Camber Bolts

Discussion in 'FSWERKS' started by Smokin, Jan 22, 2014.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I'm curious how much the rest of you get by loosening and maybe using the hammer technique! :)

My experience was that I gained almost nothing measurable that way. I suppose every car has different tolerances. If you increased the "hole slop", would that be cheating?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

It's actually reassuring that everyone is trying to get as much as they can within the rules, and you rarely here anybody say or imply that they are willing to cheat. This is from the 2013 rules, the 14' draft language is a little different:

Both the front and rear suspension may be adjusted through their designed range of adjustment by use of factory adjustment arrangements or by taking advantage of inherent manufacturing tolerances. This encompasses both alignment and ride height parameters if such adjustments are provided by the stock components and specified by the factory as normal methods of adjustment. However, no suspension part may be modified for the purpose of adjustment unless such modification is specifically authorized by the factory shop manual

McRib 1s Back likes this.
  4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Here's my Question since i opted to get a COBB AP that kicks me into STX already correct ?
    I looked through the rules but must have missed it and can't find a new printing aka 2014 reg's .
    Anyone know off hand or have a link to a copy of the new rules ? Or is it too early for them to be out yet ?

5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

7. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

The biggest thing that the alignment will do for me is to get the car set up so the alignment is the same left to right with me in the car. Plus play with toe and try to get as much - camber out of the rear as possible...you are not going to get any more in the front without changing the bolts, which until Ford sells them or the SCCA allows other manufacturer bolts you can't do and stay in Stock.

8. F1ST

F1ST Member

Can't you just remove the tune to race?

Cligedy likes this.
  9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I guess that might have been a option well have to wait and see ;)

10. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

The short answer is No. An ECU tune is not allowed even if it is set at stock. It is written somewhere in there

11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

But doesn't the Cobb AP have the ability to reset the ECU to the full OEM and remove the tune completely? If it changes the ECU to OEM parameters, but is still a tune, then it's not legal. But if the tune is removed completely then it is legal for Street class. That's the way I read the rules.

12. eRic

eRic Active Member

there is no factory specified adjustment on the rear twist-beam for camber

Smokin likes this.
  13. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Then I wouldn't suggest bending it in any way.
    As there would be no spec to set it back to.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  14. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Didn't the ST guys go through trouble to REDUCE camber out back? I think this could be worth tweaking, but I'm curious what you guys are after. I thought that was one key to getting oversteer in this car.

I'm all about tweaking the suspension, just not randomly.

15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I had designed some rear camber plates some time back.
    I just never got around to building/installing them.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

Dave

16. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I know...but you still may be able to wiggle a couple of tenths out of it. The mini did not have any factory specified adjustment on the front of the cooper, but if you pulled the plastic pins that are put on the car during manufacturing to get the alignment close during assembly you can get more negative camber. Point being just becuase they did not intend you to have the ability to adjust camber doesn't mean you can't.

That being said, as the stock rules stand now there is little you can do to improve (for autocross) the camber settings.

17. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

My goal is to get the car to rotate easily. So increase front camber, reduce rear camber, then play with toe. Also get the settings to be the as close to symmetrical when I am sitting in the car. I realize that getting this done on this car may not be possible, but we'll see what we can get out of it once it is up on the rack.

18. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

The problem is, how do your competitors know that? That's why I'm sticking with wheels and exhaust and saving $500.

So far I have 23 weekends and 34 days of competition sched for this year. Should get a good grasp on G-Street performance.

19. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

If someone wanted to flash and then de-flash using the Cobb AP, they would be wise to get it in writing from Cobb an keep it in case of protest. Plus, I may be wrong about how the AP reflash works, so it would need to be confirmed anyway.
    That is a busy schedule! I would love to attend that many events. I'll be lucky to get 15 events this season.

20. scotth560

scotth560 New Member

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but there is *some flexibility* in the upper strut mounts. I was able to squeeze -0.2 camber out of the fronts by shifting the plate. The factory bolt holes are large. Similar to the E46 BMW upper strut plates. The "loosen the strut bolts and cranking them in" only netted only a gain of -0.1 degree. I am between -1.4 & -1.5 in the front.

21. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Got my car aligned today. Using these bolts I was able to get -2 on the Left and only -1.65 on the Right. Anybody else have this imbalance?