BC Coilover Group Buy with Joe @ 2J Racing

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chassis Upgrades' started by McRib 1s Back, Dec 26, 2013.

1. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Well Shoot now you make me want to toss mine on and we are under one last(I can hope)Winter Storm Watch LOL
    Thanks For the Review from a Koni Guy....
    Glad to hear Joe had the setting right for street, Have you played with any higher settings ??

ronnie karlen likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

Alignment,
    Most "alignment" shops will only use the factory generic settings that have a huge range tolerance, I do not trust them in the least and had horrid personal experience even when paying extra for a "performance alignment".

If you want it done right it needs to be 4 wheel but also to tighter specs and more agressive in front, go for more caster, more camber and the toe needs to be right but not sure what is best for these just yet.

Better yet, get some string, a digital level, a set of camber plates are a good tool for not much money but you can use a measuring tape with help or tape it on.....I only pay if I am in a bind for time and have always had to majorly tweak it later on to get it really dialed in. There are videos, etc on how to do this, if you can change the parts you changed and call it easy doing your own alignment and right will be a piece of cake:)

Rick

4. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Sorry Rod I got it done yesterday at 5:30pm just in time to leave for a dinner date. I won't drive it extensively until it's aligned. Just by eyeball it is pretty severely toed in and over 2 degrees camber. Unfortunately, the new RokBlokz prevent me from doing my usual line-of-sight inspection too :-/

RodMoe likes this.
  5. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I agree Rick that most shops have no idea how to custom align a car. I have done string alignments before and agree they are just as accurate as the fancy machines. That being said, I have a good local guy that I trust. Good local shops are a dying breed, and while I could do this myself I would rather support this guy while saving myself some time :)

6. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

Great that you have solid local support, it is indeed a dying breed. I had a very highly modified Forester XT, shockingly quick on track, autocross, etc....and headed out on a winter trip with some high performance snow tires(I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles and through many winters without snows as well) and no time to align it so stopped at the local Les Schwab store and told them the specs I wanted, that I would pay extra, etc... I watched through the window and saw they were just slapping the rigs on the wheels, which I have seen put on out of alignment, and then started using factory specs which can have a huge range of tolerance.... I stepped out and asked them to please double check the setup and then do the specs I wanted. They were a bit butt hurt about my supposed knowledge and told me I could not be in the shop. I went and talked to the manager about the issue and he said he would straighten it out.
    An hour later they were "done" yet the printout did not show my specs and I had to hit the road as pending snow storms through Montana were coming in, 700 mile drive.....As soon as I hit some clear roads I could hear serious scrub so pulled off and found it had already started to wear the inside edges up front, I had to do a roadside, 20 degree weather, howling wind, correction to not ruin the tires.....I called and let the manager know just how happy I was and that I expected a full refund upon my return, he said no, I said then I will talk to your boss....I got the refund and they never got any more business from me, tires, wheels, etc and I have bought dozens of sets up the road at Discount Tire since.
    Anyway, just sharing a story so others see it and consider where they go for alignments.

7. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

I know I missed the sale by a few days, but do you guys think Joe might honor the $950 price if I call him?

8. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

I saw them on his site for $929 the other day...check.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

9. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

The sale was for $929 but it technically ended at the end of March. Maybe he'll do me a solid.

10. stuntdoogie

Ah ok

11. stuntdoogie

How do you thing they will fair through a cold, snowy, salty winter? Are these coils rust proof?

12. ralphxtreme

ralphxtreme New Member

same question i am from canada and there a lot of salty in winter

do you thing they will fair through a cold, snowy, salty winter? Are these coils rust proof?

13. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I have concerns there, but the powder coating and plating look very high quality. I might try to find a way to shroud the rear adjusters for winter and I plan to hit the whole assembly with fluid film undercoat a few times during the season. I hope that will work it's way into the threads on the body and prevent corrosion.

14. Murdered Fi-ST

Murdered Fi-ST New Member

Hey I'm a noob to this forum. I have a 2014 ST if I were to lower my ride do you think it could still be my daily driver?

15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yes depending on how low you gooooooooooo ;)

16. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

See my post #172. Do you want lower than that? The BC Coilovers will let you lower it a lot more (probably 1.5") at the expense of tire clearance. It rides excellent at this height. If the tires don't rub on an autocross course I may go a little lower just for fun.

17. stuntdoogie

Hopefully have mine installed sometime next week by Audiphile.

spangenb likes this.
  18. stuntdoogie

So what wheel alignment setting did you guys use? Can the toe in the rear be adjusted?

19. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I went with -1.5° camber and 1/8" total toe out. My understanding is that the rear alignment can only be adjusted with shims and that those may screw with the ABS sensors. So far the car drives awesome. No chance to push it hard yet or try the stiffer shock settings. The Dunlops are loud but not annoying. We will see how they sound as they wear.

20. stuntdoogie

I thought it came stock toe 1/8 in?

21. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

It might, but a little toe out helps on the autocross course.