Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by LuvfiestaST, May 2, 2014.

1. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

I split time between FL and NC and when in FL....on the beach it does the patented metal on metal noise which goes away after using the brakes once or twice. I don't get the horrid noise when I'm up in the Smokey Mountains in the mornings like I do in FL. Any kind of my case salt spray moisture causes it.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Driver45

Driver45 Member

Just as an FYI to all...the brake grinding that I was hearing was very different than the warm up brake grind. My brakes still squeal and grind in the morning, or after the car has cooled down. Depending on the ambient temperature I have to do a few moderate, non downshifting stops, to warm up my brakes. There will always be a grinding and/or squealing from the brakes when they are cold, since they are an aggressive composite. If your grinding or squealing does not go away after a few stops and you were trying to warm them, then I would say you have a problem. When I had the issue my brakes seemed like they would just never warm up, based on sound and a bit of feel. Now that I have set them up properly with a brake in, I am able to feel a difference once warmed up. They feel more sticky when braking and when I press/release at a stop. Also, I pay more attention to my use of the parking brake when I park the car, because if I was driving more spirited or just had some quicker stops I do not use the parking brake (just 1st gear) - unless I am on an incline, then I just bite the bullet and use the brake. I would rather have minimally warped brakes than a roll away car.
    Neely2005 likes this.
  4. Driver45

Driver45 Member

This is not an issue with the OEM Red Brakes. Dust gets caked on, but comes off with some light scrubbing.
  5. Ca5p3r

Ca5p3r Member

For some reason I thought the FiST was like my neon with a rear disc plus hat for the hand brake... If we are having the squealing, which does not appear to be alleviated after brakes have warmed up (assuming that they have warmed up in below 0 degree weather plus wind chill) can it be safely assumed that the fronts are the ones squealing if you have tried slowing the car down by use of the hand brake only and experience no squealing?
  6. Driver45

Driver45 Member

I have never tried to warm up brakes by using the e-brake...I am more concerned about warming the front brakes.
  7. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Want to bet? I had the same issue with my Fiesta SES around 15,000 Km:

And guess what now at 18,000 Km my Fiesta ST needs... new Pads and new Rotors! At least it's under the 20,000 Km warranty period.

The Fiesta Rotors are garbage across the line. Whenever I need to replace them out of my own pocket I'll definitely be buying After Market parts!
  8. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

Now at 35000 kms they hurt the ears in the morning mostly thinking it the -20+ Temps at night
  9. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

The dealership called me to let me know that they've replaced the front rotors and brake pads but now they're going to do the rear rotors and brake pads. At least it's under warranty.
    LuvfiestaST and Driver45 like this.
  10. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

I got my car back today. They replaced all 4 rotors and the front pads. The service manager apologized for it taking so long (they had my car for 3 days) as they had a hard time finding the rotors. Apparently they are failing at a higher than normal rate.

He also said that they no longer machine rotors to resurface them as it never works and only temporarily fixes the problem for a few months.
    Driver45 and LuvfiestaST like this.
  11. Izzy

Izzy Member

While my FiST has less than 2400mi. and I've yet to experience the friction noise; I do have plenty of experience with racing pads. My old turbo EG6 civic went through many different compounds. Different compounds have different operating temperatures. That's why they usually stop being noisy after you build some heat in them. I forget what brand or compound I ran once, but they sounded like I had a 4 puck clutch at each corner. Until I confirm that a Hawk ceramic would improve stopping I'll keep the O.E. setup dirty wheels and all as they are excellent!
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015