Cold Air Intake?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by mamiata1, Oct 31, 2013.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

It's hard to argue with that. I have a feeling that if we only use a stationary dyno (like the only kind we have!), we'll miss something (e.g., the dyno shows negligible gains and we conclude it's not worth it).

Consider what the wide variety of racing genres do here. You'll see all kinds of CAI setups in almost every form of racing. That suggests they value this setup, maybe even if the dyno doesn't tell the whole story.

Here's something else to consider. Before we had easy access to dynos (mid-to-late 90s), we used the factory OBD II tool from Nissan to measure MAF voltage gains; it was a reliable way to see power on the move. We'd get this rig going along with our Horiba diagnostics, bung up an O2 sensor and go for a ride! We were looking for voltage gains and near-enough stoichiometric AFR. We made some fast cars like that. :)

While the company is a shadow of its former self, JWT and Clark Steppler were amazing tuners for all things Nissan. They were so good that they tuned wildly different makes. One famous Honda drag race car with a Nissan ECU (16 bit setup and converted to MAF) comes to mind here.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

McRib,
    I know that I can read the MAF sensor with my Snap-On scan tool.
    Have you checked if you can read it with the AccessPort?
    I have not checked my AP as I don't really use it for a gauge.

Dave

4. McRib 1s Back

It looks like we might have something. I just read the tech specs in their PDF; I'll play with the tool tomorrow. 0-5v is logged for air flow (non-linear, probably LOG 10).

5. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

By "we" I have to assume you mean people born in the 80's ?? :p The dynos I used in the 70's were fairly easy to access. All that was necessary was to pay the business that ran the unit, just like today!

Of course OBD didn't come along until 1991. Until then we had to use our ears for diagnostics, or an O-scope where available.

6. McRib 1s Back

Yes sir, I thought someone might be tickled by that! I suspect I'm one of the older guys here, but you have me *soundly* beat. :)

I really just meant that the 90s saw an explosion of the import tuner scene. The people wanted to measure gains. As a result we had more dyno choices for cheaper rates. At the time, I was in San Diego; it was incredible how many shops sprouted up nearly overnight! It also gave rise to something resembling a "standard" -- of course comparisons are only valid for the same conditions on the same dyno.

OBD was a mixed blessing (and I think OBD II was either 1994 or 1995; 95 was the first year for Nissan, anyhow). I recall all of the conspiracy theorists at work. Anyhow, this is one standard that definitely improved the industry (even if we felt locked out of information we had a "right" to access!). We thought OBD II meant the end to tuning cars! That didn't happen...

So, that was the interface to the car's "secrets" that allowed us to effectively measure gains. While we're in the early days here, it might be a good place to see what we can measure, once again.

In a few months none of this may matter. We old guys can reminisce about that too. ;)

Firesail likes this.