Best Track Day Tires (for a FiST!)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Feb 16, 2014.

1. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yes, I plan to also increase my brake rotor size so I plan to stay with the 17s.
    Did the same brake thing with the Mini.
    BTW the Mini used the same size, 205/40/17 and a similar sway bar setup. .

The BFGs ARE also great in handling the heat as I ran that Mustang for years with them on the same track (not the same set of tires).
    I just don't have the first hand experience using them on a light weight FWD car.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. late apex

late apex New Member

Hey McRib, if your looking for a dedicated track tire check out Motoiq test of the Toyo Proxes RR track tire. Thev seemed to like it over the Hankooks and Hoosiers. Check out the article at
  4. wash

wash Active Member

I hope to fit 12.19*1.25" rotors inside of 16's.

That should be an increase of thermal mass, better cooling with wider vents, less likely to warp than thin rotors and more sidewall to make the rims more pothole resistant.

The issue is fitting that much more rotor width and a wide caliper without hitting the spokes.

Hopefully my new wheels will clear with little to no spacer.

If they don't I'll probably incorporate the spacer in to the rotor hat.

I don't think there is much to gain going bigger than that except moment of inertia.
  5. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I used these in my IS 350 before upgrading to S-04s. They left a little to be desired on grip and I had a lot of understeer. March 8 will be using them with the FiST for the first time. Will let you know.
    djdennehy likes this.
  6. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I just read an amusing review of the BFG Rival, here:

They sure like it. Note that one "con" was that "Not a daily driver by any stretch of the imagination". Until then I was really warming up to this tire. If you don't get wet traction and you're just going to drive it to the track, why not go with an even more aggressive tire?

Back to TireRack:

They simply call it an "Extreme Performance Summer Tire". In other words, intended for the street -- just pushing the envelope a bit? This tire's existence confuses me in terms of where it fits in the lineup.
  7. McRib 1s Back

Nice article, thank you for that. I'm unclear if the Proxes RR is top of the food chain and just relatively "undiscovered". They sure liked it!
  8. wash

wash Active Member

The rival is a 200 tread wear rating race tire that is somewhat streetable.

If you live in California with 300+ days of sun, it seems like a pretty good street tire.
  9. McRib 1s Back

Sounds right to me! We know the wear ratings are hard to reliably compare, but it sounds like the Rival is a peer to my present DZIIs.

The R1s still top my list. I might go back to 205s since R1s are famously wide.
  10. limbo

limbo Active Member

Most of the "extreme performance summer" category make decent street tires.

Even the RS-3's (which everyone complains about being bad in the rain) did just fine for me daily driving. It's FL so we got a good bit of rain, I just had to slow down. Racing in the rain on them is a different story.
  11. McRib 1s Back

Yep! My heat cycled DZIIs are fine here in SoCal. Like you said, it can work in the rain if you drive with care. Seriously, it doesn't rain here. We're officially concerned!

So, I don't care about wet traction, cold temperatures, or ride comfort...R1s for ride to the track! :)
  12. Purepump

Purepump Member

Well noted re ZII, its hugely popular here too and I'm about to replace the stock 050A with them at the next track event in couple weeks time. FiST sizes dont allow for much choices here, but in general I've heard praises on aforementioned RS3 and R888. Do consider Dunlop 03G, Federal FZ201 and Hankook TD Z221 too.
  13. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I hope to be getting the R888s very soon.
    I should then be able to speak of them better.

I was speaking to a friend and mentioned that we were going to Willow's Horse Thief Mile track.
    He told me that this track eats tires anyway as most of the turns are off camber.

Maybe I will do one more track date on the 050As just to get acquainted with the track.

14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I haven't done track days but did run across an article in Grassroots Motorsports December 2013 issue testing the BFG, Kooks and Re11A at a track in Texas.
    Good reading if you can find it...
  15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I just got my tax return so I will order my tires.

16. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Ran the R1's on my Evo. Did a back to back test at a track day 2 years ago. Nto1 vs R1.
    The nitto r comps were a huge step up from stock tires but when I swapped them out for the R1's I immediately shaved off another 2.5 seconds. I definitely felt like a hero.
    I realized after about 5 track days the R1's were cycling out and masking some of my bad driving habits so I went back to the NTo1s. What a let down! I felt so slow and sloppy on the nittos.
    When my z2's die I'm definitely going to the R1's.
  17. McRib 1s Back

It seems R1 tires run wide. Was that true for you too?

What size in stock vs R1?

Also 2.5s on what track?

Our cars are pretty light, so it really looks like we are not quite as hard on them as a result.
  18. Fiat slayer

Fiat slayer Member

If I were to track my car I would run 215/40/17 dunlop direzza z2
  19. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Stock tires on my X were 245s.
    My 265's R1's were the same size as my 275 NTo1s. So yes they run wide.

Lap times:
    Stock tire 2:05's
    275 nto1 2:01
    265 R1. 1:58.5

The track was Oregon Raceway Park. In all fairness to the comparison the straights are short and corners and elevation change are abundant.
  20. McRib 1s Back

That's mighty impressive. I'm betting there's more than just tire help going on there! :)

Did you already know the track before the comparison, or is that the part on stock tires?
  21. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

This is a track I've been to probably 7 or 8 times.

From stock to Nto1 I think I added coils and camber plates too. It was over 3 years ago so I don't remember exactly.

But the Nitto vs. R1 was done on the same day. I drove to the track on the Nittos did 2 sessions then swapped them out for the R1's.

I actually couldn't believe it when I was watching the lap timer. It didn't "feel" that much faster just more connected with no tread squirm from the R1's.