Car shutting off/stalling after putting gas

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by OxWhiteFiST92, Mar 5, 2014.

1. wash

wash Active Member

I've not had this problem in 13,000+ miles. That's at least 40 fill ups.

I do not top off ever, just go until the pump stops.

I fill up when I'm almost empty or know I need more fuel for a trip. My lowest point refill was showing 5 miles remaining. Most of the time I'm showing around 30 miles remaining when I fill up.

I just wanted to chime in because I have been doing many of the things you are worried about for quite a while and it hasn't caused any problems for me.

Unless something changed between my first batch car and yours, I don't think those behaviors are to blame.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. FordService

FordService Official Ford Representative

You're welcome! Keep me updated; I'm here if you need me.

Hiya scooby2, welcome to the forum!

If you'd like me to loop in your customer service manager, send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

4. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

Filled up today and nearly had the car stall at a light 50m away from the gas station. I didn't "top up" the tank either. Stopped filling after hearing the first click. Has there been any remedies to this issue?

5. ghostwhite

ghostwhite Active Member

I noticed this the first time I filled up but I haven't noticed it since then, it's been 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

Yeah, I'm not freaking out or booking a service appt. just yet. Figure I'll wait a bit and see if it reoccurs.

7. Ca5p3r

Ca5p3r Member

I'm at roughly 7800 miles on the odo with about 33 fillups (91 octane). I don't top off. I have done a couple fillups starting with 20 miles left and the gas light on. I have never had any issues with stalling except when I wasn't paying attention and pulled the clutch out too quickly without pressing the gas pedal... oops.

8. OxWhiteFiST92

OxWhiteFiST92 Member

Update: after those first couple of fillups the car DOES NOT have this problem anymore :)

9. jlonganecker

jlonganecker New Member

I own a 2014 Fiesta St

I would fill up my car with gas and then if my car was idling it would stall. If I was driving around for several minutes I would not have this problem.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the purge valve (I believe). It was covered under the warranty and I stopped having this problem.

10. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

I've had similar problems, but the car would never stall. After I fuel up with premium gas if I came to a red light shortly after fueling I would get hesitation. It felt like it was going to stall but didn't. When the pump clicks off the first time I don't try and put anymore gas in. I have noticed early on after getting the car even the smallest amount of gas trying to top up the tank would result in gas over flowing onto the ground from under the car. So I wonder if part of the problem is the car is sensitive to overfilling the tank and possibility causing these stalling issues?

11. jlonganecker

jlonganecker New Member

sometimes it would drop RPMs and not stall on my car, other times it would stall. If I hit the gas when rpms, were dipping it would not stall. Going to dealer fixed the problem and I didn't have to pay anything. The dealer told me they had others who were experiencing this problem too.

It is probably a defective part aka purge value (if I remember correctly).