Brakes

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by LuvfiestaST, May 2, 2014.

1. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

I have been hearing a grinding type noise coming from my rear brakes. It's mostly in the morning after my car has been sitting over nite.. Sure it can't be the pads already at 18000 kms.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

The pads are very metallic. If things are damp/humid at all overnight then you will hear grinding on the first couple of stops till you grind the rust off the pads. As long as it gets quiet after that then it's normal.

4. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

I thought our stock brakes were composite?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

5. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

To be honest stunty, I am not positive what the pad compound is. I am, however, sure that the grinding noise is what I have always heard from performance pads I have run over the years.

LuvfiestaST likes this.
  6. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Same with mine. I just got used to it.

7. LuvfiestaST

I prefer
    quiet brakes..;)

8. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

usually quiet brakes mean less friction (i.e. less performance)... if you have ever been in a car with racing rotors and pads they make all kinds of noise... but that's a good thing...

SpaceFish and xorpheous like this.
  9. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

I like noisy brakes as long is they sound like race car brakes :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

10. Gremzor

Gremzor New Member

How noticeable is the grinding? I notice a grinding noise only at low speed when coming to a stop. I had it into the dealer for it once, they replaced the rear rotors and pads and it was quiet...for a week or two. Now it grinds just the same, not sure if I should be concerned about it or not. Less than 3000 miles on it thus far...

LuvfiestaST likes this.
  11. LuvfiestaST

It seems to happen more in the rain or damp conditions.

12. Gremzor

Gremzor New Member

Interesting, mine grind every time I stop.

djdennehy likes this.
  13. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I don't really use mine, so I'm not sure what they sound like. :wideyed:

djdennehy likes this.
  14. OLST

OLST New Member

Yup, mine makes a grinding sound just before I stop everytime, wet or dry.

If I'm careful, I can hold the brakes at a point where it grinds non-stop.

15. stevesta

stevesta New Member

I just took mine in for a service at 12000 Km and I mentioned that the rear brakes were grinding and could they please check them.

Picked it up that afternoon and they said that they had turned the rotors a little as the brake pad material had migrated onto the rotors, sure enough no grinding the next day, even though it rained most of the night before.

Food for thought?

Steve

Neely2005, Bavarian and LuvfiestaST like this.
  16. eRic

eRic Active Member

the rotors are iron. look at them in the morning after it rained and you'll see that they have orange spots on them. the first few brake applications will scrape away the surface rust then they'll be quieter. normal.

17. scooby2

scooby2 New Member

Has anyone tried different pads? The stock pads put off so much brake dust. I swear I have to clean my wheels every week.

18. eRic

eRic Active Member

The OE Fiesta ST pads are fantastic! ST Octane Academy uses OE pads and rotors on their Fiesta ST and they held up nicely on the track. yes they are dusty like the UK pads that I installed on my 2011 Fiesta after trying EBC Greenstuff and Hawk HP+ pads. The UK Fiesta and our Fiesta ST pads are grippy like the EBC Greenstuff but take the heat like the Hawk HP+ without the squeal. They dust about the same as the EBC Greenstuff so you just need to clean your wheels every so often. That combined with the OE summer tires and the Fiesta ST is the only car that I have autocrossed and tracked without feeling the urge to replace brake pads or tires for something "better" than OE.

BlackBird and SpaceFish like this.
  19. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

A word regarding track days and painted calipers: I painted my calipers yellow a while back, loving the look against the Race Red of the car. On the way back to KC from STOA, I stopped at High Plains Raceway (HPR) east of Denver, where they were having an open lapping day. Spent a good portion of the afternoon on the track. Noticed when I got back home that my front calipers are now basically brown-grey. It looks like the brake dusts caked on hot calipers and then got baked on for good measure. They will not be scrubbed clean, and I tried the caliper cleaning solution that came with the paint (from Dupli-Color) with no effect. I'm not complaining--just sharing the info. I don't know if the factory option of red calipers encounters the same issue or not.

20. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

What did you use to paint the calipers? I used VHT orange caliper paint and have not had the issues you describe. I have not done any track events but have done a couple autocross test&tune events with many back to back runs and not had any discoloration of the paint.

21. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I used the Dupli-Color kit, with their yellow paint. Seems like basic yellow enamel paint. I dunno if all their colors would be susceptible to the same (sometimes pigments affect paint behavior significantly, I've been told). Note--I don't know whether it's brake dust being "baked on", as I put it, or true discoloration. The latter may actually make more sense, since the pigment itself could be subject to temperature degradation.

That said, I think the heat to which the brakes/calipers were subjected at HPR was probably significantly in excess to a test & tune. The weather itself was hot (90-degrees-plus), and the speeds, hardness and frequency of braking, etc., were, I believe, in sum well beyond what the brakes could experience on a typical autocross course, and I more than once ran probably 10-15 laps consecutively.