Are you planning on picking up an ECU flasher?

Discussion in 'FSWERKS' started by FSWerksVP, Aug 21, 2013.

1. FSWerksVP

FSWerksVP Active Member

Are you interested in purchasing an ECU flasher for your Fiesta ST? Why or why not? We'd like to know!
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yes looking for a ECU flasher that may be able you use several tunes ala the FoST hand helds .. like to be able to use factory or eco or 91 octane tunes as well as track tunes and maybe even ITunes LOL get it ITunes:rolleyes: yaya ok never mind ....
  4. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I would say the flasher might be one of the few parts I will buy for the ST. If the flasher will allow for longer brake/throttle overlap, then I would be very interested for using left foot braking in the winter. I am afraid of doing intake and exhaust and having it drown out the wastegate sound, but a tune would keep the current volumes and add power. Plus, the FSWerks tune for my SVT Focus was one of the best things I did to that car.
    Firesail likes this.
  5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

For Me on my 11 GT the best thing a tune did was remove the drive by wire delay( I think its called "Tip In") and made the car much more fun to drive as it went when you put your foot down...
  6. wash

wash Active Member

I want more of a tuning solution than just an ECU flasher.

If I get tuning software to make my own maps, I'll be happy.
  7. COBB

COBB Active Member

Our Accesstuner software will be coming soon enough for users just like you! Coupled with an Accessport the sky is the limit for your ST!

-Braden @ COBB
    Sent using Tapatalk
  8. wash

wash Active Member

I kind of like the Mountune branding, will their version support Accesstuner?
  9. Audrey

Audrey Member

A carpool buddy of mine did an ECU flash and had a device for controlling it in his Subaru Forester. I wouldn't have even thought about doing it if I hadn't been carpooling with someone who had one. I will consider it, once there's a market out there, because I'd like the opportunity to drive more "eco" or more "funtimes" if the mood strikes.
  10. Removed

Removed Guest

I'll get an AP the day the warranty is up. Until then, mostly exterior mods.
  11. Audrey

Audrey Member

I hadn't considered warranty... hmm. That may delay an ECU mod for me too.
  12. wash

wash Active Member

I think it could make sense to wait 2-3 oil changes before modding to get past the sudden infant death syndrome but intentionally waiting for the warranty to expire is dumb.

If something breaks at that point you are 100% screwed.
  13. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I plan to change the oil 2-3 times in the first week just to get over this hurdle.
    I have used tuning software before and you can always set it back to stock.

14. wash

wash Active Member

Changing oil without putting miles on it is pretty useless.

You want to remove the assembly and break in lube after a few hundred miles, then change after another 1,000 or so to get out any debris that worked loose and got trapped in the filter, then 2-3,000 before you start changing at regular intervals and/or switch to synthetic.

I'm still waiting to figure out if there is a larger oil filter that will fit the engine to increase oil capacity and also pick up more junk before it bypasses.

I've also been told to change oil after every track day/autocross so there are more oil changes to schedule.
    Smokin likes this.
  15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Apparently you failed to see the humor in my comment.
    But I did appreciate the lesson on oil changes.

BTW, that was more humor so please don't take offence. ;)
    and you are correct.
  16. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

LOL I got it D1JL and enjoyed it with my Coffee thanx :bored: Also that's a good oil change schedule Wash I might only add you of course know this but some might overlook it if you run your car hard make sure it's not only freshish oil but it up to the mark FULL less chance of side load making the oil pump starve. I know I have check my kids cars only to find it barely on the dip stick... For me personally I will get a flasher well before warranty is up but im not sure if ill get it till next spring and just use winter as my break-in and learning the stock car so my butt dyno can feel the change when I upgrade. though I might have to put a cat back on just for fun ..naw not in the winter slop an salt we get up here. I waited this long for the car I can just reseach and stock pile mods to be done in spring in my basement :) or not hehe
  17. wash

wash Active Member

When it comes to modified cars, I've seen some really stupid stuff and on the internet you never know...

Any way, I'll cover enough miles to do the first change within a week, then I have a LA road trip which should get me to the second, then an autocross which is decision time, should I change oil after?

Either way I'll be past the break in point by x-mas.
  18. Drumr90

Drumr90 Member

After i get intake and exhaust on car then tuner will be purchased to optimize the power of the car.
  19. FSWerksVP

FSWerksVP Active Member

I would expect that to be the case. :)
  20. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Getting back to this thread,
    I too am very interested in buying ECU Flasher.
    I am however leaning more toward Cobb over Mountune in this area.
    There are also some Mountune parts I want and I will be contacting FSWerks just as soon as they are available (maybe sooner).

21. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Never having used a tuner like the Cobb, do you have to leave the handheld attached or does it flash the ECU and then you unhook it?