Car will be sitting for a few weeks

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by smatty, Nov 9, 2014.

1. smatty

smatty Member

I am not that worried but I thought I'd see if anyone has had any issues with letting the car sit around for a few weeks...

I wish I had a robot mode that would drive it around for a few minutes each week.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Granted, I'm in dry and sunny SOCAL, but I *just* started my car after sitting for over a month. The battery was on the low side but cranked right up.

It helps to attempt the first start after a long period during the warmest part of the day (favorable battery chemistry properties!).

4. koozy

koozy Active Member

Mine has been sitting for about 4 months with short drives here and there as I install parts on it, but mostly sitting because another car is getting more of my attention right now. I also hook the battery up to a battery tender to keep it from deteriorating.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  5. MRC

MRC New Member

Hi from New Zealand... What type of battery tender do you use? Our cars are German assembled and have a 'Silver Calcium' battery fitted from the factory. The Deltran tender I use for my bike and other cars doesn't seem to bring the Fiesta battery right up to full charge. Any advice would be appreciated...

6. koozy

koozy Active Member

I also use a Deltran Battery Tender® Plus 12V @ 1.25A (PN 021-0128) that I alternate with my motorcycle. It has no problems bringing the Fiesta battery to full charge. The battery in the car is a Motorcraft fitted from the factory.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  7. McRib 1s Back

...on a related note, I recently switched to "AGM" (Absorbed Glass Material) on my Jeep. It doesn't get started with any regularity but fires right up, every time. Many manufacturers claims their AGM cells will keep a charge for over two years. I have an Odyssey, and it's great.

The only drawback is that it's much heavier than a stock battery, and costs up to 2x more. On the plus side, it's also rated at twice the exoected life (ten years on this one!). These are popular in off-road circles for the ability to better withstand vibrations.

I plan to put one in my tow rig when its battery dies (a VW TREG TDI). I won't do this in my FiST, since it's a dedicated track car...but for a daily driver, it would be fine! Since my car is down for a cage and other work, I may move the battery to the back.

Anyhow, if you don't want the weight and expense of AGM, a "Yellow Top" (deep discharge) Optima would do well. This is something to think about it if you find yourself worried this kind of thing.

8. koozy

koozy Active Member

I had a red top in my Evo 8 and will consider one for the ST when it needs one. Good AGM battery.

9. MRC

MRC New Member

Thanks people...I think I have sourced a battery tender locally that will charge/maintain the Silver Calcium battery. I want to keep the car stock (other than some Mountune bits...) and am only concerned about leaving it for some months if/when we travel which we are hoping to do next year.

10. McRib 1s Back

...my AGM Odyssey happens to be a "red top", but wanted to clarify that the ordinary Optima Red Top is NOT an AGM battery. Their claim is higher density through their "spiral wound" configuration, and it's certainly better than most. I left Optima when they had a spate of QA issues, but heard the quality is better again.

11. ZREXER

ZREXER Member

Living in the frozen North, I am use to putting away specialty cars and motorcycles for extended periods, up to 5 months. I give the car/bike a good cleaniing. Add Stabil to the gas, take it out for a long drive to get the stabil circulated through the entire fuel system. I change the oil, so dirty oil is not percolating inside your engine during it's down time in storage. Will either pump tires up quite high to prevent/reduce flat spotting or will block up car so tires are not bearing any weight. I put on a battery tender.
    I do not start the car at all during it's hibernation. Best to put them away hot after a long drive, all moisture out of the exhaust. Starting and running for short periods during the winter just adds condensation to your oil and exhaust systm, does more harm than good.
    I find in the spring, my bikes/cars fire up immediately and drive like they had never missed a day.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Sekred likes this.
  12. McRib 1s Back

That's a great plan! Stabil is good stuff, and while our FiST seems to tolerate ethanol, most bikes do not. Thankfully I have not had to do this in a LONG time. For all of the grief we deal with in SOCAL, it's still the weather that keeps us hanging around! :)

Part of why I start my cars and bikes during small periods of downtime is to deal with the moisture (crank case and exhaust on the bikes).