Bad mpg?!?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by AdrianBrewster, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

I'm coming from a 2000 Focus. Though the car is physically larger, it weighs 150 lbs LESS. The horsepower is only 130 though, so the FiST has about 50% greater power. I expect about the same fuel economy.... looking back over the past 4 months for which i have electronic records I see a low of a tic over 24 mpg, and a high of a tick over 29. I've only filled the FiST twice, but it's in the same range, thought these ARE break in miles, and economy should go up. .

Not that it matters........... to me.

LuvfiestaST likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I'm coming from a 2011 SES so it's a step down in fuel economy for me. I knew it would be and I'm not obsessed over the loss. I bought the car for the performance. My SES was the first car I took to the local Autocross and I fell in love with the sport. I was happy with the handling of the SES, with the upgrades I had, tires and suspension. There wasn't much I could do to boost power, though and that's what brought me to the ST.

I do have an optimal commute, 120 miles round trip, 60% highway, 20% secondary and 20% city. I don't hit much traffic on my commute, and I'm sure that is a big factor in getting the economy numbers I'm seeing. My average is just above 30. I get on it occasionally, mostly on the secondary roads, with no traffic. I do track my milage, but I've done that in all my vehicles. I just don't obsess over it.

Firesail likes this.
  4. Roadrunner362

Roadrunner362 New Member

Doing the math I'm averaging 22-23mpg per tank so far with 900 miles on the car. My commute is only 7 miles each way but there are three stop signs and fifteen traffic lights in those 7 miles. Of course I'm tapping into the power from time to time.

5. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I've got 4000 miles on mine so I am past the break-in period.

6. Yes, I certainly would not say I'm obsessed over gas mileage. My lifted wrangler got something like 10 MPG around town. My initial concern was simply that if other people are getting 30mpg and I'm getting 18, there may actually be something wrong. I am, however, confident that with better gas and a few thousand miles, I'll start to see a more realistic display of mileage on the cars computer. I save all my gas receipts and manually check the mileage on all of my cars, I just haven't had to fill up yet!

After 21cars, even at 18 mpg it's among the best! Lol

I am curious how you guys have been driving during your "break in" period. Most dealers argue there is no such thing these days, which doesnt make any sense to me. I have debated with a few guys about the best way to break in a new motor. Some suggest during modestly, never keeping the speed constant for any long period but keeping your shift points low. Others say drive spirited so the motor gets used to the abuse (I see no logic here). How did you guys drive for the first 1000ish miles?

7. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

So just keep it under 3 grand and drive like a grandmother and you will save even more money...and by the way don't go to track....8 mpg

8. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I have 250 miles on it now! I use 4000 as a shift point as often as I can but have put my foot in it a few time. Not been over 5000.

Dealer said drive it normally. Only real instructions that come with most cars today is no long sustained highway speeds for the first 1000 miles..

9. Max Archer

Max Archer Member

I've been doing better with the ST than with my Mazda2, despite having double the power. Best I ever got in the 2 was about 37 on a long night drive with A/C off and stuck behind trucks at 65, but usually it was more like 30-32 on the highway. I've pulled 35-36 in the ST at 75 with A/C on and it's still not broken in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

10. Good discussion. We've intentionally been leasing and buying smaller, more fuel efficient(and to a large extent, more bhp/L) cars for the last 10 years or so. The effort peaked when we leased a 2012 Fiesta SES. I meticulously check the trip computer against manual calculations and reset every time. Needless to say, getting consistent 38-39mpg for my city commute was a treat, not to mention filling the tiny tank with less than 10 gallons(I rarely wait for the light). I even started driving hybrid style, trying to see how good I could make it without ticking off other drivers around me. Best ever was 42mpg.

I knew full well that purchasing the 2014 Fiesta ST was going to be a "disappointment" in fuel economy. To an engineer like me, dropping a whopping 5mpg out of 40 highway is a massive 12.5% penalty:eek:. But wife and I chalked it up as a nice problem to have: expecting *only* 35mpg. My friends who were impressed with 40 will still be impressed with 35. Still, I'm going to try and eek out the best it can do if I can get my foot to behave.

Car is still new, and it's pretty cold here, so can't wait until the numbers stabilize where expected.

11. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

All I'm saying is it is what it it is.......your mpg will be what it will be....is your mpg going to change? Maybe with some mods ....but this car isn't about mpg for the most part...yet it is....ironic yes...I can't wait to get into this thing and have some effing fun...omg.... whatever it may be I'll be happy....drive a 2006 Kia Spectra for 4 years and you will hang your self...some of us have suffered with horribly boring transportation and can't wait to get into something fun.....I hope this reaches the others who have had something more than a POS car when talking about all the great shit they have had in the past ....which has been informative but slightly arrogant

12. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

I drove my father's CLS 55...WOOPEE SHIT....this car is about regular people experiencing performance that's fun... and I still haven't drove it yet...I'm taking all y'alls word for it.....and I do respect all y'alls word.....for realz.....and I'm not from Texass....sorry Peleton....but whatever...

13. eRic

eRic Active Member

measuring fuel economy in first 1000 miles isn't very useful. you should wait for 2000-3000 miles.

"Do not measure fueleconomy during the
    first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers) of
    driving (this is your engine’s break-in
    period); a more accurate measurement is
    obtained after 2000 miles - 3000 miles
    (3200 kilometers - 4800 kilometers)."

14. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

It says in the ST manual supplement how to break in the engine. ... NO constant speed for the first 1000 miles.... ... and don't drive hard until the car is warmed up....

If you want a fast car, you should wind it up during break in. It will not affect longevity. If you don't take them over 3k or so a ridge can build up at the top of the piston throw in the cylinders, and the car will never rev all the way...

I've been mostly on the freeway for the break in. I let the car warm up for 10 to 15 miles so that not only does the temperature gauge show "normal" temperature, but the oil is warm up as well.. (it take about that long in Healey too, and I can watch the oil pressure drop as the oil warms up) .. then I start punching it.... from about 60 to about 80 mph in 6th, then back down,, . up and down a couple of times, then downshift to 5th... and do that again.. this time to maybe 85 or 90... maybe 4.5k rpm.. .. .. .. back down to 50 or so... then shift to 4th.. .. and wind it up to about 5k rpm.. again. up and down .. then up and hold at 4.5 k or so.. doing what.. 85 mph?.. i'm looking more at the tach than the speedo, but I know i've been doing over 90 at times..... .. at least once in the run, i'll downshift to 3rd,,, and wind it up to 6k.. then let it back down on compression.. up.. and hold at about 5k... then back down.. up shift to 4th.. 5th... 6th... let it wind down.. .. up and down ..

I have over 800 miles on the car in a week and will be changing the oil and filter at about 1000 miles...

Each tank of fuel has been better economy, I assume because the engine is loosening up.. the last tank about 30.5..

Interestingly enough, I just went through the process on my Sprite, and this is the procedure that the engine builder recommended too. .. Same with most motorcycle engine builders.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  15. Noah

Noah Member

mine has been getting 22ish according to fuelly and the computer :/

16. wash

wash Active Member

Most break-in was the cam shaft on flat tappet engines and ring seating.

Now we have roller cams and thinner rings with smoother cylinder bores.

Engines still break in but its just a little wear on surfaces that have metal-metal contact until a good operating clearance and polished surface is established.

My engine is running great, all I did was change the oil and filter at 1,300 miles to get rid of the debris created by the break-in.

I have never babied it, the first thing I did was scare my salesman by passing an $80,000+ Audi on a freeway on ramp. Its been to an autocross, mountain roads and my bullshit commute, coming up on 10,000 miles I think it will take whatever I can throw at it.

Firesail likes this.
  17. eRic

eRic Active Member

my Fiesta ST has 4600 miles and I'm getting 29 mpg.
    [​IMG]

18. Flaco1

Flaco1 Member

Getting slightly better with 4500 miles. I'm happy !

19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Rolling 29.7 last tank and avg near 30 on the goofy lil gauge :) very happy

20. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

How accurate is Fuelly.com? My last tank was 30.1 mpg, but inside the ST it's been 26ish. I also only have just over 500 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

The only accurate way is to measure miles traveled divided by fuel inserted. ... I haven't checked the odometer yet to even know if IT is accurate...Has anyone done this yet, or do I need to get out my GPS?