Clutch actuation on Fiesta

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by reddog99, Sep 1, 2013.

1. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Can anyone tell me how the Fiesta clutch is actuated?
    Is it hydraulic or cable?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Based on a share or what appears to be a shared reservoir my guess is Hydraulic. cant say I recall the last car that had a cable clutch since my 1990's integra's
    ST Supplement 1st printing (.pdf)
    Motorcraft manual Page 18

"E" listed under Maintenance Under Hood Overview
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

The current ('12-'14) non-ST Fiesta uses Hydraulic actuation.
    I do not see why this would change on the ST.

5. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Thanks. I got curious after reading about problems in another model Ford.
  6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

That be the FoST ??
  7. amathophobia

amathophobia Member

Just read up on the problems people have been having on the FoST and holy hell that is scary. Hope this sort of business doesn't happen with the FiST. Does the non turbo fiesta 1.6 also use a plastic slave cylinder?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4
  8. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

What kind of problems does the FoST have?
  9. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

it is hydraulic, and after getting back into my 2011 Fiesta this morning, the ST has a little bit stiffer clutch pedal.

I am also unaware of any Focus ST issues relating to the slave cylinder. I have a few friends with them, and I have not heard any of them having issues.
  10. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

There are a number of complaints on about slave cylinders failing and causing the clutch to just sink into the floor.
  11. amathophobia

amathophobia Member

12. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

After reading that, I find myself pining for the "good old days" of simple direct actuation, where if something were to go wrong (infrequently), then all the parts were external to the bellhousing and easily accessible. What was gained by making the system hydraulic is a mystery to me. o_O
  13. amathophobia

amathophobia Member

The clutch on my 1995 Prelude is hydraulic and both the master and slave cylinder are easily accessible just by opening the hood. Not to mention that they're made of cast metal. Most of all why would you make something that is supposed to withstand high pressure out of plastic? WTF Ford?
  14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

The slave that is failing is the part inside the clutch area that moves the throw out bearing. I think your Honda would have a slave on the outside moving the throw out bearing lever and I have had them fail too on my Acura's Just they are easy to fix on the out cars as you can get to them without dropping the tranny .. Light weight and lower costs makes plastic the material of choice I would think ...
    looks something like this I would imagine