Best Tires for the FiST

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by djdennehy, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

What's the expected tread life on the stock tires?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Not great based on reports and the Treadwear rating of 140. Depends on how you drive but probably around 20-25K is about all I've heard people are getting

Neely2005 likes this.
  4. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Thanks. Any suggestions for replacements that are as good or better? Ideally I'd like to spend around $150 per tire. I'll be using the stock rims.

5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

What kind of driving will the tires be seeing ??

6. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Street use only, but I do drive pretty aggressive.

7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Neely2005 likes this.
  8. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

IN the exact same size ? if so in that size and price range things are tough but a Pirelli P zero Nero at 100 bux a tire might be ok I have not used that tire so can't speak to how it rides and grips ..

10. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Preferably the same size.

11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yeah it such a goofy size for a perf tire but it is fun shopping the Tire rack readying all the reviews and what not..

12. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Those used to be all the rage a few yrs back for the hot ticket in summer car tires.. Still good for the money I would guess

14. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Yeah the OEM tires are already showing significant wear from 5,000 miles of driving and 3 autocrosses, I think they will be junk (for racing) by end of this summer.

15. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Thanks. I noticed that they're Y Speed Rated so I'm assuming that they're probably a step up from the W Speed Rated stock tires.

16. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I have a set of the KDW's that I ran on my SES when I first started autocrossing. Pretty good tire and considerably better wear. My daughter is using them on her SE to autocross now.

Neely2005 and RodMoe like this.
  17. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

So I already have to replace my OEM Bridgestone Potenza's (42,000 Km but I ran Winter Tires too) and I'm looking for opinions on these 2 tires:

General Tire G-MAX AS-03 (84W) - I can have them installed for a Total price of $169 Canadian per tire.
    Right now they come with a $35 mail in rebate.

Cooper Zeon RS3-A (84W) - I can have them installed for a Total price of $155 Canadian per tire.
    Right now they come with a $60 mail in rebate.

I found this review on the Coopers:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/tire-test-cooper-tires-zeon-rs3/

I found this review on the Generals:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a17108/tire-review-general-tire-g-max-as-03/

18. Aaron Finley

Aaron Finley New Member

I run the Kumho Ecsta 4Xii in the stock size on the stock wheels for winter time, and Dunlop Direzza Z2* in 225/45R16 on 16x7 for summer and autox.

I personally think the Z2s are a better everyday ture than the Kumhos, but that is probably because of the size.

19. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

My wife's 2014 Focus has the Cooper RS3 and I don't like them. 40,000 miles and they are very noisy and ride hard. Wear is ok but I'm already looking at Bridgestones....

And that's a really old article BTW......there are much better tires in the world.

20. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm staying away from Bridgestones as I'm not impressed with the OEM Potenzas only lasting less than 30,000 Km with 0 track use.

It's the only article that I could find that was specifically about those tires. I have no doubt that there are better tires but I have to balance price, value, performance and tread life. There aren't a lot of choices that are in stock in this tire size.

21. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

Take a look at the Falken FK453, they're the "newest" tire around. Hoping a decade worth of development would put that tire ahead. Not many reviews on them though.