Crickets anyone? (Engine sound)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by HardcoreFiSTing, Nov 7, 2014.

1. HardcoreFiSTing

HardcoreFiSTing New Member

I've noticed an odd engine sound in my car for a few weeks. I'm not sure if this is new, or if it has been there all along and I'm just now noticing it.

The motor has a higher pitched chirp/tick kind of sound, kind of a high frequency cricket type noise. It seems to vary with RPM and gets louder with throttle.

I understand that direct injection can make some interesting noises, but was curious if anyone else had noticed this. Being unfamiliar with DI motors, I'm immediately paranoid that I'm hearing some sort of valvetrain issue.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Just take it in before the warrantee runs out.

4. HardcoreFiSTing

There isn't anything to take it in for if they all make this sound, which is the question I'm asking.....

5. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

If you have not thrown a rod, bent a valve, catch fire, or have white smoke pouring out the tail pipe, i think you're good. I have 1600 miles on my car and it clicks and clacks. It wants to be a diesel, but its not. Keep telling it, but it doesnt want to listen.

6. HardcoreFiSTing

I don't think I've done any of that, but, it would be reassuring to know of this sound is common.

It's a very whistley chirpy kind of tick or buzz..... Strange little noise.

7. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Is that with the hood open with your head over it?

8. ppepitoyou

ppepitoyou New Member

could be your turbo spooling? :)

9. HardcoreFiSTing

No, in the car while driving. Very faint sound.

10. HardcoreFiSTing

No.

11. HardcoreFiSTing

As a side note, has anyone noticed how much more rowdy these cars sound with the seats down? When you get into boost you hear some pretty good sound from back there.

12. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

I just installed an Injen intake, so all i hear is the blow off valve doing its job... And what a sweet sound it is.

13. HardcoreFiSTing

I keep telling myself to install Boltons and....well.... Anything I can still hear after that might actually be an issue. lol.

I need to stay SCCA HS legal, so that kind of limits my options.

14. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Legal schmegal! Not tracking my FiST. I'm building a '93 Jetta for that.

15. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Does it change with throttle input?

16. HardcoreFiSTing

My C5z isn't legal for any class it could be competitive in (except for our local, open, street tire class), so I plan to keep my FiST legal for stock class SCCA AutoX so that I finally have something to participate in when I venture outside of my local region.

17. HardcoreFiSTing

Yes. And changes somewhat with rpm.

I keep thinking it's the injectors I'm hearing.

18. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Could be that BS sound hose they plummed into the firewall so you here the intake.

19. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Rules are meant to be broken... Followed by an evil laugh!

20. HardcoreFiSTing

Definitely not the sound symposer.

Although I really don't get why people hate that so much. People bitch more about Ford creating a pathway for actual engine noise to enter the cabin than they ever did about BMW playing completely fake sounds over the stereo.

As consumers and regulatory bodies pressure manufacturers to make quieter and quieter cars, things like that are the sound symposer are going to be the only way you hear anything. Without it, these cars would be nearly silent with the windows up. Fuck that.

21. HardcoreFiSTing

Yea, it wouldn't be hard to get away with a tune it something of that nature, but an intake would be pretty blatant.