Building a FiST for Road Racing with MotoIQ!

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Apr 15, 2015.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

While the thread over in the EcoBoost tuning section has sprawled into a lot more than tuning, I thought I'd start a proper one here. Ironically, I never did sort out my ECU woes. For now, I'll just tuck away the various harnesses -- and carefully hack them out, one at a time, later...

Also, a few of you have probably figured out that my car is the MotoIQ project Fiesta ST car. It's not so much a secret, as an issue of timing.

Here on out, I'll link to it and even provide unique content, here on this forum, as I have it. I'm excited about the car, and very fortunate to have friends that can help me build something truly special! If you have questions about any part of the build, feel free to ask. My free time has been pretty limited for such things lately, but I'll do my best to keep content on this forum current.

MotoIQ's Project Fiesta ST

(http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Ford/FiestaST.aspx)

Edit: Fix hyperlink.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

My earlier idea about using a "shorty exhaust" was bad on many levels. Recall, this is how I melted my stock fuel tank! Also, I have since learned that many rules require the exhaust to exit behind the driver's compartment...

Here's an early look at my new custom 3" SS system:

Attached Files:

4. McRib 1s Back

We decided to use v-bands to make it easy to handle, and to deal with different tests in the future:

Attached Files:

5. McRib 1s Back

Here you'll see an extra hangar (over the stock points). It stiffens up the system considerably:

Attached Files:

6. McRib 1s Back

Topping things off is a simple turn-down tip; there isn't a muffler on this system. I can tell you that this is a very quiet setup! At the track, with a cat-free DP (and nothing else), it was still one of the quietest cars on the track (under load). Curiously, it was still pretty burbly/growly sounding at idle. It was especially fun to hear the little turbo spin up so effortlessly!

Attached Files:

7. McRib 1s Back

It's time to put the car back together! Today will be spent re-installing the dash and getting the fuel system online.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429295171.697995.jpg

8. McRib 1s Back

Fuel lines are attached:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429403745.179306.jpg

KKaWing likes this.
  9. McRib 1s Back

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429403801.773616.jpg

Here's the fuel cell vent:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429403815.631908.jpg

KKaWing likes this.
  10. McRib 1s Back

The dash is pretty much back together now:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429403858.617783.jpg

11. Chuckable

Chuckable Member

McRib 1s Back likes this.
  12. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

100% full of awesome! It is nice seeing people building an actual race car talk about the complexities about building a modern street car into a race car. I am amazed at how many people greatly over simplify the electronics in modern cars and don't realize how important some of the features are in order to keep the car operating.

13. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Merged threads to keep the content together. Really impressive stuff going on with this build!

McRib 1s Back likes this.
  14. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

I'm not being critical with this question as I am actually curious....

Is there a reason they didn't triangulate the rear of the cage?

15. McRib 1s Back

16. McRib 1s Back

Maybe it has to do with an earlier photo, or different perspective -- but I'm not sure how you mean. The cage is triangulated. This is a fairly typical compromise of weight, performance, and safety while meeting all contemporary club/sanction rules.

17. McRib 1s Back

Here's a shot of more fuel system plumbing from the underside -- nearly done!

Attached Files:

18. McRib 1s Back

Random shot with the new wheel -- this time with actual rubber!

Attached Files:

19. koozy

koozy Active Member

thought you mentioned you had Volks TE-37's?

20. McRib 1s Back

Indeed I did. Somewhere in this merged thread I wrote about why it didn't work out. They did exist, but our funky 4x108 pattern just isn't popular enough to warrant another production run. They'll do it for an order of 20 sets, however...

21. koozy

koozy Active Member

bummer, there's pics floating around with a Fiesta overseas on TE37's and they look good on the car.