Creaking/metal popping when turning

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by mrtn, Jun 19, 2015.

1. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Only a few weeks after I had my rear breaks fixed due to seizing I am now having a creaking/popping noise from the front when the car is moving slowly while turning. Doesn't happen all the time but it's getting worse I think. I can hear the noise and feel it in my steering wheel.

I've read about strut bushings and tie rods, steering fluid, and suspension. The car drives fine still.

I've booked it for service on Monday but I'm wondering if there's any insight here. Or maybe the Canadian Ford rep here can help.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Nothing eh?
    I took the car in and the mechanic couldn't hear the noise, go figure. But they checked out the car and said everything looks good.

So what is this noise!?

4. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

CV Joint?

5. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

The tech said they couldn't find anything wrong with the steering or suspension. It only seems to make noise after I've driven for a bit. I feel it thought the steering wheel when it happens but I'm also just releasing the brakes... Maybe the brakes?

6. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

It's hard to tell what you're doing when it's making the sound. Since it makes the sound at a low speed you might see if you can have someone drive it around in an open area while you listen from outside. Might be a bit easier to pinpoint. I wouldn't rule out brakes. On my current car (not Fiesta) I've recently had a lot of noise issues. Thought it was the struts. Turned out to be a missing bolt on a front caliper, a missing nut on the rear transmission mount, and because of that the front trans mount was getting loose. To top it all off my transmission's differential started clicking today. I noticed even after tightening all that other stuff back up it was still making a noise that seemed steering related. And then it starts clicking on me... Noises are hard to pinpoint.

7. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Took the car back to the dealer today and the found it! Upper strut mount apparently. Car is safe to drive still but I'm taking it back Monday to get it fixed.

8. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

So it turns out it wasn't the upper strut mount. It was the front caliper locks. Car is fixed up. Although since they had the entire left strut out I asked if it needs an alignment and they said no. That right?

9. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

Shouldn't need an alignment, none of that work would have involved adjusting the tie rods.

10. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Good to know! Thanks Steve.