Accessport maps vs. Autocross rules

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by WScottCross, May 12, 2014.

1. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I had assumed that the Stage 1 maps put me in Street Touring class.

Section 14.10.F for Street Touring class states:
    "Boost changes indirectly resulting from allowed modifcations are permissible but directly altering or modifying the boost or turbo controls, either mechanically or electronically, is strictly prohibited."
    From the map notes page on the Cobb site, it appears that the maps do directly alter the boost controls. Unfortunately, it looks like this means an automatic bump to Streep Prepared class. And it looks like DSP is the appropriate class for the FiST.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

A while back in one of the Cobb threads I asked about this and Cobb said that the boost was altered indirectly, which I read as being legal. Newer maps may have changed this. I would confirm directly with Cobb how they handle boost levels.

4. WScottCross

I hope so. Anyone from Cobb care to comment?

5. Innovative Tuning

Innovative Tuning New Member

I would consider the changes both direct and indirect on OTS maps, but there's a bit of a grey area and I could see it interpreted multiple ways.

With a custom tune you can target increased airflow without changing settings related to boost level or base wastegate duty tables. A map like that would seem to meet the rules as they were posted above. In my opinion, if you adjust anything direclty related to wastegate duty cycle including PID controls it no longer meets STX rules.

ECUs set up to target requested airflow or requested torque rather than a throttle position and manifold pressure level can be set up to take advantage of how that rule is written and I imagine SCCA will update the rule at some point in an attempt at fairness.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    Cligedy likes this.
  6. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Thanks for chiming in Mike. When Innovative tuned my car I discussed my desire to run in STX and Mike was quite familiar with the rules and what can be done with most cars to have an aftermarket tune and stay within those rules. I am sure as cars advance it will get more difficult to police, but I am a "play by the rules" guy and want to do my best to be true to the intent of the rules. So with that in mind I now have a tune from Innovative that I can feel comfortable using with the rules as they are written today.

Cligedy likes this.
  7. WScottCross

There was wording on the Cobb site discussing "boost targets" and then the map notes state:
    I definitely want to play by the rules, so I'd like a definitive answer. If it bumps me to DSP, so be it.

8. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Mike can add his professional opinion again, but based on the wording I would say the OTS Cobb maps are definitely not STX legal.

9. WScottCross

I do value Mike's input, but I'd like input from Cobb as well since they created the maps and the wording on their site is confusing. I expect that I'm going to get bumped to Street Prepared, but I'd like to be sure before ordering the letters.

10. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Ahh I took this as more of a "how can I stay in STX" question, but you are committed to the Cobb maps and just want to know where they put you. It's more clear now :)

11. Innovative Tuning

What was the verdict from Cobb?

12. WScottCross

I didn't ask them directly. I was hoping they would post here so we could all see the answer. Lacking official word from them, I'll just take your word and bump myself into DSP as I don't know a damn thing about what the maps do and you obviously do. Not the end of the world (for me).

13. COBB

COBB Active Member

Our OTS maps would most definitely bump you out of the STX category due to the change in wastegate and boost settings. This helps the car achieve more consistent boost levels and relieves the throttle of its duty unless necessary. To stay within the STX guidelines you can certainly utilize the various torque and load methods to extract more power out of the system but you will ultimately be limited to a maximum inlet pressure from the stock system. Mike is well aware of the rules and can likely get you guys fine tuned to stay within the rules while extracting a boatload of power inside the factory limitations.

Cheers,
    -Braden @ COBB

14. Innovative Tuning

Thanks for chiming in. For those who don't know, Braden is the man when it comes to Cobb's Ford tuning efforts. The airflow control and other strategies employed on this ECU are far more complicated than most. What he and the rest of the crew at Cobb have done so far to support this platform has been no easy task.

COBB and spangenb like this.
  15. WScottCross

Many Thanks for giving us the official answer! I'll order the DSP letters now.

16. HardcoreFiSTing

HardcoreFiSTing New Member

Old thread but I have to know....

Why not just flash a stock map for Autocross events, it only takes a minute or so, plenty of STX guys do it.

17. WScottCross

DSP also gets me into race tires and other options. I'd rather have the extra power than go back to stock maps.

18. HardcoreFiSTing

HardcoreFiSTing New Member

Hmm. In my region DSP wouldn't be good for much competition, and I couldn't see a mildly modded FiST doing well nationally.

19. WScottCross

I have no nationals aspirations and my local clubs are pretty small so there is typically only 1 or 2 other DSP cars. I'm not preparing the car for autocross, I'm doing the upgrades I want and seeing where it puts me when I do autocross.

Ylli, m4ximusprim3, Firesail and 4 others like this.