Consumer Reports Review

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST News and Reviews' started by Neely2005, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

The Fiesta ST is reviewed in the January 2014 issue of Consumers Reports. It received a score of 80 out of 100.

It's now the highest rated small sporty hatchback ahead of the Fiat 500 Abarth which scored a 71 and the Mini Cooper S which scored a 74.

For comparison the regular Ford Fiesta was reviewed in the January 2011 issue and it received scores of 65 for the SES Manual and 61 for the SE Sedan Automatic. The SES Manual was the second highest rated in the category at that time. The SE Sedan was fourth.
    Blinkrz likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Devon

Devon Member

Thanks for the comparative data!

Nice to see the wide spectrum of favorable opinion for the FiST - from Consumer Reports to heavy-duty enthusiast media like EVO and Top Gear. Evidence of a truly flexible, multi-functional package.
  4. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

In the Consumer Reports annual auto issue (April 2014) the Ford Fiesta ST is rated 6th out of 16 cars in the 'Sporty Cars' category. The ratings are as follows:

1. Nissan 370Z
    2. Scion FR-S
    3. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
    4. Ford Mustang GT
    5. Subaru BRZ
    6. Ford Fiesta ST
    7. Ford Mustang (V6)
    8. Volkswagen Jetta GLI
    9. Ford Focus ST
    10. Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    11. Fiat 500 Abarth
    12. Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (V8)
    13. Hyundai Genesis Coupe (V6)
    14. Honda Civic Si
    15. Dodge Challenger R/T (V8)
    16. Chevrolet Camaro 2LT (V6)
  5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

So there's two cars between the frs & brz? Makes sense. Jetta beats focus st? Ok.

This list is gonna aggravate some internets.
  6. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

I'll try to post the actual scores for each car later tonight.
  7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Hmmm I own/owned 4 on the list in the last 4 yrs (3 in the top 6) ..o_O yeah for me midlife crisis much ?? Also how can you have a Sporty car list without a MAZDA anything on it ??
    SpaceFish likes this.
  8. jariten

jariten Member

The people at Consumer Reports always boggle my mind. I do go to the library and look at their reviews when I'm buying vacuums or a clothing iron or something though.
    RodMoe likes this.
  9. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Okay here are the Scores (Out of 100):

1. Nissan 370Z - 86 Points
    2. Scion FR-S - 83 Points
    3. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR - 83 Points
    4. Ford Mustang GT (V8) - 83 Points
    5. Subaru BRZ - 82 Points
    6. Ford Fiesta ST - 80 Points
    7. Ford Mustang (V6) - 76 Points
    8. Volkswagen Jetta GLI - 76 Points
    9. Ford Focus ST - 74 Points
    10. Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart - 72 Points
    11. Fiat 500 Abarth - 71 Points
    12. Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (V8) - 71 Points
    13. Hyundai Genesis Coupe (V6) - 70 Points
    14. Honda Civic Si - 70 Points
    15. Dodge Challenger R/T (V8) - 67 Points
    16. Chevrolet Camaro 2LT (V6) - 60 Points
  10. Jutz

Jutz New Member

Lol, what caused the 1 point difference in the BRZ and FR-S? It's like $1k cheaper? Is there a warranty difference? That's pretty hilarious to me.
  11. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

I would assume it came down to value?
  12. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

The BRZ has a stiffer suspension. Other than minor trim differences. That's the only difference.

Sent via poles, wires and telegraph 2.
  13. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

I'd have to go back to the issues that have the full reviews but it could be anything really. Do the 2 cars have the exact same Interior, MPG, Radio / Infotainment System, Braking, Crash Test results, Handling & Suspension... ?
  14. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Well that could be it. A harsher ride or poorer results (braking, acceleration, handling... ) on the test track could be the reason.
  15. wash

wash Active Member

I would give the accuracy maybe +/-4 points...
  16. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

The October 2014 issue of Consumer Reports has a small write up on the Fiesta ST.

There's an article titled 'Hits and misses of 2014'. The Fiesta ST is a Hit and they say the following:

"Yes, it's frugal, affordable, and easy to park, but this hot hatch is also exciting to drive. It won us over with its razor-sharp handling, near telepathic steering, amazing braking, and invigorating exhaust bark. We also measured a great 29 MPG overall."
    moff3tt likes this.