BC Coilovers - Install

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chassis Upgrades' started by joe@2j-racing, Oct 25, 2013.

1. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I have the straight coils for the rear instead of the barrel which makes mine rub the adjuster if it is installed on the bottom instead of the top we (those that got the straight coils) suppose to be getting the barrel type springs from BC it was a shipping mix up in coil design only spring rates are still the same and if the adjuster is installed on the top of the spring I got it with no chirping or squeaking.. glad it is sorted out now ..

Dblitz likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

What's the difference between the two? My squeaky springs are making me lose my mind.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

The barrel design has the coils out further away from the adjuster in like two turns where as the straight desig keeps the coils all at the same diameter hence the adjuster rub . Give Joe a holler and make sure he is on this .. I will be touching base with him this week also.

[​IMG]
    Joes BC set up big rear coils
    [​IMG]
    Above Joe's barrel rear Coils

[​IMG]
    See how straight my rear coil is no barrel look at all...

5. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

Hm interesting I have the barrel style rear springs and they just squeak constantly.

6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Adjuster top or bottom of coil ? I had to move my to top to stop the noise.
    And is the 5mm preload set on the rears ?

7. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

Mines at the bottom, I'll try next weekend to put it at the top but I thought I remember it not fitting at the top or something for some reason. Thanks for the help Rod

8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

NO problem I also left the Ford factory foam on the top perch to quiet it I did have to trim it to fit but very quiet so far

9. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

So like between the top of the spring and the adjuster? Or between the top of the adjuster and the car? If you could snap a quick pic of your setup whenever you get a chance that would help me and anyone else who might be having these questions as well

10. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I didn't follow any directions as usual and put the adjusters at the bottom.
    I don't have any squeaks at this time.

Dave

11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Sounds good :)

dmondi12 likes this.
  12. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

That's correct.
    No noise is good noise.

Dave

13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Update from Joe BC is working on some new design barrel rear coil for our cars.. More to come as I hear more it should be s few weeks. Hope it's a short few..

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  14. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

Awesome.

15. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

For the people that have been using these for a bit, how is the ride and noise? Still like them?

spangenb likes this.
  16. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Had mine on since March this year. Probably have 8k miles in all sorts of driving. I love them. Ride is a major improvement over stock (as in more comfortable and controlled) and they are completely quiet so far. Build quality is excellent and the install is very simple. I went up to 7k front and 6k rear rates in search of better autox performance, but I think I will go back to 5k rear and maybe 6k front since the road ride has become more important to me. Ride is still better than stock, but stiffer than I want for daily driving.

17. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Just to be clear, the 6k/4k rates that come from 2J are the perfect street setup in my opinion. More comfortable yet still stiffer than stock.

18. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

Joe,

Just sent an inquiry in off your web site..I look forward to hearing your thoughts..

Jeff

19. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

I'm going with 7k/7k. I'll post a review and track/lap time data when it's all done!

20. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

I was thinking even higher than that.

21. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

I run 7k/6k and it's probably at the upper limit of daily driving ability since the BC dampening is kinda sucky.

As an FYI, if you order straight from BC you get all the same things. In fact they actually do all the custom dampening and builds (if you can call it custom) at BC. The turn around is really quick too. I think I got my set within 5 days.