CG Lock vs. 4 Point Harness

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Slowclimb, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

Put the Mighty Tite on top of the buckle on the shoulder harness, pull the lap portion of the belt tight by pulling upwards on the shoulder harness then lock the shoulder harness by flicking it or tugging quickly so it locks, crank the Mighty Tite up until the harness gets as snug as you want it.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'll try that tomorrow! :)
  4. McRib 1s Back

We were having fun, joking, but this really is a serious topic. Which version HANS Device did you get? Did you get quick releases? I'll check it out, tomorrow.
  5. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yes I was just kidding.
    I did look into a real HANS Device before however.
    It is not practical until you have a full cage and the seat must be anchored to the cage pod.

6. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I just got to try my Mighty Tite yesterday for the first time. I installed it on the B Pillar below where the shoulder harness goes through the factory height adjuster. I slid the seat back and latched the belt like normal, then pulled the slack out of it by hand. I cranked the Mighty Tite til it had a good loop of belt on the spindle and then slid my seat forward to my driving position and adjusted the Mighty Tite to get just the right tension. It was great :) Both shoulder and lap belts were TIGHT and with the Recaros I wasn't going anywhere. When I was done with my run I just slid the seat back and unlatched the belt leaving the Mighty Tite in place. Next time I just had to latch the belt again and slide the seat forward. I'm sure any device like this is not recommended in a crash, but on the autox course I feel okay with using it.
  7. Torso strap? 6') of 2" blue nylon webbing, 1) ITW Nexus GT buckle. 1) Trip to canvas shop to sow buckle onto webbing.
    About 25$ total.
  8. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

9. McRib 1s Back

I ran my last track day with this setup too, and agree for the reasons you pointed out. It's a quick and easy method to sit more snugly in the seat.

This device actually seems perfectly safe to me for crash conditions. I'd even argue that it might be better in some cases (where you have to shore up excess tension before impact). Provided you don't cut or abrade your belts in the process, I don't see a problem with this, even in a crash. About the only thing to worry about is where this bulky device is in relation to other body soft tissue.

I have since switched to a Sparco Evo 2 (US) seat and no longer need mine (see related thread if interested). If one of the local guys want to try this, you can borrow mine. :)
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  10. Cligedy likes this.
  11. And I really need the harness pads as I have a Ti plate and six screws reinforcing my left collar bone. The un-padded seat belt strap tends to rub over them without.