Bgf Rivals 225/50R16

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by Cligedy, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I believe you as I would not see a reason to mislead...I have seen the BFGs, they are super wide.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. can you take a picture of the rivals on the car? I would like to see what the gap looks like with tires this wide!
  4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

No just send me all the tires and i will independently verify your story ;) lol
    Cligedy likes this.
  5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I'll try to get a pic up this weekend.
    AdrianBrewster likes this.
  6. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

So I was checking the BFGs vs. ZII: The BFG Rival 225/50x16 has a 9.2" section width; 8.5" tread width; 24.9" dia; 836 r/mile. Guess that's why it looks wider when stacked.
    The Dunlop ZII 225/45x16 has an 8.9" section width; 8.5" tread width; 23.9" dia; 873 r/mile. 836/873, roughly a 4% increase.
    After several years using wide R-comps on 7.5" wheels, I can guarantee you the inside 1- 1 1/2" of tire will look as if it was never on the tarmac, so what ever visual advantage the Rival has on geometry is of little use.
    That being said, I would lean BFG way if they had a 40 or 45 series 16" tire but they don't.

IMHO I would rather have the shorter tire to autocross as it will spool up faster in the many turn-by-turn elements which would negate any 3 mph increase in terminal speed. I see tons of guys lose time just getting off the line or out of a corner...

Back in my F- Ford days there was always the debate, which would you rather do on a long straight? High terminal speed reaching it later and farther down the straight? Or, lower terminal speed but reaching it sooner and maintaining that speed longer on the straight? My answer was always get to that speed faster and maintain it.....
    In other words, get to 58 mph quicker and maintain it in slaloms rather than work at slaloms while increasing speed to 60 mph. If you think high terminal speed is the deal, why do so many Mini's win?

Work on being smoove and not fast. You'll go faster...
  7. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Here is the car with the Rivals mounted. The closeup shot is of the rear tire next to the fender liner. Not a lot of room there. I doubt you could fit any more tire in there. With stock offset, you may not be able to fit this much tire in there.

By the way Smokin, it's funny you pull up the stats for the tires. I had calculated the speed in gear for the Rivals to be 60.47 at the top of second. I did that using the specs listed on tire rack. According to the GPS, I was doing 60.4. I couldn't believe that the specs were that accurate.

IMG_20140119_203722_779.jpg IMG_20140119_203745_914.jpg IMG_20140119_203803_651.jpg IMG_20140119_203845_683.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

So the limiting factor with stock body panels is about 25 inches wheel dia then ?
  9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I would say 25" is ubbermax.
    Clidgey, that's a lot of meat on there.

I went with the Dunlop Direzza Z II 225/45/16 and Graphite Gray Sparco Assetto Garas like limbo.
    Ordered them this morning.
  10. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I ended up ordering a set of Team Dynamic's 15x8 and think i will end up with Rivals in the 225/45/15 size. Now i just have to wait on the wheels and order tires and then i can pray for spring :) ok i am doing the last as we speak .. stoopid cold an snow ...
    Smokin likes this.
  11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Dunlop Z2 compared to BFG Rivals, yup, a lot of meat. [​IMG]
  12. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

you have pics of the Dunlops on the car in the 225 50? I am leaning towards that size, but would not mind seeing the same shots you put up of the Rivals
  13. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

14. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Ok..thought those were 45s..
  15. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Oops, sorry, you're right. Mine are 45s too though.
  16. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member I get why the circumference of the rival looks to be so much greater than the Dunlop. 8 weeks to go here until the first events - hopefully we will start to see some tires turned in anger before that.
  17. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Sorry for the mixup, I have another thread talking about my running two different sizes / brands of tire. I forgot that the Z2s were available in a 50 profile.

Test-n-tune in 1 month, 1st event the week after that. Can't wait.
  18. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Ha-me too.
  19. JT-KGY

JT-KGY New Member

Guys.. will the 225/50/16 Bridgestone RE71R fit?
    Sorry, I know this is an old thread.
  20. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Based on my experience with the Rivals, sort of . For around town should be fine, aggressive driving will cause rubbing on the fender lining. If the Bstones are as wide as the Rivals, then the headlight brackets will rub and cut into the shoulder of the tire at partial lock in hard cornering. [​IMG]I would advise against that size if a 225/45r16 is available.
  21. Phreak

Phreak New Member

Did you Autocross with these tires? Did they rub? If so, was it on the front or rear?

I am considering the same setup right now, but I'd like to know if it works. I've been running RE-71R 205/50R16's without any issue up to this point. I almost feel like a 225/45R16 would work, but that is an expensive investment and I want to be sure about it first.