Best Track Day Tires (for a FiST!)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

I think Nto1's are a big step up on grip from the Ra1's.
    I've had Nto1's on a few of my cars and have always loved them. Great price and they last a long time!
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Update: The BFG R1 tires are heat cycling nicely. Since I don't have to worry about pesky tread patterns, they can be freely swapped from front-to-back, and side-to-side -- and I'm doing that after every HPDE! They aren't super sticky, but are clearly a step up from my DZ2s. I'm getting what I hoped for in terms of longevity.
    Mr UFO likes this.
  4. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

40 track days purchased in advance? Crikey. You must have gotten a helluva deal and: You WILL go through tires. It took me nearly 5 seasons to get that many events in. Everyone in my family thought I was a track day nut case. And: I have spent a lot on tires.

Personally, I've settled on the NT01s. In the past, I found them to be consistent, durable, and perfect for recreational lapping (when running them on my prior FWD track slave). Very cost effective. I experimented with some "discount" Hoosiers (a precursor to R6s...don't remember the designation) and then ran Toyo RA1s for awhile. In the end, the NT01s proved to be the best solution for my casual lapping purposes (while not giving up much performance). Thinking rationally: Dunlop DZIIs are definitely good enough for club lapping days -- and excellent drive-to-track and run-what-you-brung tires (and they're comparatively cheap). But the R-compounds just leave you with a feeling of driving more confidently at the edge of adhesion. Me so much like. Hah.

[Aside: I just ordered some 15x7 TD Pro Race 1.2 track wheels that will land in July some time and figure to get one or two track days in toward the end of the summer. That's a lot considering I've been off the habit for what will be nearly 3 full seasons. I'll run 205/50-15 tires on those, so there are a bunch of options -- but the NT01s and DZIIs are still the likely choices for me. Car is scheduled to land at the dealer in the next week or so (we'll see). I have plenty of time to ruminate on tires and pads (and believe me I have been). ]

Great to follow this thread and looking forward to seeing how things go for you with the BFG R1s.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  5. McRib 1s Back

Yeah, I got quite a deal. You don't have to buy that many, but as you'd guess, the deal gets sweeter with larger quantities (you can cut your track day costs in about half and then some). They're fully transferable too.

Thanks for that feedback -- the NT01s are developing quite a strong following! I really like the idea of them, too.

The new Hoosier R7s will be out any day. I've been working with our TireRack rep, but think I'll spring for the Hankook Z214 in medium compound (C51), next.

The BFG R1 tires are interesting. I like how they're wearing, and the grip is pretty darned good, too. Based on feedback from friends that race locally, the Hankook tires will be quite a bit stickier (heard them described as similar to the R6).

I dig the 205/50/15 setup, but can't help but wonder what wider R compound tires would be like!

As mentioned before, the Dunlop DZ2 tires are really nice -- but simply don't hold up to repeated laps at speed. If I had the NT01s, I'd probably just drive to the track on them. I considered doing that with my BFGs, but like the insurance of an extra set of tires. Going off the track can work wonders on your wheels/tires. Our desert racetracks work the tire bead pretty hard -- I thought I would have to swap wheels just to finish the day (but managed to dig out the dirt/rocks!).
  6. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

This is something that has me a little bit going back and forth about my "end state" in tires. The stock wheels come with Ok summer tires that could work for emergency use at the track in a pinch (NT01 failure) and would get me to and from the track. But keeping summers on that set of wheels permanently kind of forces me into considering a third set of wheels with all season tires for running around in the cold weather (we have 3 cars with studless winter wheel setups so I don't really need full winters for the ST). I had planned to immediately swap on some all-seasons to the stock wheels for around town driving, getting to the track, or pouring rain at the track (more likely to walk away from those events). On the fence.

Speaking of rocks...I noticed that my Hoosiers really picked up a ton of gravel bits in the paddock at our local tracks. RA1s and NT01s less so, but the would as well (especially when fresh). Kind of a a PITA for a recreational lapper.

Oh, and one question: Do you have a target tire pressure sorted out for 205/50-15s? With my old FWD car, I shot for a pressure of about 37-38 lbs all around when hot. Typically started with a kind of staggered cold pressure setup (based on clockwise vs. counterclockwise tracks): 29F/30R (outside tires) 30F/31R (inside tires). I got to those pressures using a Longacre Pyrometer (which I sold when I dumped the prior car...doh). That 37-38 target seemed to work for all the tires I used. All the tires got slippery above that.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Rib, did you end up running the Hankooks? Report?
    I hate the Z2's on the road course and am looking to change. There is not a ton of options out there with the 16's.
    I also thought about the Kuhmo's-great price point but on back order!
  8. McRib 1s Back

I'm still running BFG R1s in "Spec Miata" size! I agree about the Z2s on a road course and only use them on the street or as an emergency backup. Not so bad for quick street runs in my local industrial park!

The R1 is pretty good, but will run the Hankook Z214 C51s, soon! My car has been offline a bit, but I'm pretty much done now, and the car runs great.

Maybe we need to look at the new Hoosier R7?!
    Mr UFO likes this.
  9. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Is anyone here running the NT01's in 205/40/17 on their FiST? If so, what offset? I was looking into running these on a +42 and was looking to see if they would rub. I know they are pretty wide for their size.
  10. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Thanks for the update. The Hoosiers would be interesting but damn expensive compared to the Hankooks.
    What do you think about R comps on my stock suspension? I'm seriously not trying to throw a bunch of money at this car in hopes of the RS coming here!
  11. McRib 1s Back

Yeah, I hear you on the money. I'm sure better R compound tires from any make would be a great step up. Of course, you'll notice all that body roll and immediately need premium coilovers! :)

I didn't think much about the RS coming here and decided to build a lightweight ST for track duty. If the RS really comes out, I might have to start over. ;)