Cowl/hood foam seals not installed on all units...

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by Joe Schmoe, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Ca5p3r

Ca5p3r Member

VIN: 3FADP4GX2EM171771

my FiST has the foam. I live in grand forks, ND. Dealership grabbed it from somewhere in MN.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

Another Michigan here, I do have them.

4. ISO100

ISO100 Member

Holy smokes is that a ghetto fix or what?

5. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Yes, it is. And it's shameful. The problem with snow blocking the intake and/or freezing the fan has been documented since the car was first sold here in 2010.
    A good fix would probably require a redesigned air intake. I don't understand why the Europeans don't have the problem.

ISO100 likes this.
  6. ISO100

ISO100 Member

Just checked mine. No foam. So what bad stuff will happen come winter?

7. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

Some guys have been getting snow in the vents. I know some guys here in Canada had the problem last winter. Snow and ice getting down in the vents. Luckily mine has the foam covers installed

8. eRic

eRic Active Member

my Fiesta ST does not have the foam however I didn't have any issues in winter that I'm aware of. the heater worked.

9. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

If snow/ice blocks the vents, then you'll not have any air from the outside.
    If the snow on the vents melts and drips into the fan/motor, and the temperature inside the car drops below freezing, then the water in the fan will freeze and prevent the fan from turning, and thus prevent the defroster from functioning.

FWIW, I don't have the foam either, but since I live in sunny So. California, I don't have to worry (theoretically). I actually live in the mountains where we do get snow, but I also park in a garage, so it hasn't been a problem.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  10. ISO100

ISO100 Member

Yikes. I'm here in MD without a garage. This could be very bad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

11. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

I had this TSB done on my car earlier this year. From what the dealer told me its gets installed somewhere under dash area, not visible to the eye without taking things apart.

12. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

Mine was built May 14, 2014. It does not have the foam bits. I assume that they implemented a change at the factory after the TSB was issued.

13. jariten

jariten Member

I'm in NOVA and do not have the foam. Made it through last winter with no problems at all. I always first cleared the vents then started the car on defrost then cleaned off all the snow. I figure any water that got down there was cleared out during the drive so there wasn't an issue.

14. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  15. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I have lived without foam on my 2011 for the past 4 years and never had any issues with the fan/HVAC working in the winter. We had something like 170" of snow last winter and did not have a problem. The foam is nice to have, but I don't see it not being there as an indication the HVAC won't work in the winter.