Best Track Day Tires (for a FiST!)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Any concerns about oil starvation with the high grip tires?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Mild concern. I don't expect this to be too big a deal for us.
  4. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Has anyone tested to see if the 215/45/17 Rivals fit with the stock wheel? I'm torn between Rivals and Z2s at the moment, but the only one I know for sure that fits is the Z2 (in the same size) as another member posted in the SCCA autocross thread that he had no rubbing whatsoever
  5. McRib 1s Back

Some have found 215s on stock rims to cause mild rubbing.

My concern is that some BFGs run wide. Take the R1 tires, for instance.

Try it out for us and report back! :)
  6. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Ha. I wish I could, but unfortunately I need what's going to work without rubbing. I did love my Z1 Star Specs, so I don't think I could go too wrong with Z2s
  7. McRib 1s Back

My 225/45/16 DZ2s are great for a street tire and I hear they're great for autox. I doubt any 215 tire will fit on the stock rim if your fitment requirement is "no rubbing under any condition".
  8. Nik17

Nik17 Member

9. McRib 1s Back

Yes, and that's a great thread. Clearance is pretty close even with stock tires in some conditions. Good luck and keep us posted on your experience! :)

If you look at my older wheel/tire thread, I originally posted that my 225/45/16s fit without rubbing -- and they do for street driving. At higher speed track events, they reliably rub, but only a tiny bit. I hate the sound and will fix it.

Back to my dilemma, I either need to settle for a different size or buy another set of wheels to play with the R1 tires. Check out the sizes:

The oddball 205/55/16 or 225/50/16 sizes may fit (I'm expecting it to be a "wider fit"). That's a lot taller than stock, in either size, however. Ugh.
  10. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Hey Rib,
    What are they rubbing on at the track?
  11. McRib 1s Back

On full compression, traveling over rougher tarmac, they rub the wheel liner. We're talking about a small <5mm section. The tire wins -- it's basically a self-clearance model!

Anyhow, I could tweak the liner a bit, but prefer not to. I'm going to increase the camber a bit, and that may do the trick (going from stock to -2.8 reduced it to almost nothing). Once I have my camber plates installed, I'll increase negative camber to -3.x. I'm hoping that does it completely, since it's only on the very final portion of the wheel travel curve.
  12. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Thanks for the info. Have you looked at the 205 R6? It's not terribly wide and the diameter looks very good!
  13. McRib 1s Back

Hoosier R6? Oh yeah, that's a great tire...

This got me thinking about the running costs, etc. I did a search for race tires on 15s but came up short (only saw were they were panned).

I'm back to thinking that could be cheap race tire fun! I'm shopping lightweight 15s with race tires again. I'm not afraid to try them out!

Hankook Ventus Z214 C51 (medium compound) in 225/45/15:

Now I need some lightweight 15x8s! Anyone have a suggestion? :)

14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ask PCA-1 He may have some 15x8 TD's coming in soon
  15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

The other problem I see with going to 15 inch is that you may limit your future brake possibilities.
    As you are choosing tires to increase track speeds you may find a need for more brake.

16. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Depends on what your are going for . If it is lighter but tight autoX type course then speed will still only be 60 mph maybe and a lighter car needs less brakes in that case so a big brake kit might not be the best in that case as the 20-30 lbs you save in unspring weight with a light set of tires and rims could allow you to accel corner and stop quicker.. Now if you are doing track or HPDE days then a big brake upgrade may be required at some point.. all depends what you are going for .. Out of the box for AutoX this car has very good brakes...

Ooops Nevermind I did not read the Title of the Thread.. Sorry
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  17. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I am sorry there was a misunderstanding.
    This is in a ROAD RACE thread.
    McRib and I both have stated that the tires we are looking at are for ROAD RACE use.
    I agree that 15" is better for AutoX and the OE brakes are great.

18. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ooops my bad my browser opened to the last post.. In that context You Sir are correct .. Apoligies Folks I am Sorry..... :egg::egg:
  19. McRib 1s Back

Ha, all good! :)

I just bought new wheels and tires! A new set of 15" Sparcos are scheduled to arrive tomorrow or Friday. These will join the family and matches my 16" Sparco Asseto Gara wheels. In black, of course. ;)

15x6.5", 42mm offset
    205/50/15 BFG R1 tires, heat cycled

Here's my logic:
    - The 15" Sparco wheels are 13.8 pounds, each. That's even lighter than the 16s (which are 16.7 pounds each).
    - 205/50/15 might yield the most abundant tire choice; it seems all the tires I like are available in that size (think Spec Miata).
    - BFG R1 tires appear to be a nice balance of traction and longer life (good heat cycle reports); I'm getting them machine heat cycled before mounting
    - The BFG R1 tires appear to run wide, so I'm going with 205/50/15. I'll take photos, but I bet they're nearly as wide as my 225mm DZ2s.
    - Shorter gearing: For my driving style, I find the 3-4 gearing to be too tall. These are 1" shorter so it should be noticeable at the track.
    - I'm not worried about brake heat but I'll watch this closely.
    - no need for TPM sensors on dedicated track tires; I'm going to keep my 16" wheels/tires for "street duty". :)

Mr UFO likes this.
  20. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

What !!!
    No Road Hazard Warranty?

21. McRib 1s Back

I *knew* I was forgetting something! ;)

So, we'll see how this works (provided I get them by Friday).

Did your R888s come in yet?