Anyone have the Cobb exhaust yet?

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by mcummings182, Jul 14, 2014.

1. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

Is it loud enough though to actually notice when you drive by? The stock exhaust is super quiet

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. jfdana

jfdana Member

It's not super quiet, but not super loud either; the goldilocks of exhausts. When driving around local streets, people on the sidewalk seem not to notice that I'm driving by, if that helps.

4. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

That's kinda disappointing. Not looking for super loud and annoying to listen to when your driving, but was hoping it would be a little louder. It's still my top choice right now though as far as exhaust go.

5. jfdana

jfdana Member

So "Goldilocks" may have been a bad analogy. Too cool/silent would be stock (not implying that there is anything wrong with stock, which has its own appeal, especially while winding through the gears); too hot/loud would be the Team O'Neil Fiestas at the New England Forest Rally a couple of weeks ago that you could hear from a mile away; just right is loud enough to listen to without being annoying, but with a good bit of snap, crackle and pop to spice things up. It really did pop yesterday when braking hard for a corner and downshifting from 4th to 2d and accelerating- big smile. It does sound loud under WOT, but without overpowering the engine sounds, which makes for a nice blend. And you can listen to the radio and have a conversation around town or on the highway.

If it's any help, all the motor-heads I know love the sound.

The fact that people don't look as I drive by (not racing, just driving normally) is a big plus for me, as I like remaining inconspicuous when need be.

mcummings182 and Mikeygti like this.
  6. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

I submit the MRT exhaust for the Goldilocks "too loud" analogy:

7. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Haha, I love it.

8. jfdana

jfdana Member

Well, the exhaust just keeps getting better and better. I really encourage anyone interested to check out one in person as any easy to use mic just won't do it justice.

Best test yet. I went to my local high-end wheel rotate/balance shop and waited for a road-force balance. Picking up the car, the tech said it was the best sounding exhaust he's heard and how much he wanted to take the car for a spin (I was watching closely), and how rich and deep it sounded compared to the thin sounding Hondas he's used to (I'm being polite). So, a big plus from the tire crew.

scenicroadways likes this.
  9. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Ha, living in a condo community with my 2000 Focus that had a 4-2-1 off road header, no cat, no resonator, and a very open muffler, I used to get lots on angry letters, glares from moms, and little kids would run in fear. As much fun as that car was, I have no interest in going back to having the loudest hatchback in all the land.

In the TST video, the exhaust pops and crackles on decompression, does the cat back do that or is that something that only occurs when it is coupled with a larger downpipe?

10. scenicroadways

scenicroadways New Member

It really does get better and better as it breaks in. I love it, and yes it does have subtle pops and crackles with stock downpipe. Although it can be quiet when you're not on it, it would turn any enthusiasts head when just cruising by. And when you want it to it gets nice and Loud!

Mikeygti likes this.
  11. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I just installed mine in about 3 hours with just a few wrenches, jack stands and my neighbors sawzall. If you have access to a lift and/or more experience, I'm sure you could do it in probably half that time. This was my first exhaust change and I must say: Bravo Cobb! I love the note, the burble and pop, and the fact that it's not obnoxious unless you want it to be. Here is the before and after videos with the camera in the same location for comparison.
    Stock exhaust:

Cobb catback with stock downpipe:

BlackBird, CGv2, LuvfiestaST and 6 others like this.
  12. Ed_the_sledd

Ed_the_sledd Member

Thanks for the awesome videos! This Cobb exhaust is making it harder and harder to wait for the Mountune exhaust...The Cobb one sounds great! Quick question, did you have any trouble cutting the pipe using jack stands? I plan to replace the exhaust myself but I'm worried about cutting without a lift.

13. WScottCross

Not if you have a sawzall. I tried it with a hacksaw and it wasn't happening on the jackstands. Once I got my neighbors saw, it cut through in about 30 seconds.

Ed_the_sledd likes this.
  14. BRGT350

great job showing the two exhaust systems!

Interesting to see how much the exhaust moves under acceleration. Do you have the lower transmission mount installed?

15. BRGT350

I had a local muffler shop install the Borla/FRPP cat back on my 2011 Fiesta since I don't have access to a lift anymore. I think it was under $50 to install and less than 30 minutes from the time I pulled into the garage and was back on the road. Most of that time was spent adjusting the tips so they would be level.

16. WScottCross

Yes, I have the Cobb RMM mount installed. I was also surprised by how much the tailpipe moved under load.

17. BRGT350

that is crazy! The engine movement with the factory mount must be insane.

18. WScottCross

The flex hose at the end of the down pipe is more flexible than I expected so that will absorb some of the extra movement, but you're right, it will be even worse with the factory mount.

19. BRGT350

I plan on adding the Cobb mount next spring and maybe the exhaust at the same time. Trying to plan the installs over time so my wife doesn't freak out with all the ST stuff coming in the mail. :)

scenicroadways and Mikeygti like this.
  20. scenicroadways

scenicroadways New Member

Nice videos! Glad you are happy with the exhaust. I think the RMM will be next on my list too..I also have to spread my part ordering out so the wife doesn't freak out!

21. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

My wife & I have a deal......She doesn't say anything about my car parts, and I don't say anything about her shoes :rolleyes:

Firesail likes this.