Black Box on windshield behind mirror

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by MLKN, Apr 23, 2014.

1. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I have searched the internet and other forums and have not gotten a satisfactory answer. What is the black box mounted on the windshield behind the mirror? Most importantly, can it be used to track my movements to the racetrack? Thanks.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

I believe that is where the compass/thermometer is housed.

4. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

The thermometer is inside the car?

5. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Sounds strange to me but everything i could find about it says it 100% has the compass and possibly the thermometer. Im no expert though.

6. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

Pretty sure its where the Dilithium crystals are housed :cool:

7. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I suspected it contained dark matter

8. k757

k757 Active Member

My guess..... sirius antenna

9. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I had Sirius on my '11 SES and the antenna for that was the black box that the whip antenna screws into. We still have that, so why add another box?

10. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I believe it's where the GPS antenna is located.

11. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

According to the Ford reps, it is the GPS receiver.

12. FordService

FordService Official Ford Representative

It's the compass module. :)
    DirtyBlueshirt, I think you were the first person who asked me about this?

Meagan

13. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

Compass module, that's it. Yes, I did ask originally. I couldn't find the original thread.

14. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

Meagan,

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

15. FordService

FordService Official Ford Representative

You're welcome! :cat:

Meagan

16. David Heller

David Heller New Member

My 2014 Fiesta does NOT have a Compass or a GPS system. So, again, what the heck is the black box on the windshield? Is someone/some company tracking me?

17. arcyallen

arcyallen Member

Actually David, your ST (I assume) does have a GPS system, just not the navigation software. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but they all have the GPS hardware. And yes, they're tracking you. They're always tracking you :). And if I assume if it's an ST it does indeed have a compass on the SYNC screen?

18. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

arcyallen is right. ALL the STs have the GPS hardware regardless of whether or not they have the navigation option. You can see this for yourself by touching the "Information" button on the screen (upper right). On the Information screen, press the button that says "Where am I?". Your GPS coordinates will be displayed.

19. David Heller

David Heller New Member

Hi ... I went to the Ford dealership and the mystery is solved. The black box glued to the top of the front windshield is a LIGHT SENSOR and automatically turns on your headlights on when it starts getting dark outside. That's why the glue used is transparent. Hope this answer all your questions and speculations. Cheers, David

20. David Heller

David Heller New Member

I didn't see it, but I'll look again. Thanks for your tips and the info! Also, I just posted that I went to the dealership and learned that at least one of the functions this black box provides is to sense when it gets darker outside and then automatically turn on the headlights.

21. arcyallen

arcyallen Member

Strangely, that's a different sensor than the one that dims the SYNC display. At twilight mine sometimes goes dark/light/dark/light while my headlights stay unchanged. A little annoying, especially when you think it might be another defect!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016