Belly Pan for Fiesta from 1.0 EB Package?

Discussion in 'Tasca Auto Group' started by BlueBomber, Mar 11, 2014.

1. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

Old people are funny :D

Sent from my iPad Air using gerbil telepathy.

captainmorbid likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Using this pan has its good and bad points.

The bad point is that because the car is so slippery in the air, it is difficult to keep it under 80 mph.

The good is that it now runs on diesel fuel.

Dave

DirtyBlueshirt, reddog99 and spangenb like this.
  4. DirtyBlueshirt

Does it also constantly want to drive on the wrong side of the road?

Sent from my iPad Air using gerbil telepathy.

5. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I had noticed a pull to the left.
    I thought I had somehow knocked my car out of alignment.
    But you must be right.
    I will have to put that down as a another bad point.

The strange thing is that I have been getting better highway mileage.
    I am sure this is all psychological.

Dave

6. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

You should have ordered it from a dealership in Germany ;)

7. DirtyBlueshirt

Yeah, but then his car would inherit a subconscious need to invade the rest of Europe.

Steve@Tasca likes this.
  8. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

On a more serious note, how is the coolant temperature? I am making a belly pan this weekend but was thinking of adding vents to it to release some of the hot air. I am more curious when you are driving the car with some enthusiasm rather than just cruising at highway speeds. Thanks.

9. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

My mom's 2011 SFI fuel mileage model does not have the belly pan. I checked :)

I want one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Somehow I missed this fun thread way back when. My instinct here is that I need one too!

So, this topic came up with a good friend knowledgeable about modern car aerodynamics. Basically, he said it comes down to a tradeoff. Maybe the car with the belly pan also does not have the lip that we have (think mini-Corvette style). He said it may have tested better as it relates to the need for increased aero (for performance/efficiency) and other stuff like heat dissipation, etc. He admitted surprise that we did not have one, but under closer examination said it was obvious the choice was made not to go with one (the car was on a lift).

Considering how important efficiency is, I'd think that Ford would spend the relatively small amount of money to do it -- if it were net beneficial.

So, does the little diesel car also have the front lip? I'd think not.

11. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

Just hard to swallow the idea that every sport hatchback type car I know of ( GTi since 2000, MS3, fost) all have belly pans... But your right, someone else said it before. A belly pan maybe sealing in the heat...

12. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

The reason for me making a belly pan/skid plate is for rallycross courses I do. If anything I am okay with removing the "lip" and having the protection. I didn't fully finish my pan as I am still figuring out where and how to place the vents. But I at least have a shape to work with.

13. McRib 1s Back

That sounds good to me -- clearly a different application, and I'd agree that you need some kind of protection. Also, that lip wouldn't really last very long in rallycross! :)

14. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

Yeah my lip looks like it someone punched it in the face and is all torn up hahaha.

15. McRib 1s Back

Ha! While I don't do any official rallycross in my FiST, I may have seen some high-speed excursions at WSIR! Just those brief forays were enough to shape that opinion. I'd also think that "normal" use over sharp angle driveways and speed bumps would do it over time.

Count me interested in the belly pan.

On a somewhat related note, I can say that having a smooth belly pan on any vehicle can make a big difference if you're only solving for better aerodynamics. My Jeep Wrangler (2012 JKUR, heavily modified) has full "belly armor" and effectively a vehicle-long belly pan (made of 1/4" steel!). I have picked up 1 or 2 MPG on the freeway as a result. Oh yeah, road debris and trail rocks don't cause harm, either. If you don't care about weight, you could copy that design. ;)

16. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

Please do not post the "wrangler" in a thread I'm in. Lmao. The money.... Geez.... The money I put into those turds... I lose sleep at night wondering what I was thinking, lol.

Interestingly enough, everyone I've tried to talk out of a wrangler in the last couple years has bought one anyway. And regretted it. Lol.

I do love the resale though. Jeep must be doing something right.

Sorry off topic :)

17. McRib 1s Back

Ooh! Trust me, there are some pretty funky mental gymnastics necessary to cope with "a built Wrangler". You start with saying "it's my boat...my RV..." I'll poke you offline to compare notes. ;)

To keep this mildly on-topic, I'll switch back to material choice for the belly pan. Those that are building this are still thinking about some form of thin ABS plastic, right? For rally, why not go with aluminum once we get the design down? Even some Wrangler guys go this route over steel! :rolleyes:

18. LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker Active Member

Breedt has stated they will be releasing a belly pan after they're done with a current product, should have some word this week or next... Gotta find that thread again :) rock bloks and a pan for Wisconsin winters is a must... Really don't want road salt and sand up in the engine bay

19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

While a good working theory if you drive in traffic or even alone at hiway speeds the salt will either come through the front of the car via the radiator opening or as I found it worms it's way up any opening in the wheel wells ... So you may want to five it a liberal dose of WD 40 during the fall and check it during the winter . Being as the axels were rusty from the factory and the oil pan and block had a light white powder on when I took delivery I figured it was already well seasoned so I don't worry about a lil salt and road grime anymore ..

20. LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker Active Member

I'm sure some will get in, just trying to avoid the bulk if crap to include ice chucks it'll be worth it... I like the WD idea never heard of it before

21. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

There is a company that makes skid plates for the Fiesta at a fairly decent price. The owner runs a Fiesta in SCCA RallyCross. The skid plate isn't as large as the belly pan that Dave has installed, but enough to protect the turbo hoses and oil pan. It is vented, which is also a good thing. His Instagram account is SkidPlateGuy.

When I was at Team O'Neil, we had a good discussion on skid plates and how without proper cooling, the engine compartment will overheat. Now remember that this on a rally car that going flat out on stages. There was a Mazda3 rally car that burned up on stage due to improper cooling of the engine compartment. The rally skid plates use rubber sides that seal the area between the skid plate and the frame, so that would also be a major factor in cooling. Of course, there is a major difference in making a belly pan for aerodynamics and a skid plate to protect the oil pan from rocks and hard landings on a rally stage.

I did get a chance to snap a few pictures of the Fiesta R2 skid plate.
    [​IMG]
    Trip to the Team O'Neil Rally School
    by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

There are a number of varients on this design. MSport, Broken Motorsports, and Team O'Neil all make different skid plates for the Fiesta rally cars.