Bikes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McRib 1s Back, Dec 20, 2013.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Both motorcycle and bicycles! I've owned 20+ motorcycles over the years and presently have seven bicycles. Based on the screen names, I'm guessing some of you are bike guys too.

While I've had some exciting bikes, I have two pretty tame ones right now: Honda NC700X DCT and a Honda Grom! The Grom is actually super fun; both bikes are great. I get an actual, observed 67 MPG on my commutes on the NC700! I also carry two gallons of fuel in the "frunk" and it's probably the most practical bike ever. Think of it as the hatchback of bikes! :) It's not a bad handler either.

I sold my KTM SMT 990 a few months ago, and that was a hoot. A Triumph Speed Triple 1050, a 49-states model Yamaha R6, and maybe the Honda Hawk might have been the most fun.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

I've only owned this since racing as a kid. Such a good all around bike, albeit a bit small for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking into something a bit bigger for touring.

iLiptiKal likes this.
  4. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

SV650 is a great all around bike. My wife had one (that I regret selling) because it was a blast and a real fuel sipper too.

My current bike is an 09 Buell XB12Ss. Handles incredibly well in the mountain twisties and is fast enough for me (and the street really...)

[​IMG]

Current mtn bike (that I dont ride enough) is a Giant Reign 0

[​IMG]

5. brian

brian Member

Another rider here. Got hooked in '09 and haven't looked back since! [​IMG]

6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Although I have had very many in the past.
    This is what I have currently.
    This is my other ST.
    It's a fully restored 1972 Honda ST90, Japanese model, otherwise known as the,
    MIGHTY DAX

[​IMG]

Dave

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  7. moshaholic2

Used to have a monster too. Fun bikes!

brian likes this.
  8. Phinnegan

Phinnegan New Member

I also had an SV650, they're fantastic bikes, all that torque... But that Buell wins =) alas, grumble grumble harley grumble.

9. pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2 Active Member

I'm a cyclist. I used to ride around 10,000 miles a year and used to race (road) Cat 4/5 and 35+ age group. These days I'm lucky to get 4,000 miles yearly. I ride a 2012 Specialized Tarmac SL2 Elite (with SRAM RIVAL groupset). I used to build and ride my own high end road bikes. I sold 10 a year for two years and then the economy really went south. Here is a picture of one of my bikes:

Attached Files:

Noah likes this.
  10. pelotonracer2

I also rode a Kawasaki Z1000 back in 2004... loved that bike!

11. McRib 1s Back

Great photos! The Honda mini-bike is awesome -- it's why I bought my new Grom! I coveted one when I was a kid, but could not afford one. I don't ride it much now, but I love looking at it. I've had a bunch of bikes that I just had to own, but for whatever reason, didn't ride much. Speaking of which, I can never be without a motorcycle; I literally have an aching void when I don't have a bike in my life! :)

I'm a cyclist too, but life has gotten in the way and I don't ride nearly as much. A good week used to be 150-200 miles, but it's down to a pitiful trickle of that now.

Just because I'm not riding, doesn't mean I can't have a garage full of bikes! I have one for every occasion. I love my Gary Fisher tribute bike -- a Trek 29er Sawyer. I put 2.5" Schwalbe Big Apple slicks on it and converted it to a single speed with a Gates Carbon belt system! When I ride, I love terrorizing casual cyclists and Tri-guys on it. It's a sick pleasure to drop them on sprints. :whistling:

My other bikes include a Specialized S-Works Tarmac (9 speed DuraAce), a titanium GT Edge crit bike (8 speed DuraAce), an Ellsworth Dare downhill mountain bike, a Swobo Otis (3-speed internal hub) "city bike", a couple "parts bikes", and even a unicycle! :)

pelotonracer2 likes this.
  12. moshaholic2

I think what this post illustrates best is the market for the FiST is not the youth market at all.

Id wager a bet that most on this board are 30+. Most likely bought this car not because it what we could afford but were pure enthusiast purchases.

The market is going to be tiny for the ST. And the slow roll out of aftermarket parts is a refection of that. Im sure COBB and FSwerks both know the real #'s of cars sold and Im sure its quite small.

But back on topic, sweet bikes everyone! There ALWAYS needs to be a two wheeled option available too. Moto or bike.

pelotonracer2 and McRib 1s Back like this.
  13. McRib 1s Back

I think we'll see a slowly growing new segment of young buyers, but the bigger (though still small) market will be people like us. It's priced right, but might not be cool enough for the younger crowd!

It's funny when you think of the seat upgrades as 10% of the base price of the car! Many of us also instantly plunked down big coin on upgrades. This is the heart of an enthusiast car!

All of the moto rags love it, and it's the only car in recent memory that seems incapable of receiving a negative review! Most things in life that are liked by some are loathed by others. I think we'll get a taste of that, but it's so squarely aimed, that it will be remembered as a car that started a sea change here in the USA.

I'm a big Top Gear fan, and it was nice to hear that Jeremy Clarkson believes it's the best car in the segment (and not the fastest). I've always dreaded his negative comments on the cars I loved in the past.

Now, I have stumbled on some funny/hateful comments from the MS3 guys, but that's just sour apples. :)

14. pelotonracer2

Yeah, I'm 45. I got rid of a 300 rwhp MS3 with only 35,000 miles on the odometer just so I could get a FiST. While the MS3 is considerably faster in a straight line, the FiST is without a doubt a MUCH better "drivers" car. The driver dynamics of this vehicle are stellar. It also handles better, gets better fuel economy, is $100.00 less per month car payment and my insurance is less too (but only by a few dollars). Plus, IMO, nothing beats the visceral "feel" or driving experience than a 2700 pound car with around 200+ hp. :)

15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

BTW,
    I have enough parts to put together three more of there rare Honda ST90s, pictured above.
    They could then be restored.
    It makes a great father & son project.

Dave

Applejack likes this.
  16. jariten

jariten Member

Currently bikeless, but I've owned a number in the past 15 years. My favorites are 70s and 80s Japanese bikes.

Some of my old ones include: 69 Bonnie, 90s 750 Nighthawk, Honda Pacific Coast, a number of KLR650s, a number of VFR/Interceptors of various ages, 90s Vmax, 74 Kawa 500 triple (nasty fun bike, everyone should ride one), 2000 W650, a couple DRZ400s, and lots of others. Almost all of them were bought non-running and fixed up then sold for a very minimal return.

All time favorite though was my 82 GPz550. It was literally the perfect bike for me. Comfortable, light, agile, quick enough, and bullet proof. If I ever get another bike, it'll be one of those (or maybe a Ural).

17. McRib 1s Back

Oh! I meant to share this earlier, but Long Beach recently had an electric vehicle event and invited all of the manufacturers out (big and small). The typical assortment of electric cars were there (I had a Nissan Leaf -- story for another off topic thread!).

Brammo and Zero were there with their e-bikes! At this event you could ride or drive anything. So, I rode all the demo bikes!

The stuff from Zero is great, and probably a good fit for a commuter bike -- and general purpose riding. It's a single speed reduction gear, like most of the e-cars. Cool.

Now for something special! The Brammo Empulse and Empulse R are big fun. It makes power like a fast middle weight, and the torque is instantly available (nothing like 100% torque at 1RPM!). I fell in love with the Empulse R and tried to buy it...

And that's the problem with small manufacturers -- they don't have a real retail setup yet. They make it tough to buy, and don't work as a normal dealership. I lost interest, but might go back again. If you have the chance to ride one, you should! Check out the Eric Bostrom videos online. :)

18. Roadrunner362

Roadrunner362 New Member

My stable currently houses a 2003 Buell Lightning XB9s, a 2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm and a 2006 Kawasaki KX250f that I use for dirt as well as supermoto. For bicycles I have a Specialized Stump Jumper and a Redline 24" bmx cruiser.

19. speedprotege

speedprotege Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Here's my toys, bike is a 2008 Honda CBR 600RR

djdennehy likes this.
  20. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

I was a major motorcycle enthusiast until an accident almost 2 years ago now nearly took my ability to walk.

Obviously, I'm intact now, but the implant in my hip harmonizes with the motor on a bike, and it's no freakin bueno

[​IMG]
    Here's my Blast 515cc - it wasn't stock. RIP blast. :(

here's me, my lady and my favorite bike - my "weekend" bike, 1990 Suzuki Katana GSX-600F. Loved riding 2-up on it and all the adventures I had on it. I miss that bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. CanadianST

CanadianST New Member

I've got a few bikes at the moment. Currently finishing up the restoration on a 1988 Honda Hurricane (CBR 600). Bought it as a box of parts and am just finishing up the wiring now. Also have a 1978 Kz1000 !

[​IMG]

Steve@Tasca and captainmorbid like this.