Best option for All-Season tires?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by Nendez420, Apr 16, 2014.

1. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

Did you get the V or the rated version? I bought the Y rated for a bit more than the V and have not driven them but they are dang fine looking and rave reviews for an all season. They are quite wide for a 205/45/17 but still look great and will have good sidewall support on the 17x7" Konig Feather wheels I installed(4x100 as I converted to that bolt pattern)
    I wanted a tire and wheel package for daily driving and rain tires at the track, I am getting a set of 15x9, 12.2lb, well made, $141 each wheels for the track, the main reason I switched to 4x100.
    Unless going to run a bunch of autocross or track events the Michelin would be a superb choice for most anybody wanting a very good all around tire, most likely the best there is and with a rating of 500AA if taken care of should last for quite some time so worth the added cost. My tire guy told me they will last two to three times longer, than any of the Ultra High Performance summer only tires which suck in the cold and most do in the wet as well.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

I bought the V rated version, since it's all Tire Rack has in the stock size. Haven't had any issues whatsoever.
  4. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I really do not know what the difference is in handling, etc...specs are the same in all aspects except the V are 1 lb lighter so might have softer sidewalls and ride a bit better, etc...and the speed rating which is not a big deal. I bought mine through my local tire shop and they had to order them in but that was easy as they arrived in less than 2 days.

It would be interesting to do a swap from car to car and see what the difference is, if any at all, as it would be nice to lose and additional 4 lbs of un sprung weight off the car.

5. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

I just put an SES wheel/Conti DWS 195/50-16 combo on the ST for winter (cold temps/very light snow) driving. What pressures did you find worked best?

I got 53000 miles out of a set of Conti DWSs on my SES but I only ran it in the rain three times in three years. Worked well in the cold at 32/32; summer went 36/36. Obviously, the ST may require a different setup.
  6. eRic

eRic Active Member

35/35 psi front/rear since that is what the [non ST] Fiesta required.
  7. Removed

Removed Guest

I ran Pirelli Snow Control II's last year and had no complaints. They have been superseded by a v3 which is supposed to have better handling. I also downsized to 16" wheels for more sidewall (you can go down to 15" but I wanted to leave breathing room for a BBK).
  8. Max Archer

Max Archer Member

I just put a set of Hankook Ventus V2 Concept2 on my car. They're not bad, decent grip in the dry and very good in the rain. I don't know that I'll ever get to try snow on them since CA requires chains and we can't put them on our stock wheels.

MPGs have been nice on them too, 3-4 better than my last summer tires. (Falken 615k. ) Oddly, the V2s are somewhat noisy right around 65 but much less so at 75-80.
  9. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plausible excuse for getting out of a speeding ticket, right?
    Kap likes this.
  10. boost rooster

boost rooster New Member

I've just installed some ventus v2s. It seems to be a lot quieter than the stock. Seems to be a good tire for the money but I haven't had to much time with them though so we'll see. I got them off eBay for $269 w/ free shipping for all four in stock size.
  11. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

I tried a lot of all seasons over the years, the Conti DWSs were decent but I thought they wore out far too quickly and in fact not long after I got mine Continental lowered the tread life warranty.

I really liked the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S

Another good one was the Kumho ASX, I was very pleased with those.

Tried using a Kumho AST one year on winter rims and found them to be absolutely terrifying in very cold temps, it was like driving on a greased road, I actually slid through an intersection on dry pavement on a day when temps hit -20.
  12. Max Archer

Max Archer Member

Wow, that's a crazy deal. Mine were still over 300 with a Tire Rack dealer account.

In other news I drove on some ice/light frosty snow the other day and they did great. It was certainly possible (and immensely entertaining) to put the car into a controlled slow motion slide, but only if I really wanted it to. Incidentally our stability control is pretty impressive in how it intervenes in such a slide.
  13. hollywood

hollywood Member

I just bought some Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S as my "winter" tire. Should be here on Christmas eve. I'm still rolling on the stock Bridgestones at the moment. Drove a little more careful today since it was low 40s with rain.
  14. eRic

eRic Active Member

"Find My Tires" on the FordOwner site lists the Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3 high performance all-season tire as a "manufacturer replacement" tire on the 2015 Ford Fiesta ST in addition to the Bridgestone POTENZA RE050A max performance summer tire.
  15. hollywood

hollywood Member

We had a bit of snow here in NC this winter, and the Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S did pretty well. I didn't take it out in the deeper stuff, but it did very well coming home from work one day. Even got some drifting done on the cloverleaf onramp ;) . I was zipping around on the highway at 40-50 mph while everyone else was acting like they were nailed to the floor. Not once did I lose control of the car in snow/slush. Good dry weather performance too. I wouldn't take it to the track or anything, but good street performance. Would buy again (with the rebate of course!)
  16. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

There is this option, the BFG Comp-2 A/S. Never tried it though. Just something new I came across on youtube.

17. Crash

Crash New Member

I'm in the same situation, I can't afford upwards of a grand for a winter wheel/tire setup... The tires I've been looking at are the Kumho Ecsta 4X II's.
    On Tire Rack they seem to be really well rounded and beat it's competitors in the test in every category, but it hasn't been put up against the big names (the Michelin's).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  18. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I had Discount TIre install the X4 on my daughters 06 Mazda 3S and they are great tires, I have only driven them in 50-100 degree weather and a little rain, worked very well, handle well, ride well.

As mentioned I have the Mich PS3 AS and have to say they are a step above the Kumho in handling, feedback and from what my long time tire adviser says will wear far longer than the X4 so likely the X4 II as well.

The are going to cost around $130 more, total, installed than the X4 II, a rather small percentage of the total cost of wheels, tires, install, tax and that is easily negated if they last longer.

I am a big Kumho fan, used many, race on them, cars, trucks, winter, summer, etc...and not really a Mich fan but I go for the best I can get and they won out.

BUT, I did not think of this until I wrote the above, going with 17 or 16" wheels get the Mich, you can get the X4 II in 15's so if you can find some low cost 15" wheels by all means I would do so for your winter setup.

Then again, where do you live, how harsh is the winter???

If you expect to drive on snow and ice the DWS is hard to beat in an all season but are rather mushy, not what I like in a tire.
  19. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

My only regret with the Mich is I went for 205/45/17 when I could of went with a 16" tire and had better ride quality.
    My summer setup is 225/45/15 Rival S on 15x9 wheels and they ride much better and very unexpectedly quieter.
    I am considering selling the 17" setup and getting 16's for my other than summer and track day tires when to cold and wet for my race tire setup.

I have 14 wheels and tires and 4 more wheels, way to many!
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  20. peter3

peter3 New Member

I have never been a fan of bridgestones but i know a lot of people who have them.
  21. Neeqness

Neeqness Member

I've only used hankook and michelin. I am particularly a fan of Michelin. All my bikes use them too.

This is the first time I've used Bridgestone but so far I like them especially considering the price. I did notice that they could be a bit grippier as they are a bit too easy to make chirp when starting off in 1st. But handling has been satisfactory for me. Biggest complaint I see is their snow/ice capability, but considering they are summer tires, I don't see why that is an issue. In any case here, snow/winter capability is virtually a non-issue unless you are going to the desert or the mountains.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk