A nice article in the Wall Street Journal:

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Photos and Media' started by wash, Oct 13, 2013.

1. wash

wash Active Member

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

4. wash

wash Active Member

Check your conversion rates, the Euro ST2 with all the goodies costs about $28,700 US in England.

Mine with less cost almost $25,000. That's not $10,000 and try comparing it to other cars, like a Toyota GT86 which costs about $15,000 more in England than a Scion FRS does in the US.

If Ford took out the content and $10,000 I wouldn't mind but then it would be a $19,000 US car.
  5. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

When I try to follow that link, I get the message,

"Cannot GET /article_email/a/SB10001424052702303442004579123584155477404-lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwMzExNDMyWj"
  6. Bluto

Bluto Member

reddog99 likes this.
  7. eRic

eRic Active Member

ugh... there is a reason I don't look to the Wall Street Journal for car advice.
    watching the video made me cringe
  8. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

Dan Neil is a superb automotive writer. The only one to have ever won a Pulitzer for his work, in fact.
  9. eRic

eRic Active Member

"sick of the car" and "stave off boredom" didn't sound like an auto enthusiast to me in the video.
  10. wash

wash Active Member

The guy expresses himself much better in writing.

I will be pissed off if I'm sick of the car in a year.

The same goes for almost any car, if I like it when I buy it, I'll like it for a long time unless it gives me trouble (so far I've been pretty lucky).

Even a rental car is OK if it gets the job done and the plastics aren't as cheap as imitation Tupperware at a $0.99 store.

I think the shelf life he talks about is the way the car reminds you why you bought it every time you take a corner or push down on the throttle.

In a basic transportation car, do the same thing and the best you get is reminded of why it costs less.

The ST is head and shoulders above a base Fiesta which is why I think the 1.0 could be a great car if they give it a handling package. Ecoboost torque won't be quite as good as the ST but it should be more lively than the base 1.6 and have tuning potential. If it handles like an ST, Ford will own the sporty hatch market.
  11. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

"The Fiesta ST's electric steering is satisfyingly responsive, even a wee edgy with a surprising amount of tactile feedback from the front tires. The steering wheel is small and feels racy. The steel foot pedals are right where you want them for heel-and-toe footwork. Driving position is just excellent.

The donor car's front-strut, rear-beam suspension has been modified in the expected ways: Damping and spring rates are up, front and rear, with a smaller front antiroll bar putting a little more danciness in the Fiesta's hinder. The Fiesta ST has what you might call entertaining body roll, like an old Alfa. And when the tiny hampster blood boils at 5 grand in this car and she's got a front wheel off the ground, I defy you not to smile.

You can dive into a tight 35-mph curve, and when the front tires really start to complain, breathe off the gas gently, and the car will come around with a sweet, catchable trailing-throttle oversteer. When the little hood is pointing in the right direction, lay on the coal. The Fiesta ST claws away like a cat escaping a water pistol.
    It is all about shelf life. How many times can you walk out to the same car in the morning without being overwhelmed with boredom? The Fiesta ST costs more, but it will keep owners smiling a lot longer. That makes it a bargain."
  12. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Interesting article, but where he is writing about the Recaros, some dummy inserted a photo of a standard Fiesta's cloth seats...