. OH this is with me turning the wheels by hand no engine running..