Be very careful with tire pressures...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by frismanis, Jan 10, 2014.

1. frismanis

frismanis Member

No idea how this guy didn't end up dead.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

Sweet Jesus
  4. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

I'll bet he got at least a broken leg out of the experience.
  5. wash

wash Active Member

Too dumb to die?
  6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

That is exactly what prompted shops to use cages.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

7. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yep, that's a split rim wheel used on trucks and farm tractors. have heard of more than one good ole boy killed by these.
  8. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Somebody edumacate here--I'm (more or less) familiar with split rim wheels, having spent time on farms. [Spent time? Done time? Not sure which . . . .;)]. But do we know that this was an overpressure problem? Or what? Looks from the vid like a freak event, or one in which the tire wasn't actually being worked on. Am I wrong? I know I was instructed never to mess with said wheel/tire combos, but [thankfully] it never really came up otherwise for me. I remember having to drive two towns over to get a stake truck's wheels worked on [new tires], 'cause the garage in the closest town wouldn't/couldn't do it. I went for a cheeseburger while they did the job. In this case, I'm guessing there was a defect in tire and/or wheel or wheel assembly.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Smokin likes this.
  9. wash

wash Active Member

You can see the coiled air hose that he was filling the tire with.

He probably had a locking tire inflation chuck and over pressurized the tire while he was doing his Captain Morgan impression.
  10. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Ah, thanks, wash. On watching it again, I do see the air hose fly up in the air. Missed it first couple times. I get it now. The guy was either ignorant of the risk or a bonehead. Given that no one in the video seemed to be taking the risk seriously, I think they were all failing either to recognize or respect the risk.
  11. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

It's not from overpressure. I grew up in western Kansas on farms and in the oilfield and was given the same lecture by my dad. Don't be there, don't help mount it and avoid the wheel until it's safely mounted on the truck and driven. Just like JimClark said, the split rim (ring) slips off during inflation due to the lack of compression against the wheel not overpressure. Truck garages have a cage and any one who does not use it, like this guy, is an idiot...........
    reddog99 and Firesail like this.