A little help?--A new, annoying sound

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by jimclark, May 31, 2014.

1. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Rod, given this last, it's almost gotta be something to do with the LSD, don't ya think? Now, whether it's a good thing or not, I have no idea.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ya I have a few inquiries out to Quaife asking about it .
    On a side note our CV joints are not the smoothest I have ever seen or played with .. Maybe it was just cuz the suspension was unloaded and they at there worst angle ?? Don't know

5. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I've not toyed with the CV joints at all, but now I'm gonna play with 'em a bit next time I'm under the front end. The fact you've mentioned CV joints twice and you've got an unexplained click does make me wonder about the possibility that one is going bad, but I'm sure you've looked for cracks, leaks, etc. if you've noticed a relative lack of smoothness. And it doesn't really fit your description of the symptoms, either.

Given the good bit of torque on a small FWD car, I'd expect that the engineers made sure the CV joints were up to the task as much as the other tweaks they made from the base Fiesta to the ST, so I'd certainly not expect them to be at all bad, rough, etc. I suppose having the car up in the air, with wheels dangling from the suspension, could make the CV joints seem out of sorts by positioning. You don't notice any clunking, etc. during driving, do you?

6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Nope on the cv noise when driving and trust my I had some 80's k cars that were at the ragged end of there life .. Funny I never had a noisy cv on a honda and we have beat the crap out of more than a few of those torque monsters .. ( I kid there about honda having torque in stock form)
    Not that it matters but a FYI I did see made in Poland stickers on the axels when I had the Trans out. Talk about a world car eh ;)
    If I hear anything I'll pass it along

7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

OK I got a reply From Quaife UK and this is what they said about my discribed noise. Good to know :) Great Service only took a day or tow for a reply..

8. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

Called the dealer today, new transmission for my car. Here's the kicker, not available until September 23rd! Now what?!?!?!

9. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

And I was told they are waiting to hear from Ford to see whether or not I get rental for that long or do they have to put my car back together then take it back in when they get a transmission.

10. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Excellent! As you said, good to know. Glad it's working out for ya.

RodMoe likes this.
  11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yup and Anyone else that take the plunge.. this car shoulda come this way.... I would have paid extra for it to be honest...

12. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl New Member

Jim, did you ever get a call?

13. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Finally; I'm taking it by again tomorrow. <sigh> Lots of unknowns still.

14. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Just shy of 29,000 miles, pretty much status quo.....still makes the noise but it's still at the same level. Just had it at the Ford dealership I bought it from for oil change and tire rotation. All is well with my ST, she had 600+ miles today heading back to the flatlands of FL.

15. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Status quo; still with the sound, still with no apparent problems otherwise. Various persons all think it's somewhere in the air induction system. Moving on.

16. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Just shy of 34,000 miles....the noise seems to be a slightly louder now but it's seemed to have migrated to the lower rpms and gears. I was getting the noise on starts in first gear and they would stop around 2,000rpm. Seems to happen more after the ST has been running for long periods of time.

17. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Well over 40,000+ miles and the noise is pretty much the same.

18. 1FocusedHokie

1FocusedHokie Member

Hey guys. Not sure why, but I thought about this thread just now (at 12:30am) - haha.

Just a quick update that since I had the gearbox replaced in mid-July, I drove the car until the first weekend of December (it's been parked for winter since then) without any issues whatsoever. I hope all of you have better luck or get the fix as easy as I did (minus being 90mi out of town).

19. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Just shy of 50,000 miles and all is well. Noise has been there for a very long time, for those who listen to that video it's pretty much harmless at least in my case. I'd probably get worried if it stopped making that noise lol.

20. appst8

appst8 New Member

A FiST I looked at yesterday has a gearbox whine but only while decelerating when it's in gear. Under load it seems fine though. Is this something anybody else has observed?

21. ISO100

ISO100 Member

My issue was very much like that at first. Eventually it got worse and was audible all the time.