Bad mpg?!?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by AdrianBrewster, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Okay, well it's not bad compared to my mustang gt or lifted jeep wrangler, but my fiesta has just about 280 miles on it and the electronic mpg reader is saying I average 20.1 mpg. Now, I live in a college town with stop signs and lights just about everywhere, but I was really expecting better gas mileage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Or seeing mileage around the same? The tank was filled by the dealership so I'm assuming they used 87 octane. I shift around 3k in all gears and certainly don't think I've been a accelerating too fast since I'm trying to baby it the first thousand miles or so.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Let us know how much Gas it takes when you fill it up and how many miles you got from that amount of gas use to get a true reading.. If you reset the Avg MPG and then drive the car "SPORTY" mpg will suffer on the display but a few miles at hwy cruising speed will bring it back up.. I have seen the lil display loose 5-10 mpg if I am horsing around on the Ice for a while . It is a guide but can be fooled sometimes .. Also if you don't reset it every fill up it looks long term mpg till you do reset it :)
  4. Blinkrz

Blinkrz Member

Readings will be more normal after you first oil change, that is noted in the owners manual. I'm guessing this is the case...?
  5. Bavarian

Bavarian Member

I never reset my average mpg. I have just under 4000 miles and mine is at 29.1 mpg. It started at 25.0 when I picked the car up with 100 miles on the clock from delivery. I am about to change the oil this Saturday so we'll see where it goes from there, but just drive it, it'll change as you drive.

My average of 29.1 so far is driving a 90 mile round trip to and from work every day in Mass traffic which sucks pretty bad. I would say it's doing ok so far.
  6. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

If you read the booklet it says the computer won't be accurate for the 1st 1000-2000 miles. Do a real check when you fill up vs. actual mileage.
    Mr UFO likes this.
  7. yeah the computer read i got a whopping 17.2 mpg today. Hope the accuracy is just off
  8. joe@2j-racing

joe@2j-racing Active Member

After the track I was at 8.2mpg.. lol
    Mr UFO and RodMoe like this.
  9. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

When Brandon and I picked up our ST and spent the day with a driving instructor, the MPG was something around 10 or 12 MPG. It took a few fillups for the computer to average out the hours spent at WOT on track.

If you are in constant stop and go traffic, in cold temps, new engine, using winter grade fuel, I would not be too shocked at the numbers.
  10. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

From my readings, ALL trip computers are off, most usually optimistically. The only way to know it to divide miles driven by fuel used. .. AND

Wait till after the break in period. .. I'm personally tracking every expense, including the first gas I've put in.. (about 600 miles so far) My tanks show 26.8 on the dealer gas, and 28.1 on the premium fill up, while the display showed over 32. Most of the miles i've put on so far have been freeway miles, but I've been driving them in the top four gears... these things do over 70 in third!
  11. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I wouldn't worry just yet, especially going just off the cars display. Start tracking your receipts & mileage.

To be fair, my display was actually exactly the same as manual calculations for a while, but it has been changing lately with the manual calculations being better than the display suggests.

I picked my car up with 11 mpg on the display. It gradually improved to about 18 mpg, and although slower, has still been gradually improving. I am up to about 23 mpg avg by hand calculations now. (21.9 by the display) but am finding it improves every tank still.
    about 850 miles give or take right now.

Anyway, still in the break in. I did my first oil change already.. Not as early as I planned, but still pretty early. I'll still be doing the regular suggested change intervals in addition.

But yeah, I've been watching closely and calculating and so far constant improvements. As others have pointed out, there's still plenty of time for improvement until you reach the point where the manual suggests it may be appropriate to begin tracking mpg.

My driving is probably 60% city 40% hwy... But due to the time I drive at (rush hour both ways) and how bad traffic is out here.... It's probably more like 75%+ city driving... Stuck at a crawl for a large majority of the highway..
  12. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I never have trusted those computer MPG things.
    The only way to tell for sure is how much gas you use and how many miles you went (as stated above) do the math.
    If you want better mileage, put your right foot on a diet.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

reddog99, Smokin and LuvfiestaST like this.
  13. jariten

jariten Member

I actually find that the display on mine is dead on as long as I remember to clear it right away. Is there a way to clear the trip, avg mpg, and avg speed in one step? I dislike cycling through all three every fillup.
  14. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Gas mileage??? GAS mileage??? GAS MILEAGE??? DID SOMEBODY SAY ***GAS MILEAGE*** ??????? :D|
  15. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

If you are so worried about gas mileage go back to a Titanium or SE.
    Smokin and LuvfiestaST like this.
  16. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

I look more at the cost of gas.. Cost $60 today to fill up.. But depending on my foot my kms per tank changes.;))
  17. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

That is part of the appeal of the vehicle to a lot of people. Cheap, efficient, fun, practical.

Cost less than half what my previous vehicle cost, consumes a third the gas, TONS of fun, and very practical.

Don't get me wrong, my favorite thing about the car is the fun factor, no question. But I'm definitely even happier when I'm having that fun and saving a few more bucks in the process.

Likely over 5 grand less in gas per year. If you're saving that much in gas, you've got that much more to spend on fun mods. Or a lot more miles to drive having that fun.

So yep.. I'm all about the gas mileage :troll:

I'm having MORE fun, and spending LESS money. That's a whole lot of OK in my books.

Let's not be silly here, this isn't some GT500 or a lifted dually where the whole "if you care about mpg you bought the wrong car" attitude is entirely valid.
    And some of us are stepping down from bigger & more powerful toys, rather than up from econo boxes.

Pretty sad to see that kinda attitude around here tbh. This isn't some monstrous HP beast of a race car we're driving here. It is what it is.
    Firesail likes this.
  18. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Also, when some cars are getting 30-35 MPG and others are getting half that... It is curious enough, to wonder what factors are causing the discrepancy. Not so much a matter of complaining about the Fiesta ST mpg in general, rather than say the OP's car specifically when compared to other ST's getting much higher mileage.
  19. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

Sorry if I was taken the wrong way. It seems that a lot of us are stepping up from older Fiestas, not down from V8 powered pony cars or other gas guzzlers.o_O:eek:
    Zormecteon likes this.
  20. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

My last fiesta got me over 700 kms a tank.. Cut my monthly gas bill in half cause the car before that I got 300 kms a tank..
  21. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Hey, no worries ! I probably sound a little more agitated in "text" than I am in reality.. lol

It is interesting to see how different the opinion's can be based on what vehicles people are coming from.

Sorry if I came off sounding PMS'y or something! haha

Personally, I've never had a car that got better mileage than my FiST so I'm all smiles on that account.
    That said, I'm with the OP in the seem to be getting worse #'s than many other posters.

I'm certainly not driving in a manner that promotes the best efficiency, but I am also not tracking at this point.

I still stand by my mpg constantly improving though, so as far as the OP's concerns... I say hang in there. It gets better !
    Firesail likes this.