Brake Biopsy Post-Track Day

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by was-an-M, Aug 9, 2014.

1. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

They didn't really give me a leadtime when I ordered but I ordered very early in the availability so it was probably growing pains.

If they are all noisy then I'll go with the R4 track compound again. I liked the bite and being back on street pads I realize how much better the porterfields were.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I'd have to say it's the same class/type of sound, but not nearly as loud. It's like any compromise, really. I don't mind the loud noises on the track, but for some reason, I'm almost completely intolerant of this on the street! So, yeah -- go R4 and swap at the track! :)

4. maybe_fiestast

maybe_fiestast New Member

Nice post. I am still having a tough time figuring out what car to buy. I have a mini coupe on order but I am super close to buying a Fiesta ST. Still a toss up. I want to do heavy autox and light track use (hdpe)

5. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

Read all the reviews, test drive both and then decide. There are a lot of happy customers here and I'd argue the Fiesta is better for your purposes compared to a new Mini.

6. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I was at the Octane Academy Thursday, I took my car out so it can be seen and the head of the race shop, the one with dozens of race Mustangs, wanted to check the car out, he drove it and loved it.

I asked him what they are doing for brakes on the FiST as the pads did not sound aggressive like they did on the FoST.

Stock pads and rotors, I did not ask about fluid but that is pretty much a standard for any track use, upgrade it.

Any issues? None, even when it was over 100 degrees

How often do you change pads? Every 2 months or so

Tires, BFG Comp 2 on stock wheels.

Longest session, right after somebody else got out of the car, 25 minutes, so 50 minutes or so of going all out on track with one fairly quick stop.

I found the car to be very easy to drive all out, brake late, no fade, not R comp tires which would allow later braking but I was going in very deep and pretty aggressive on the brakes but it was in the 60's that day.

----------------

Once you go past stock power, stickier tires, that is where the most issues seem to come up...so a BBK or at least cooling ducts and the best pads and fluids may be needed.

----------------

The 11.75" BBK can be sourced to fit under some 15" wheels, the prototype caliper mounts will need an adjustment to bring the caliper in just a bit closer to the center as mine are a bit to close to the rotors, I am going to send the info in on Monday to get the correction dialed in.

Many pads to choose from, different grade rotors available but the GT's will work the best and last the longest, kit price is very very affordable and maintenance time, which sucks if at the track, especially the cost to be there and miss any time lapping, etc....overall this can be less expensive that stock brakes and a great deal better.

7. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I forgot to mention, I was very impressed with the speeds attained and easy to drive on the Comp 2 tires, very forgiving and predictable.

I also liked driving the FiST a great deal more than the Fost, which had aftermarket pads, Mich tires, an extensive cooling package to deal with overheating issues...the FiST was totally stock in that department.

8. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

Isn't the stock brake fluid Dot 4? I was under the impression that that is pretty good for high performance. Everybody keeps saying to upgrade it.

9. McRib 1s Back

Indeed, the OEM Ford brake fluid is very good. For the street or occasional track day you may never need better...

You'll have issues on the track with it. Switch it when you do your SS lines! :)

10. carramrod

carramrod New Member

Octane cars are running 100% water and water-wetter. That's the only change they did.

I find it hard to believe they aren't having cooling issues at 100F temps, being that there's multiple accounts of people getting hot on track in the 90+F heat. Could be a mix of altitude, humidity, etc...

11. McRib 1s Back

That sounds about right to me. At WSIR with ambient temperature well north of 100 deg F, my stock coolant system (but w/Mountune FMIC!) worked fine. The point about humidity is interesting. I'd imagine SLC has similar conditions for the same time of year.

I originally didn't credit my FMIC as having much role, but I now believe it's a pretty big deal for cooling.

Water/Water-Wetter is a great combo that has worked well for me in the past. I'm switching to this mix when I do my AC delete kit and front bar removal tweaks. Freeing up space up front should help flow considerably.

12. McRib 1s Back

Like most here will tell you, it sounds like a Fiesta ST is in your future! ;)

Many of us are super fickle -- and have no problem telling you what we do NOT like about our FiST. With rare exception, there isn't buyer's remorse here. I don't auto-x these days, but love track days of all kinds.

Small tweaks make this car really wake up. I'm still very pleased with my car and think it's a better car for such use. You'll have to let us know, however you decide.

13. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

This is exactly what I do with mine. I've got three words for you: Fan Tas Tic.

Look for my build thread on grassroots motorsports.com. I have links to it on other posts around here... And soon I will be writing up my experience this past weekend at VIR. All I can say is wow. What a rewarding weekend.

I love the Fiesta for so many reasons. And I hate it for just one: there are no little hooks in the ceiling above the doors for your suit/shirt hanger.

14. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

My only complaint is no tow hooks. On topic... Ordered my porterfield r4s pads today and a nice aluminum floor jack and stands.

15. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

The reason for that is that clothing hanging there would interfere with the side-curtain air bags,