Best Mom-mobile for under $30,000

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AFG-VET, Sep 17, 2015.

1. AFG-VET

AFG-VET New Member

Just wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a compact AWD SUV for under $30,000. Looking to replace my wife's dying 2003 Lancer OZ she's had since high school. Pretty much narrowed it down between the VW Tiguan, the Mazda CX-5 and the Subaru Forrester, but am open to other suggestions. I've read reviews, but would like to hear some real world experience. Not looking to start a debate or opinions on Manufacturer A vs. Manufacturer B or rabid fan-boyism. Just honest experience. I appreciate any help!

EcoBeast likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. InsTwin

InsTwin Member

I always liked the styling of the Ford Edge, seems they have a few AWD trim options.

Also, you might be able to get a sweet deal on a 2014 about now.

AFG-VET likes this.
  4. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

The new RAV4 from Toyota seem pretty bullet proof so far, and we use it as a work vehicle. Everyone is pretty rough on it. Out of the list though, I'll drift towards the Forester. Doesn't look really nice, but seems to have the most usable space. Maybe it's just the greenhouse...

AFG-VET likes this.
  5. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

2 of my good friends had Tiguan's in the last 4 years, both fuel pumps went out within 30k miles. I'm already biased against VW but it was funny to see how quickly they turned on the brand as well. I'd love to whole-heartedly endorse Subaru, but my dad bought a new Forester in 2007, had a persistent problem with the CEL coming on for "emissions", which would cause the cruise control to not work (???), and Subaru was COMPLETELY shady about their response. Turns out the Cats were going out, but my dad didn't find out from the 10+ dealer visits he made, only when he took it to an independant shop. The guy was able to muscle Subaru into replacing it under warranty, although it was nearly expired.. OH - and the head gaskets went out before 100k miles as well. Sorry, thats just crap.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Mazda. Loved my brothers old 2nd gen RX-7, and their current stuff is IMO the best looking line out there. Plus they drive nice, although I haven't been in a CX-5.