Boost Gauge?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by djdennehy, Jan 21, 2014.

1. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

New to the forum, just bought my Tuxedo Black ST last week, and although I am more than happy with the equipment in my FiST, wondering why no boost gauge in the car...

What solutions are you guys using to show Boost pressure? Anything I could plug my iPhone to possibly?

Also, what options are available for Oil Temp? Pressure? Air/Fuel?

Thanks, Dan

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I'm using a ScanGauge. The latest version allows you to use the Manifold Absolute Pressure gauge as vacuum/boost gauge. You can also use an Ultragauge, or go all in with the Cobb AccessPort which allows engine tuning and gauges. There are also WiFi OBDII scanners that you can use with your phone.

4. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Do you by chance know the name of an OBD II app that I could purchase for my phone? I am guessing that I will need some sort of wire to connect the phone to the port as well? (I am used to tuning a 1988 Toyota Supra with a OBD I port)

5. WScottCross

There's one called Rev that works on the iPhone with the WiFi OBDII scanner. There is a popular app called Torque that was developed for Android, but I'm not sure if it's available for iPhone. (Sorry, I don't have an iPhone so I can't give recommendations on apps)

6. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Thanks for the advice, I will do some research to see whats what...

7. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I too would have liked to see them added.
    However I am sure that the main reason these gauges were not included was cost.
    All of these functions are controlled by the ECU and are not adjustable, therefor these gauges are not necessary to average consumer.
    If you plan to do your own tuning then you could add these to your car.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

Dave

8. silvertoy

silvertoy Member

I am using a cheapy BAFX obdII Bluetooth adapter I got on amazon with the Torque app. Its awesome. Pretty much any info you could want. I went and spent the $2 for the pro version because I wanted to support them for an awesome app.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    LotusZX3, Cligedy and Tim McCarthy like this.
  9. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Just ordered one via Amazon, thanks for the heads up!

10. eRic

eRic Active Member

the Focus ST has a boost gauge, so why can't we?
    [​IMG]

11. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Those are hideous! :)

Just use your AP, already!

Firesail and LuvfiestaST like this.
  12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Can do a AP is you run scca stock can you ??

13. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

AP is legal, tune isn't.

14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

All depends if you read about how it alters boost in 1 and 2 gears that is my question area..

15. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Cobb could answer how the tune would affect boost. The way I read it, if the tune just alters the torque targets in the engine parameters (which sounds like a big part of what the Cobb changes), then the tune is legal for Stx. Cobb sounds pretty responsive to customer feedback. They may be able to confirm this, or even come up with a class legal tune.

In Street (was Stock) class, no tune is permitted.

16. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ya I read that too .. With all that's going on its STX for me if I make any scca events this year ., time will tell ..

17. COBB

COBB Active Member

Technically we do not adjust Boost Pressure, we adjust the Turbo Inlet Pressure (TIP) which is pre-throttle. In the case of the FiST, we lower the maximum TIP the car can achieve by 1psiA compared to stock. We also increase the torque caps on 1st and 2nd gear which will allow the car to achieve more load and boost in each of those gears. I'm not sure how the rule book for STX treats these types of changes, so you'll want to check with your SCCA class for more clarity.

Cheers,
    -Braden @ COBB

RodMoe and Cligedy like this.
  18. WScottCross

From the 2014 SCCA rules draft A:
    Sounds like it's legal for STX since they are not directly changing boost controls.

Cligedy likes this.
  19. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Seriously, you guys are knocking it out of the park with responsiveness on these boards. I am running Street class where the tune isn't legal, but I kinda want to buy an AP just to support you. Keep up the great work.

__V__ and COBB like this.
  20. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

How would they know if your car is tuned or not?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

21. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

by the guilty look on your face...

djdennehy, __V__, LuvfiestaST and 2 others like this.